#1 babysteps

babysteps

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:42 PM

gluten-free-friendly chef, whoo-hoo :)

So, my spouse is now the chair of the CT chapter of AIWF (The American Institute of Wine and Food). Spouse is busy organizing events, and his second event will be a BYOB at Epernay Bistro in Bridgeport, CT on Tues Jun 29th - the chef/owner Peter Wroe put together a menu that is gluten-free *except* for dessert (Peter said gluten-free folks can probably sub fruit) - we didn't ask, he just responded to spouse's mention that I was gluten-free. I have eaten there before cleanly, but this is not a gluten-free restaurant - it is a dietary-restriction friendly restaurant since they make just about everything from scratch. If you are interested, more info at www.aiwf.org/connecticut/ .

Menu:
Mesclun Salad with Bleu d'Avergne cheese and sherry vinaigrette
Pan Roasted Atlantic Salmon with cannellini beans & green herbs
Grilled Breast of Duck with wild mushroom and roast potatoes
**not gluten-free** Toasted Almond Cake with caramel cream (gluten-free diners can probably sub fruit)
gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007
3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)
suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies
Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kschauer

kschauer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:21 AM

Thanks for the info, I'll be in the area next weekend :)
Gluten free since October 2007
Houston, TX

#3 babysteps

babysteps

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:22 PM

@kschauer, other places to consider - not sure exactly where you'll be or what transport you'll have:

Valencia Luncheria, Norwalk - Venezuelan beach food including lots of Arepas (corn cakes, all corn - they use Pan pre-cooked masa harina, says "may contain wheat" although seems okay for most - but not all - on this board, I eat there cleanly)

Dolphin's Cove, Bridgeport - this is in a sketchier area than Epernay Bistro, but the sketchiness is mostly cosmetic (if you prefer malls to lower income neighborhoods, this may not be for you) - eat on the deck overlooking Bridgeport harbor and the ferries and enjoy fresh lobster specialties (the pumps for the holding tanks offer background noise) and Portuguese food (the plain grilled quail appetizer is great! there is also a seasoned quail app that is not gluten-free).

Match, South Norwalk - more of a splurge, but very tasty and since it's high-end, they know exactly what's in the food and can guide you to what's safe

Of course there's lots more, but those are a few of my favorites. Have a great visit!
gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007
3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)
suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies
Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

#4 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:07 PM

Burton's Grill in South Windsor. OH. MY. GOD. Can you say fried food? WONDERFULLY fried food. I had onion rings. Do you know how long it's been since I had onion rings?

Also, Egg's Up Grill in Portland. Owner has Celiac, so gluten-free pancakes, muffins, toast, english muffins, and all your normal stuff too.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: