This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Issue With Tidying Up

stef-the-kicking-cuty

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

I have problems with getting started with tidying up around here. And honestly, I can not to save my life to bring myself to do that. There's always something else coming up as it seems. And I know, I know, this subject should not be connected to celiac and it isn't (I think :unsure: ), however I've wondered about that, since a lot of people with gluten issues have ADHD, Asperger's, or some other disease, that alters the brain somehow. So there might be a problem with "idling" when it comes to tidying up. I don't know, it just doesn't click. For some reason the motivation is missing. And my mother coming over on Friday should be reason enough, but it's just not enough apparently :huh: . Anyways, this is really, really, reeeeaaaaally going on my nerves and I can remember a few years back I had a workout diary for me, for when I trained for the World Championships, on here and that one worked out great. It was great motivation, because I had a lot of people listening to me and therefore needed to do something. So I was accountable kind of. I was wondering, if you guys could be my "motivators" and kick me in the behind, when a day passes and I've done nothing. At the same time, I was thinking, I can't be the only one with this problem :( , so if you like to do that, too, that's probably fun to do. Just like with the one workout thingy, that somebody started at the beginning of the year (and I posted on it yesterday btw, but it does still not show up in the new topics), we could write down our goals and see, how much we did get accomplished let's say at the end of each week.

Looking forward to this! I have a feeling this would be a great motivation! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Sorry, Stef! I have no desire to clean! ;)

Actually, I do better if I just tackle 1 small part at a time.

Actually, I do better if I just tackle 1 small part at a time.

The "small part at a time" is not the problem. I used to do that, before I was pregnant. The "I don't even get started, even if I only have one small part at a time" is the problem. That's why I asked for some help in motivation. :P

ciavyn Contributor

Hey Stef -- two things.

1. Real Simple has an article on organizing this month. It talks about organizing for your style and ability. I haven't read it yet but I just bought it. :)

2. Open Original Shared Link I'm told this is wonderful. So maybe it would help?

Good luck. I have ADD, and the idea of cleaning out and organizing must strike, or it is hopeless. So I've learned to be happy living in a bit of mess and chaos. We are very functional, and I'm NOT a hoarder, so it works out okay for moi. On some level, I just had to accept that about myself.

Haha, thank you. Now I'm not only addicted to Facebook, but to FlyLady as well :P great site, will come back here, when I'm done reading, let's say in a week or so? Then I'm going to miss leaving to pick up my mother at the airport, do NOT clean up, because I'm reading FlyLady and by the time I realize, my mother is M.I.A. it looks so bad here, I don't want to pick her up anymore...

No, seriously, I already love that webpage, thanks for posting. I'm going to hold off getting "Real Simple" for right now, cause I try to save money everywhere and a little bit (such as a magazine) counts as well. I've been successfully passing Mickey D's for like 4 months now, except of when Lukas is with me. So, if I have the willpower to not get a hot fudge Sunday and save a dollar here and there, I also have the willpower to not get any magazines. Oh, and I AM a horder. It kills me. I wish I weren't and I want to do something about it, but I don't know how. Maybe I can find "Real Simple" online and get some help. I should also talk to my therapist maybe she knows what to do.

Any other help is greatly appreciated. I put that page in my favorites already.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Haha, thank you. Now I'm not only addicted to Facebook, but to FlyLady as well :P great site, will come back here, when I'm done reading, let's say in a week or so? Then I'm going to miss leaving to pick up my mother at the airport, do NOT clean up, because I'm reading FlyLady and by the time I realize, my mother is M.I.A. it looks so bad here, I don't want to pick her up anymore...

No, seriously, I already love that webpage, thanks for posting. I'm going to hold off getting "Real Simple" for right now, cause I try to save money everywhere and a little bit (such as a magazine) counts as well. I've been successfully passing Mickey D's for like 4 months now, except of when Lukas is with me. So, if I have the willpower to not get a hot fudge Sunday and save a dollar here and there, I also have the willpower to not get any magazines. Oh, and I AM a horder. It kills me. I wish I weren't and I want to do something about it, but I don't know how. Maybe I can find "Real Simple" online and get some help. I should also talk to my therapist maybe she knows what to do.

Any other help is greatly appreciated. I put that page in my favorites already.

With the hoarding issue it helped me to realize why I was hoarding. After much thought and a bit of therapy I can to realize that for me it was because I had lost everything more than once in my life. Once I realized that I tackled on thing at a time. Books, for example, I would go through one bookcase at a time, only keeping what I really thought I might read again. I then Ebayed or donated the excess. I slowly got rid of 5 full size bookcases that way. You could also go through what you hoard and see if anything might be sellable through Ebay or another on line site. With my doll collection I made the choice to only keep ones that were a certain size or under. I Ebayed the rest and got quite a bit of extra money. I have continued on with other stuff. Donating or selling as I go.

I have some trouble with ADD also and find when I am cleaning I easily get sidetracked. I have to make a concious effort to get myself back on track.

I make lists of what needs to be done, priortize them and then make a goal of completing at least one thing on that list.

My house is still less clean than I would like but I am getting there.

kareng Grand Master

Oh goody! One more thing for me to do besides clean! :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

I have to lie to myself. "OK, I'm not gonna clean, but I'll just <insert small task> so that when I do get around to cleaning it'll be much easier." Usually by the time I've sorted the junk mail, taken out the trash, picked up stuff from the floor, etc, there isn't much left to do when I do convince myself to clean. :P

missy'smom Collaborator

Maybe I'm coming at this from a different angle, but I've gotten to the point where what energy I have, I no longer want to be spent solely on kitchen duties and housework. Now that I am feeling much better, I want to have a bit of a life! Or at least not work so darn hard. It's hard enough work keeping myself in good working order. So, I have been trying to find someone to help with the chores-I figure there are college students who would be happy to have some extra cash and I could hire one to clean or help me clean for a price that is reasonalble. I can't afford someone on a regular basis but every so often or at least at busy times of the year, when I need my energy for other things. I do let things go alot, but I feel so much more relaxed in a clean house plus we have environmental allergies so it helps to keep things clean. I agree with ravenwood about holding onto things coming from past losses, a feeling of security/insecurity. It takes practice to let go. I'm glad to say that I'm at the point where I no longer hold onto things-only those few things that should be held on to. It is an ongoing process, that sort and toss one. Seems never ending!

We have guests coming over this weekend so I've been doing what Jestgar said. I figure I'll so the sort, toss, put away and let the helper do the heavy labor and me save my energy. Then my house will be in good shape for a while.

Cleaning actually isn't that much of a problem. I usually like to clean. It's more that there is no space to put stuff, so it piles up. It's more the working on things and putting things away part, that gets me. And because there are things lying around, that's why I'm not cleaning, cause I would have to move everything from point A to point B and then back. So, even if I would have the money to pay someone, they'd still run into the problem "Well, I can't clean it, cause your stuff is on there."

Man, I must be ADD, the last post is totally not, what I actually wanted to write. What I wanted to write was. I registered for the FlyLady forum on blogtalkradio and for some reason, I can't sign in. I didn't receive a welcome e-mail to click onto a link, so that you are accepted (don't know, what you call that). And when I searched the members, my member name is not in there. I know I signed up. When I tried to register one more time, it said, the e-mail is already taken. Of course, it's taken... by me, dang it. Unlike our forum, there's no posting area, where you could post your technical problems, so I was wondering, if the poster in our glutenfree forum, who recommended this to me in the first place might be on there and have a solution for me. Sorry, can't remember, who that was.

Hey Stef -- two things.

1. Real Simple has an article on organizing this month. It talks about organizing for your style and ability. I haven't read it yet but I just bought it. :)

2. Open Original Shared Link I'm told this is wonderful. So maybe it would help?

Good luck. I have ADD, and the idea of cleaning out and organizing must strike, or it is hopeless. So I've learned to be happy living in a bit of mess and chaos. We are very functional, and I'm NOT a hoarder, so it works out okay for moi. On some level, I just had to accept that about myself.

Ha, I found you. Are you on there yourself and did you maybe have the same problems? I can't sign in with the account I registered. I don't know, what to do.

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Cleaning actually isn't that much of a problem. I usually like to clean. It's more that there is no space to put stuff, so it piles up. It's more the working on things and putting things away part, that gets me. And because there are things lying around, that's why I'm not cleaning, cause I would have to move everything from point A to point B and then back. So, even if I would have the money to pay someone, they'd still run into the problem "Well, I can't clean it, cause your stuff is on there."

*raising hand* :ph34r:

This is me!!!...... (I don't have celiac disease) I constantly struggle with it.

Like you I can motivate myself in other areas (fitness training, reading, cooking) but hate sorting 'stuff'

With 3 kids, there's alot of 'stuff'!

I don't actually have any advice - but it heartens me to know there are 'others' :lol:

kareng Grand Master

This is sooo me! I actually have a cleaning lady every 2 weeks just so I have to clear some of the "stuff". Started some clothes closet stuff yesterday and told myself will do more today. But I'm much too busy with this forum. :)

I get something straightened out and the boys sort of go with the system. They have a space for thier crackers. Instead of putting them on the shelf - one box next to another & the third on top of them - he literally threw them in! Told the other to open the bags of candy and put in the candy drawer. Cut open the bags and set them, bag and all in the bin! Then the one that threw the crackers into the cabinet teased the other about putting the bags in the bin!

My life would be so quiet without teens.

@Nikki: Yes, it's very hard, especially when you have an almost 3 year old, that doesn't let you do, what you want to do. And btw, on FlyLady, they have days or months, where they declutter also. I have a feeling this will be perfect.

OK, I finally got on now, what an ordeal, but someone was very nice and helped. Cool! So let's get addicted :P

OK, my account is now setup, but I still can not post. I have no clue, what is going on. It says, I'm not signed in, when I clearly am. I will keep you guys posted on my progress.

OK, I'm on now. I introduced myself. Lukas is going to his dad in 5 minutes and I'm trying to get started here. I will post my journey :lol:

babysteps Contributor

I'm already a FlyLady convert, and my mother was a hoarder (also her twin still is, and my father's sister was)...

one small thing to add, for me a "to do" list just gets me depressed. Writing down a specific activity at a specific time on my calendar (paper or in my phone) seems to work for me! Not sure why an "appointment" works better, maybe something about doing just 1 thing at a time ;)

Small steps do make a difference! I was never all the way to hoarding, but I had my moments. Now my house is manageable, I have less stuff, and I spend minimum time keeping it that way.

Oh, two other thoughts: 1- if you bring something new (and non-consumable) into your house, let something else go to balance it out. For example, give away or toss an old pair of shoes when you buy a new pair. 2- Karen Kingston's "Clear your Clutter with Feng Shui" - helped me understand why I was so attached to stuff and gave concrete advice on how to let it go; the book title sounds a bit fringe but is actually very down to earth. Perhaps get it at the library so it doesn't add to your clutter :)

Good luck :) I figure we don't need to beat ourselves up too much about clutter, it's a new development for humans so we aren't designed to deal with it yet, we each have to learn for ourselves how to conquer the piles!

Juliebove Rising Star

My house is still a mess but the rule I have is... Each time I get up, I think about the room I'm going to. What goes in that room? I then fill each hand with things that go to that room and I put them away. If there is nothing that goes there, I still pick up some things even if it means making a detour to another room. I also keep trash and recycle containers throughout the house.

Thanks to all for your help. I feel more motivated already. Feng Shui is one of my favorite subjects. I've probably read every book in our library already. The strange stuff is, in the past I could help other people with that, but never myself. But I just figured out a few days ago, why. It's not, because I don't like to clean. I like it and I will do it by myself. And it's not because I don't like Feng Shui. I like it. There's just so much clutter, that I can't do either one. So I think, once I've conquered my clutter, I should be fine :P .

I feel better already.

Have a great day, Stef

OK, so today was my first day in the chat and I have to say, it was AWESOME!!! :blink:

I finally got things done... all day long!

Here's a list of what I accomplished without being so fatigued, that I could sleep on the spot:

Collecting and putting away paperwork for Lukas, clean out my pantry and give some glutenfoods to Travis, getting the stuff out that I need for a show on July 2nd, emptying all bags and backpacks and putting the things away that were inside them including the bags themselves, doing the sink in the small bathroom, taking a shower, doing the dishes and putting them away, shine my sink, putting my equipment away, doing some laundry and putting it away, collecting all the broken boards and throwing them out, putting the groceries away, putting the Asian trays into some useful spots, going through grocery ads and coupons, cooking dinner, giving two classes, calling my mother (she's coming tomorrow), calling Aunt Jeanette, calling two of my students, documenting the money I earned today, making a grocery list... I don't think, I forgot anything.

My kitchen and small bathroom are shining. Lukas's room is read up. I'm psyched, but have to go to sleep now. I'm so proud of what I accomplished. B)

Three classes, not two.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

OK, so today was my first day in the chat and I have to say, it was AWESOME!!! :blink:

I finally got things done... all day long!

Here's a list of what I accomplished without being so fatigued, that I could sleep on the spot:

Collecting and putting away paperwork for Lukas, clean out my pantry and give some glutenfoods to Travis, getting the stuff out that I need for a show on July 2nd, emptying all bags and backpacks and putting the things away that were inside them including the bags themselves, doing the sink in the small bathroom, taking a shower, doing the dishes and putting them away, shine my sink, putting my equipment away, doing some laundry and putting it away, collecting all the broken boards and throwing them out, putting the groceries away, putting the Asian trays into some useful spots, going through grocery ads and coupons, cooking dinner, giving two classes, calling my mother (she's coming tomorrow), calling Aunt Jeanette, calling two of my students, documenting the money I earned today, making a grocery list... I don't think, I forgot anything.

My kitchen and small bathroom are shining. Lukas's room is read up. I'm psyched, but have to go to sleep now. I'm so proud of what I accomplished. B)

You should be proud, that was a lot to get done. Give yourself a pat on the back and enjoy the visit with your Mom.

Thank you! My mom is here. She didn't complain, she just said: "So tomorrow I'll clean up here." lmao

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

This is SO my problem too. I just can't seem to get motivated. It has gotten much better since I got off the gluten. Now I at least have the energy to clean most days, I just don't WANT to do it. I'll be watching this thread to see how your progress goes Stef. I tried flylady a few years ago and it didn't work for me. I would spend more time reading the e-mails then I spent cleaning. But I was really sick then and I couldn't even DO most of the things she talked about doing. Now I'm much stronger and maybe I'll give it a try again if it works for you.

Archived