This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lawrys

sdore

sdore Enthusiast

I was going to use their lemon pepper marinade but when I saw that it had modified food startch in it I stopped and emailed them and questioned the source of startch. They wrote th is back below. (does this mean the startch is ok????? Has anyone else had luck with this company??? Any suggestions?????

Hi Stephanie,

Thank you for writing!

Our products are formulated for use by majority of consumers, and not

specifically for those on restricted diets, it is possible our product

formulations may change at any time. Since product formulations change from

time to time, we do not have a printed list of products that identifies those

products that contain specific allergens or gluten. The best advice we can give

you is to check the ingredient list on the label. Ingredients that may contain

any of the top eight allergens as defined by FDA (Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Soy,

Fish, Seafood, Wheat, Eggs, and Milk or Dairy, as well as any ingredient that

may contain Gluten are always listed on the label. Therefore, we suggest

reading all ingredient labels carefully. If you cannot determine whether the

product contains the ingredient in question, we suggest that you don't use it.

We hope this helps!

Your friends at Lawry's

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

As they have said, if any ingredient comes from a gluten containing source (ie. wheat), it would have to be listed. So you can assume that modified food starch does not come from a gluten containing source. I use some of their marinades. Quite a few of them do have wheat/gluten in them, but you should be able to see that on the label, and determine which are safe. Hope this helps you out !

This page lists all marinades and you can ck on their ingredients--

Open Original Shared Link

lovegrov Collaborator

If there's wheat, rye, barley (don't know about oats but that wouldn't be hidden anyway), it will be clearly listed as such. If it's not, then the MFS is safe and so is the product..

richard

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

I thought among the top 8 allergens in the USA is only wheat and not rye, oats and barley. That would mean, that yes, they would list wheat on the label, but not rye oats or barley.

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Oops, didn't see the part that said "as well as any ingredient that

may contain Gluten are always listed on the label". Yes, in that case it should be listed on the label.

cdford Contributor

I contacted Lowry's by phone recently about another of their products. They were very helpful and clearly stated that their products would state any ingredients that would contain gluten.

• 2 weeks later...
grantschoep Contributor

Is this how the law really works? What is listed here, it makes it sound like the product must always state it has wheat/gluten in it. I know of a number of products that do NOT list gluten or wheat as an allegeren BUT, the company says its not gluten free.

Take Van Camps Pork and Beans for example.

I called them up yesterday, I asked if it was gluten free. They said they could not answer the question because of the vinegar that they include. They can't garuntee that that vinegar is gluten free.

But reading the wording the new law, I thought all suppliers for food vendors also had to list them. Con Agra(Van Camps) even claimed this, but sort of back off on it. They said something like.

All the ingredients in our VanCamps P&B are gluten free, except for the unknown distilled vinegar. We cannot gaurentee that it does not have gluten in the vinigar.

They told me that right after they said all the suppliers of ingredients are also required my law to list.

So what is the deal here?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

The new law does not go into effect until January 2006 so for now they can tell you whatever they want. And when the law takes effect, barley, rye and oats do not have to be plainly listed. Some companies do list them, but it won't be required.

However, distilled vinegar is always safe no matter what the source, so it really doesn't matter in this case.

richard

mytummyhurts Contributor

I'm confused about the modified food starch here. So, this particular company WILL list anything containing gluten, right? So what's the food starch, is it corn? Or something else? I guess it's hard for me to explain what I'm talking about. If they will list gluten why not just list specifically what everything is? I guess I mean if they are vague on that then I don't really trust them. Am I making any sense? :unsure:

lovegrov Collaborator

The MFS in this case could be corn, tapioca, potato or a number of other thyings that aren't one of the top 8 allergens or have gluten. The reason they aren't more specific is that the source of the MFS could change and then they'd have to change the label all the time. But they are saying they'll change the label if the MFS suddenly has gluten. BTW, MFS very, very rarely comes fom wheat. It can, but almost never does.

When a company tells me to just read the ingredients I rejoice. This is what I want.

richard

• 7 years later...
CeliacAttacks Newbie

Something a lot of people have put on here is that they HAVE TO list if it contains gluten that is not true. Lots of marinades sauces, and even sodas have something called Caramel Coloring. Many times you have to be suspicious of this stuff. Nobody has to put that is contains barley, or rye even and many times Caramel coloring contains Barley other times it does not you just have to do your research.

Archived