This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can Potateo Flour Be Used As Direct Sub For Wheat?

VydorScope

celiac3270 Collaborator

Cool :). I haven't tried Lays Stax with it--only the original and the wavy lays. But let us know how it turns out. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
Cool :). I haven't tried Lays Stax with it--only the original and the wavy lays. But let us know how it turns out. ;)

hehe well I was standing in the chip isle and I could not rember which chips were good and which were posin, so I went with the old stand by of Staxx which was on sale 4/$5. Not bad :)

Boojca Apprentice

I use the tyson ground chicken too. And I only use regular chips (plain Lays) I've never tried it with the stax. If it doesn't work with the stax don't give up, try again with the plain chips.

And I definitely second what celiac3270 said...they do look weird and unappetizing before they are cooked. The first time I made these I was like, "I am not so sure about this" but boy was I pleasantly surprised!

We like them with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce or Kraft Ranch dressing for dipping.....

Good luck!!

Bridget

VydorScope Proficient
I use the tyson ground chicken too. And I only use regular chips (plain Lays) I've never tried it with the stax. If it doesn't work with the stax don't give up, try again with the plain chips.

I cant think of a good reason off hand why staxx would be much different then plain lays (which I could not remeber if were gluten-free at the time...) cept that they are thicker. Myabe I'll pick up some plain lays on my lunch break and save the staxx for eating. :) Man anyone else have a hard time STOPING once you eat e 2 or 3 of them there stax chips???? :o

fatherof4yearold Rookie
There's a real good recipe for chicken nuggets that you can make and freeze so you can always have for kids that in the Special Diets for Special Kids book. I'll look and see if I made a copy. Betty Hagman has the best recipe books for people with gluten, dairy and nut intolerances. If one of the ingredients will not work for you then she'll put what to substitute it with.

We buy the frozen WellSHire Farms Gluten free chicken nuggets my son loves them!

VydorScope Proficient
We buy the frozen WellSHire Farms Gluten free chicken nuggets my son loves them!

We have them too, but my toddler not real happy with them.

VydorScope Proficient

Well we made them, took about 20 mins too cook not 10, but that might because my wife ahd made them in advance and left them in the fridge till my lunch break. I liked them, and she did... but the jury is still out with my son. He ate some, not much. Takes him a few exsposures to decide sometimes. :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Boojca Apprentice

Glad you liked them. Just so you know, they also freeze REALLY well (after they are baked), and then I just heat them back up at the same time and temp. My daycare microwaves them but I haven't tried that yet so I have no idea how they come out. Melanie (the woman who posted this recipe originally) also makes chicken patties like this for sandwiches and stuff.

Bridget

VydorScope Proficient

Good to know! If he likes it might try ti with ground beef since he does not seem to be to enthralled any other "real" meats right now.

VydorScope Proficient

Aslo my wife wants to know if you can suggest any seasonings to add?

VydorScope Proficient

Well Im not realy sure what this means , but thought you get a kick out of seeing your idea in action :lol:

Open Original Shared Link

CarolX Newbie

I don't remeber where I found this but this is the flour substituion I use:

1 cup of wheat flour equals...

7/8 cup amaranth

7/8 cup garbanzo bean

7/8 cup chickpea (garbanzo)

3/4 cup corn flour

1 cup cornmeal

3/4 cup millet flour

3/4 cup oat flour

5/8 cup potato flour

3/4 cup potato starch

7/8 cup rice flour

3/4 cup soy flour

Hope this helps

VydorScope Proficient
I don't remeber where I found this but this is the flour substituion I use:

1 cup of wheat flour equals...

7/8 cup amaranth

7/8 cup garbanzo bean

7/8 cup chickpea (garbanzo)

3/4 cup corn flour

1 cup cornmeal

3/4 cup millet flour

3/4 cup oat flour

5/8 cup potato flour

3/4 cup potato starch

7/8 cup rice flour

3/4 cup soy flour

Hope this helps

Ummmmmm can I assume you do not mean to mix all that?? hehe :D

Boojca Apprentice

I haven't added any seasonings, so I'm no help there. I guess go with what you like (garlic powder, italian seasoning, etc...)

As for the flour sub. chart, what that means is, for example, for every 1 cup of wheat flour a recipe calls for, sub in just 7/8 cup garbanzo bean flour, etc.... However, I still find my stuff does best with a mix. I use a mix of rice flour, potato starch flour, tapioca starch flour, sorghum flour, and xanthan gum. There may be something else, but I can't recall right now. And, by the way, I'm not sure why oat flour is in there as I would avoid that due to the cross-contamination factor (oats are HIGHLY cross-contaminated with wheat in this country...sigh...)

Bridget

VydorScope Proficient
I haven't added any seasonings, so I'm no help there. I guess go with what you like (garlic powder, italian seasoning, etc...)

As for the flour sub. chart, what that means is, for example, for every 1 cup of wheat flour a recipe calls for, sub in just 7/8 cup garbanzo bean flour, etc.... However, I still find my stuff does best with a mix. I use a mix of rice flour, potato starch flour, tapioca starch flour, sorghum flour, and xanthan gum. There may be something else, but I can't recall right now. And, by the way, I'm not sure why oat flour is in there as I would avoid that due to the cross-contamination factor (oats are HIGHLY cross-contaminated with wheat in this country...sigh...)

Bridget

Hmmm you say...

rice flour

potato starch flour

tapioca starch flour

sorghum flour

xanthan gum

Do you happen to remember how you break that down in parts?

VydorScope Proficient
Hmmm you say...

rice flour

potato starch flour

tapioca starch flour

sorghum flour

xanthan gum

Do you happen to remember how you break that down in parts?

Actully I see in an dif thread you posted :

2 1/2 C Rice flour (brown or white is fine)

1 C Potato Starch Flour

1 C Tapioca Starch Flour

1/4 C Cornstarch

1/4 C Sorghum Flour

2 Tbsp Xanthan Gum

So if I understnad you right, I cna make that up keep in bags in my freezer or somthing and then use cup for cup like flower?

Boojca Apprentice

Absolutely! That's what I do, and so far so good. Except in bread, I haven't strayed from the printed, tried and true bread recipes as I hear they are much harder to convert than others. But for cookies, etc... so far this has worked. Although I do use the Pamela's Baking & Pancake mix for pancakes. But I haven't tried making my own from scratch yet either, bc I really lke this mix. But, again, I recently received my Made By Mona sample pack and there is a pancake mix in there that I need to try soon. Maybe this weekend.

Bridget

VydorScope Proficient
Absolutely! That's what I do, and so far so good. Except in bread, I haven't strayed from the printed, tried and true bread recipes as I hear they are much harder to convert than others. But for cookies, etc... so far this has worked. Although I do use the Pamela's Baking & Pancake mix for pancakes. But I haven't tried making my own from scratch yet either, bc I really lke this mix. But, again, I recently received my Made By Mona sample pack and there is a pancake mix in there that I need to try soon. Maybe this weekend.

Bridget

We used Bobs Mills (I think thats what its called) gluten-free Pancake last week and it was good (well I cheated and added brown sugar....), got a dif brand this week, I think its arrowmills or somthing like that. It was cheaper , so have to try it,

Anna not sold in my part of the world, so can not try all her products that ppl seem to speak so highly of.

Boojca Apprentice

Mona is purely mail order, unless you live in WA then I think you can pick it up from her if you want. She's a real live person and always responds to emails. I LOVE her stuff, and find her prices to be less than most things I buy here (esp. her flours, a 5 lb bag for $7??? Where else can you find that??)

So, give it a thought. www.madebymona.com

Bridget

VydorScope Proficient
Mona is purely mail order, unless you live in WA then I think you can pick it up from her if you want. She's a real live person and always responds to emails. I LOVE her stuff, and find her prices to be less than most things I buy here (esp. her flours, a 5 lb bag for $7??? Where else can you find that??)

So, give it a thought. www.madebymona.com

Bridget

Okay Im confsing Manna By Anna with Mona LOL. Will check her site out...

Archived