9 replies to this topic

#1 lilbit

lilbit

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:33 AM

I'm so new to Celiac that right now I'm considering myself Gluten-lite while I figure out how to be 100% gluten-free. I'm currently in a situation where I'm not able to cook for myself (All I have acess to is a microwave and fridge) I can't have a rice cooker, hot plate, coffee maker- nothing.

So I get my diagnosis and try to figure out how to make this work. I end up at Whole Foods looking for TV dinner type stuff and ended up with major sticker shock! $6 for a tiny TV dinner!! $11 for a teeny loaf of bread??

Cooking is not an option at the moment, so does anyone have any suggestions for "regular" tv dinner-type stuff that I can eat until I get home and can cook for myself.

Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AlysounRI

AlysounRI

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:41 AM

If I can make a suggestion :)

Try not to shop at Whole Foods. Their prices are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high.
If you can get to a stop and shop their prices will be a lot better.
Long history of IBS, and stomach/intestinal problems. Low on iron for all of my life.
Low on energy, with aches and pains in my joints and in my whole body for as long as I can remember.
Mostly lactose intolerant for all of my life (except for yoghurt)
Diagnosed in 2003 by naturapath as wheat intolerant. Tried it then fell of the wagon. In Feb. 2010 tried going gluten-free.
Went back to the poison in March, 2010.
Tested negative for celiac in April, 2010 (based on negative biopsy and normal tTG test). IgA tested 30-40 percent higher than normal.
Not going to fight the diagnosis because I refuse to go back to the poison. Happily gluten-free for health reasons as of April 2010, and not looking back.

#3 lilbit

lilbit

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:54 AM

If I can make a suggestion :)

Try not to shop at Whole Foods. Their prices are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high.
If you can get to a stop and shop their prices will be a lot better.

Good call! I got that advice from someone here... after I paid whole food prices!

#4 buffettbride

buffettbride

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:06 AM

There are a few Weight Watchers Smart Ones meals that are gluten free. Those you can pick up for around $2.50 each at a regular grocery store.

Another cheap and easy option is corn tortillas (we prefer Mission Brand). You can buy a bunch of them for just a few bucks and they keep well in the fridge.

There are a number of Progresso soups that are gluten free. They travel and heat well. We like the Tuscany Chicken, Corn Chowder, and Clam Chowder a LOT.

Yoplait yogurt is good for breakfast. So are Nature's Valley Nut Crunch bars. Rice/Corn Chex are both gluten-free as are the strawberry, chocolate, and cinnamon varieties of Chex.

Microwave popcorn, various canned nuts (or nuts from the produce section) provide some good snacky alternatives that are not expensive and easy to come by (and not full of calories).

There are plenty of chips and other snacky things at the regular grocery store, too (Cool Ranch Dorritos, Smart Food Popcorn, Fritos (plain), Lays Stax, Mission Tortilla Chips (pair with salsa, refried beans, and cheese and you have yourself some cheap nachos).

Hang in there---I know it's got to be tough and EXPENSIVE, but with a little creativity, there really are a LOT of affordable gluten-free options out there if you take the time.

Best of luck to you.

#5 buffettbride

buffettbride

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:08 AM

Also...if you want coffee, we've had good luck with the Starbucks instant coffee called Via. You can microwave some water and have a decent cup of coffee. We take the packets with us camping. They aren't "cheap" per-se, but I'm a coffee lover, and it's better than trying to brew with the "camping coffee pot" when I'm in the woods.

#6 MagpieWrites

MagpieWrites

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:48 AM

For the mornings, can't go much easier than Chex cereal - rice, corn, cinnamon, and chocolate are all gluten free AND can be scooped up on sale for usually between $2-$2.50 ( at least around here ).

Salsa and corn chips, fresh fruits & veggies, cheese, even nutbutter on a corn tortilla will work.

Plain rice (gussy it up with some salsa for spanish rice, add velveeta cheese for what my husband insists on calling "Ghetto Risotto", or even stir in milk, sugar, and cinnamon for a nice dessert or breakfast) cooks pretty easily in a microwave with no special equipment required.

Hope you get out of the situation quick - I can't imagine having to live on frozen dinners!
Diagnosed with celiac in the summer of 09 - after being sick since I was a teen with no answers. I miss "real" pasta - but its a fair trade off for getting my life BACK.

#7 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:06 AM

Looks like Thai Kitchen had some add hot water stuff. Every one of their things in my grocery said gluten-free. Also, a brand called a Taste of Thai. Also, most cold cuts and cheese are gluten-free.

Looking at my IPad app "Is that gluten-free?" it says :
Chicken of the Sea light tuna in Oil & Spring water and White tuna in Spring water are gluten-free.
Dinty Moore microwavable cups - Rice with Chicken and scalloped potatoes and ham
Hormel Compleats Microwavable Meals - Chicken & Rice, SAnta FE Chicken & Rice,Santa FE Style Chicken
Weight watchers Smart ones: Broc & Cheddar, Chicken Santa Fe, Creamy Tuscan Chick, Fiesta Chick, Grilled Chick in Garlic Herb Sauces, Homestyle Chick, Lemon Herb Chick, Santa Fe Rice & Beans

Don't know what brands you have where you live as there are others on this app that I haven't heard of here in Kansas. If you have an I phone or an IPad this app is called "Is that Gluten Free?" Not everything is on it but a lot. I just gave you the mainstream things that would be at a regular grocery or Walmart and less expensive.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:14 AM

In the asian section of many markets, they sell plain rice in tubs that have a plastic sealed top-just nuke and eat. The one I know of is Japanese.

Canned(or pouch) tuna or salmon or chicken dumped on a salad
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#9 lilbit

lilbit

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:28 AM

Awesome! I have no idea why I didn't ask beofre I went to Whole Foods and went broke for three meals :) I gotta be careful with dairy for a little while cause it seems to make everything worse. But since I never had issues before it must be a secondary intolerace thing.

I will totally try those ideas. I miss my rice cooker more than anything at the moment so I'm going to go look for those rice tubs first!

Thanks!

#10 Northern Celiac

Northern Celiac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:50 AM

Grab yourself a one burner hotplate. it's amazing what you can make with a single pot.
An easy one is gluten free pasta( you must learn to not over cook it or it will turn to mush), Canned tomatoes, and fresh chesse(I used parmasen, or romanno) and a pinch of salt and pepper.
As a celiac you have to remember
When in doubt leave it out.
Keep it fresh, keep it simple
Just because it's gluten free doesn't mean it's good for you
http://glutenfreeona...etti-meatballs/
There's some more receipes on this site too
If you have any other questions feel free to PM me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: