This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New To This Board. Have ?'s Endoscopy Friday

taranallan

taranallan Newbie

Hi Everyone :-)

I am new to this board & on the very frustrated. Basically this is my history. Have always battled severe iron deficiency anemia (we think it is because of severe endometriosis, but now I wonder). Fatigue. GERD. Joint pain. Fibromyalgia. IBS (with constipation) Chronic allergies. Some food allergies but we haven't figured out what I am allergic to yet(I sneeze many times after every meal, if that makes sense). Had a hysterectomy back in January of this year. Diagnosed with an ileus on the 18th of January. It resolved, but nause & vomiting did not. Hospitalized for nausea & vomiting from the 18th - 31st of January. Lost 20 pounds during hospital stay. Only gained back about 3 pounds. Still having problems with the nausea & vomiting. Only thing I can keep down are bland foods such as crackers, macoroni & cheese, Slim-Fast, Boosts, toast, etc (even though I do sneeze after eating these foods indicating that I am allergic to something in them). Saw G.I. Dr last week. Immediately ordered an Endoscopy & flex sig for this Friday. What does all this sound like to you? Hubby & I have questioned ourselves in the past about the possibility of it being Celiac disease. Also for those of you who have had an endoscopy, can you please shed some light on it? Dr is going to do it under twilight sedation. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tara

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest jhmom

Hi Tara, welcome.

I am sorry you have had all those health problems. It sounds like you have been through a lot.

I have had an endoscopy, it's not bad at all. Yes they put you in a twilight, my doc used "versed" via IV. As soon as he gave me the meds I do not remember anything. Some docs spray your throat I guess to numb it and keep you from gagging but my doc said the taste of the spray was a lot worse than gagging so he did not use it and I did not feel a thing. I woke up and was fine, a little sleepy but felt good.

I hope you get some answers soon, you will be in my thoughts and prayers :)

Dwight Senne Rookie

My endoscopy was also done under twilight sedation. No problems. Don't remember a thing! Very grogy when I woke up and for several hours after, but otherwise, felt fine. I would consent to having another one done tommorrow without hesitation.

While there are no hard and fast symptoms for every Celiac, I would have to question your case - I would be surprised if you are diagnosed with Celiac. Have you had the Celiac panel (blood tests) done? That would be a good first step prior to the endoscopy.

Although, for me, it was backwards. My doctor did not begin suspecting Celiac until he was performing the endoscopy and seen the tell tale inflamation. Fortunately, his suspicions were strong enough that he took biopsies right away. Before he even got the biopsy results, he asked me to get the Celiac panel done. I failed both and have been gluten free ever since!

Have you discussed the possiblity of Celiac with your Dr.? You should prior to the endoscopy. At least plant the seed in his/her brain so that when they are doing the procedure, the thought will be with them. You can also request biopsies to be taken during the procedure. However, if your doctor does not feel they are justified, your insurance may not cover that part of it.

Best wishes!

Dewey

Marion, IA

judy04 Rookie

Hi Tara,

I'm sorry that you are so ill, I know how you must be feeling.

I have an allergy to wheat. For 3 years I had red, sore, itchy

eyes. My allergist insisted it was "environmentally" caused

by trees, grass, and mold. I had allergy shots, antibiotics,

but nothing helped. In March of 03 I began having GI

problems, nausea, diarrhea, bloating all occuring after eating.

I had gb scans,colonoscopy, and endoscopy. My GI doc

came up w/diagnosis of GERD, IBS, and I had one tiny polyp

in my colon. He gave me fiber pills (they help both constipation

and diarrhea) and a small dose of an antidepressent then

told me to eat a high fiber diet. I improved a little but in Oct 03

I went back and told him I was still sick and having right-sided pain

so hr suggested a Celiac Panel be done, it came back neg for

celiac disease but slight positive for wheat. He told me to avoid wheat,

rye, barley, and distilled vinegar, never told me anything

about gluten or this diet. Fortunately I have been An RN all

of my life so I began to do research, found this site and

learned a lot.

As far as the Endoscopy, the only part I didn't like was

the solution they sprayed in my throat, it had a strong

banana taste. I didn't go completely out, I had Versed,

which he said would wipe out my memory of the procedure,

it didn't but it wasn't unpleasant, the nurses were very

kind and I got colored pictures of my problem areas.

I had to stay in recovery for 30 min., then got up,

went home and slept all day.

I never sneezed around wheat but both my mother and

Grandmother would sneeze about 15 times in a row.

They both had GI problems but not allergies as I have known them.

I hope this helps, I wish you the best of luck in your search for answers..

Archived