36 replies to this topic

#1 Kelly&Mom

Kelly&Mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:55 PM

My daughter was diagnosed in Sept. and me in February. She's 14 and of course loves fast food but we're still figuring out what we can have and can't have. We knew we could have In n' Out fries because they don't fry anything else and used to eat Del Tacos but now they are serving chicken fingers..... Rats! I've seen some debate on whether McDonald's fries are OK. Any answers?
Celiac disease, diagnosed 2/10, symptoms since I was about 13 or so. Mom died of non-Hodgkins lymphoma that originated in her intestinal tract at age 56

Daughter, 14 yrs. old, diagnosed 9/10 after about a year of stomach problems, eczema (now gone!!), also has IBS

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:44 PM

Burger King should be using a dedicated fryer. Double-check at the particular restaurant you visit.

McDonald's does declare a wheat ingredient in the seasoning used in a processing step to make their fries. The finished fries have been independently tested and do not contain enough residual gluten to show up on an ELISA assay. That means they shouldn't cause damage, but not everyone can tolerate them without any GI symptoms. (They're probably safer than Amy's pizza! :P)

#3 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:36 PM

Five Guys is supposed to be good. They only fry fries. They keep the buns away from the grill according to my son.
Chick fill a says their waffle fries are.

I like to get Ore-Ida frozen fries. The plain crinkle ones come out good if you cook them a little longer. They probably have less fat by baking them then a fast food place.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#4 Mizzo

Mizzo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:39 PM

We actually had a Mcdonalds employee tell us not to get the fries as the oil is absolutely cross contaminated . If asked The manager is required to say the FF are gluten free and they take great care in cleanliness, but cannot guarantee with 100% certainty the CC will not occur.

I have heard Red Robin is very clean, considerate and have a designated gluten-free cooking area. We stick with Ore-Ida to be safe. But we indulge in the Outback for meals (never ever had a problem there).

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:47 PM

... but cannot guarantee with 100% certainty the CC will not occur.

Nobody can honestly guarantee that, and anyone who claims to is at best mistaken and at worst lying.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:47 PM

LOVE me some Chik-fil-A fries!! There are none where we live, so when I see one in our travels... I always have to stop!!

I don't eat them anywhere else tho. I've heard that McD's are gluten-free and have enjoyed them twice w/o problems in the past, but I don't trust 'em at all!
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#7 Mizzo

Mizzo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:06 AM

Nobody can honestly guarantee that, and anyone who claims to is at best mistaken and at worst lying.

I believe YOU misread the statement .

#8 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:05 AM

My point is that, no matter how hard an establishment tries, they can never guarantee 100% against cross-contamination. Nobody can, because there are too many possible sources. Anyone who makes such a claim is either misinformed or lying outright.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 buffettbride

buffettbride

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:39 AM

We'll do ChicFilet fries from time to time and In N Out when we travel to states w/ an In N Out. We avoid BK, Wendy's, and McD's fries. Even with dedicated fryers, I've seen chicken nuggets and onion rings sneak into the friers an I don't trust McD's as far as I can throw them.

For sit down meals, we go to Red Robin for fries (ask for no seasoning).

#10 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:00 PM

I've just about given up on fast food fries being safe. I've gotten sick from Chick-fil-a and McDonalds. The best I have found is Cheeseburger in Paradise, but I got sick once out of the two times I ate there. No way to tell if it was the fries or not. SO it's a 50-50 gamble to me. I like to make oven fries at home. It's really simple to do, just time consuming.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#11 ryebaby0

ryebaby0

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:20 AM

The McD's controversy is pretty well documented. My son eats them regularly with no problem (and his tTg is tested once a year). Red Robin's are independantly owned so you'd need to ask. (We were once asked to leave a Red Robin in Harrisburg PA; the manager didn't want us to "risk illness" by even being inside). BK is notorious for their poorly run deep fryers (how many people get a "free" onion ring or chicken nugget in their fries?) Some Wendy's are dedicated fryers, but most are not. Outback fries are not gluten-free, neither are Ruby Tuesday's or EatNPark.

No restaurant will guarantee food is free of CC. They are opening themselves to a lawsuit if they do --- you just have to ask, and fries are high on the list of hard-to-find
Mom/wife to celiacs dx 12/03 and 12/04

Success is never final and failure never fatal. It's courage that counts -George Tilton

#12 scarlett77

scarlett77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:17 AM

My son can't eat McD's fries. We only eat In& Out fries. Otherwise we make them at home. Like someone else said...fries are difficult to find without CC issues. I can say that we recently went to Disneyland and there are quite a few of the places in the park that have a specially dedicated fries fryer specifically for gluten-free guests.
Mommy to James, who is Celiac diagnosis by blood test and confirmed by endoscopy on 9/29/2009. Our household has been gluten free since.

#13 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:25 AM

Just check the McD's website if you really want to know the officially published ingredients.

French Fry ingredients currently listed on the McDonald's website:

Ingredients (Allergen statement in ALL CAPS.)
Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*, citric acid [preservative]), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.

CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK *(Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients).

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#14 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:25 AM

I must be lucky. Fries at the BK near work have not made me sick. It's actually one of the "safer" foods when I don't bring lunch.

#15 NE Mom

NE Mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:47 AM

BK fries make me sick within hours of eating them every time. However, I seem to do just fine with the McD's fries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: