104 replies to this topic

#16 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:09 AM

Well I really hate to rain on everyone's whine parade but I just don't miss all the crappy, toxic food they serve at fairs and other events.

It's fine...that's the best situation--where you truly don't miss the gluten food and wouldn't want it, anyway.

For me... I would never again eat gluten and for the most part, I don't miss gluten foods. The main things that bother me about this, though, is that all spontaneity goes out the window. You always need to remember to bring your own food and that can also make you feel alienated. Finally, $$$. Other than that, I don't really have a problem with this diet; I would never go off of it despite these gripes, but those are just a few of the main problems. Otherwise it would be fine...there are some great replacements and some replacements are better than the original (such as Tinkyada pasta).

-C

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 05:18 AM

I see where you are coming from and understand but if you think about it do we really have it that bad?

A woman we know (42) was a cancer survivor now they found out she has cancer in her liver,lungs, and breasts. She has 3 kids under the age of 6

A girl(15) we know is in the hospital with cancer right now.

Some people have absolutely no place to sleep , and don't know when their next meal will be because they have no $ or food.

There are so many examples...when I get in those moods of feeling sorry for myself I am constantly reminded of how good I have it.

Can it get annoying if people are rude and inconsiderate about it..yes
Can it feel like nobody knows what you are going through...yes
Can it be a pain to lose spontaneousness because we have to plan what we can eat and where....yes
BUT...
Do I miss gluten containing foods...no
Do we have it bad...no

We can control this disease very easily which in alot of diseases you can't say that about.
We can eat alot of good foods and alot of them are comparable to the gluten containing kinds.

I feel that I am extremely blessed...even though I have this disease I can use this to help other people that may be new to the disease and don't know what to do...if I didn't have this disease I wouldn't have found so many awesome friends on here, or help people like I do now.

My mom always tells me "Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#18 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 06:00 AM

I get what everyone is saying. I think it is good to acknowledge that yes, this lifestyle can be overwhelming at moments, and it can be complex, and that for many of us, our friends have a much easier time eating and being flexible. I think that for some of us to not acknowledge when it gets hard, might cause other problems. But as Kaiti said, I think it is a good to keep a constant remembrance in the back of our heads of those who struggling in even harder ways.

Suffering can be relative, so just because someone is struggling harder or longer than us doesn't negate our own suffering. However, it does give us the ability to be grateful for what we do have...

:)
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#19 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 06:49 AM

"All the chain restaurants have gluten-free and "allergy" menus on their websites. I can eat at Burger King, Wendy's or McDonalds knowing the food I choose is 100% safe."

I also hate to rain on any parades, but fast-food restaurants are FAR from 100 percent safe. I know a woman with celiac disease who used to own six of them and she wouldn't eat at any even though she was the owner because of cross contamination. I do eat at them occasionally but I try to keep it to a very minimum.

I assume that people who eat at Mexican restaurants (I do) remember to check those chips. Frequently they are thrown in contaminated oil.

Cross contamination is a big factor at any place. Celiac experts will tell you that eating out five times a week is a VERY, VERY bad idea because you are almost certainly getting traces of gluten a high percentage of the time. I think the general recommendation is to eat out no more than a couple of times a month.

richard

#20 hsd1203

hsd1203

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 07:02 AM

not to say that I don't have my pity me days, but this thread made me think of some things I thought I might share...

kimberly, get yourself a bette hagman comfort foods cookbook and try the vinegar pastry crust... I tried it right after I went gluten-free and it really tastes like real pie crust... I even made cherry pie with it last weekend for some unsuspecting dinner guests and everyone raved and some people even went back for seconds. and you can easily thicken the filling with cornstarch.

all in all, if I'm being really good and not risking cross contamination anywhere, I really don't crave any gluteny food... usually if I find myself salivating over dh's pizza, its a wake up call for me that I need to reexamine my diet and see what I might be eating that I shouldn't be.

hang in there, it gets easier, and really just feeling so much better is worth the "sacrifice" of not eating gluten.

h

#21 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2005 - 07:19 AM

I miss the freedom of being able to go anywhere and not worry about FOOD!
I think how this thread started was someone trying to defeat a bout of depression, which does crop up now and then.
YES, there are tons of things much worse than Celiac disease, I'm sure we all realize this, however, if someone is trying to get out of a round of depression by venting their feelings, I don't think we should make them feel guilty by pointing out the person down the road with cancer.
When I am having an argument with my family about whether or not I can eat this, or go there, I'm not going to think of the other people in worse shape. I'm going to be feeling frustrated and need someone to understand ... which is what we look for in this forum. Understanding.
:unsure:

#22 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 07:29 AM

COMPLAIN? I can not express how happy I was when I found out my toddler had celiac disease! celiac disease is a known thing, with lists of do/donts that I can work with. Sure as heck beats the heck out of all the random guessing and problems and sickness he had up till now. Since finding out he has celiac disease he has been taken off of ALL medications. Maybe in a few years I wll learn to hate the restrictions of celiac disease, but for now I love being able in most cases say "Yes he can eat that" or "No skip that". And for the mistakes, at least we know what is happening now and that helps blunt the blow a bit.

I guess Im just odd. :mellow:

- Vincent -

#23 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 07:41 AM

I think how this thread started was someone trying to defeat a bout of depression, which does crop up now and then.
YES, there are tons of things much worse than Celiac disease, I'm sure we all realize this, however, if someone is trying to get out of a round of depression by venting their feelings, I don't think we should make them feel guilty by pointing out the person down the road with cancer.
When I am having an argument with my family about whether or not I can eat this, or go there, I'm not going to think of the other people in worse shape. I'm going to be feeling frustrated and need someone to understand ... which is what we look for in this forum. Understanding.

Yes, we all have those days when we need people to talk to .
The objective of what I said was not to make the person feel guilty by pointing with cancer. The objective was to show we have it alot better and to look at the good things rather then the bad. If you read my whole post I said I see where you are coming from and I understand...hey I have been there so I know exactly how she feels. I still have those days but also when I am feeling down..my parents constantly remind me of those things I mentioned..they always say "it could be worse" and that has really helped me. I'm sorry if anyone took what I said the wrong way..it was not meant for you to feel guilty...it was trying to help and put things in perspective.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#24 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 07:48 AM

Meh... I was dealing with hypoglycemic issues before the gluten-free diet, so the concept of making sure to bring food with me was already there, this just changed what food I made sure to bring with me (and not by a lot...). I guess I just don't find that it sucks all that much - but a lot of that is deliberately minimizing the focus on food and maximizing the focus on people internally - regardless of what other people focus on. It'll be different for all of us, and we all have to find our own best coping mechanism.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#25 rlmom

rlmom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 07:57 AM

I know this is not fun at all. I was diagnosed 2 years ago. It all started after my divorce!
Anyway, I'm not hear really to complain but to tell you about a recent positive experience. I went to DisneyWorld, Orlando with my sisters. At each restaurant that we went to when I asked questions, the chef came out to talk with me. At the RainForest Cafe the chef had gluten free bread for a cheesburger! At a buffet in MGM the chef walked me through the line and pointed out all the food I could have, and it was plenty. I've also heard now that several chain restaurants have gluten free menus if you ask. When I get the restaurant names, I'll post again.
So while it would be better not to have this disease and I'd really like to have pizza, public awareness is getting better. My daughter was tested last week and I'm praying it comes back negative.
To those of you who found bread that actually makes a decent PG&J could you post the brand, because I haven't found one yet!

Robin

#26 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 08:08 AM

Thanks for getting it, Shirley. :)

This is the first time I've thought about quitting this board because I thought I could come in here and post my silly complaints. At first everybody was being nice about it, but then you all made me feel crappier. <_<

#27 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 08:32 AM

I'm sorry that you felt crappier after posting. I think, at least in my case, as much as we can accept that it really bothers you, some of us may not be able to understand the extent to which it does. (And you could argue we don't want to feel crappy for being judged "not sympathetic enough", but I'm not saying YOU did that, I'm talking theoretically - 'cause I do that, talk about things theoretically. If I thought you did that, I'd just say it, but I don't think you did.)

Some of us are more action oriented, so there's a window for complaining, then you go on and make the changes that need to be made. Some of us are more thought oriented, so there's always room for an open discussion on the topic no matter what. (And some of us are confused wafflers who shift between the two annoying our action-oriented spouses when we're feeling "chatty" about things... ;-) :-D Anyone with me on this one?)

I hope you can find a way to make the diet less sucky, even if it always will be a major annoyance in your life, hopefully something can make it just that much easier. And please don't leave - we can use everyone's input, including reminding us how we all deal with things differently. (And sometimes one person deals with things differently on different days - I know I do.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#28 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:25 AM

I too feel your pain. I miss bread... homemade bread, made from flour, water, yeast, and salt... not 50 obscure ingredients that end up with each slice weighing a ton and so crumbly that it can't hold a sandwich!

I miss cracking open an ice cold beer.

Like my friend says... just cause the neighbor has cancer doesn't make your toothache hurt any LESS.

In the scheme of things... celiac disease is nothing... but I still miss bread and beer!!
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#29 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:29 AM

I just wanted to come in here yesterday and post my complaint because I feel like here is the only place where people will get it. I wasn't saying my disease is the worst in the world. I understand that some people have it worse off. But when somebody has a family member die do you say "well, it could have been worse, your whole family could have died." Or, when my mom got diagnosed with breast cancer I didn't say "Mom, it could have been worse, you could have gotten cancer in both breasts." It just doesn't help somebody feel better to say that.

You have to remember that some people find this harder than others. On a different post somebody said they were tired of people complaining that this diet is hard. Well, it is really hard for some people. Why shouldn't we be able to complain? That's one reason some of us come here. So we can complain to people who understand.

This life change has been really hard for me. I basically couldn't eat 95% of what I ate before. And yes, it has forced me to eat healthier, but that doesn't make me feel better that my life is going to be disrupted by this forever. I also never cooked before and I'm having a hard time knowing what to cook and where to start. Nobody ever showed me how to cook anything, so I'm basically having to start from the beginning. I've been living off almost the same five foods since this started. So this is hard for some of us. I come here partly so I can feel some sympathy. I know no one else that has this. No family members have been diagnosed and I don't belong to a support group. So I'm all by myself except you guys and it hurts me when you basically say "stop your whining!" Sometimes I want to whine!

#30 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:39 AM

As someone who has been having to carefully order at restaurants for 6 years now due to various and *increasing* food limitations, I am used to it but tired of it, as well. That and my friends who will say, upon entering a place like the fair, "Oh wow, you can't eat anything here, can you?" I maintain a positive attitude about it all 90% of the time because it *is* great that diet can maintain something like this. But that doesn't mean I don't feel annoyed by it, either.

Sometimes I think, gee, so what will I have to cut out next? The list is already ridiculous. I love the great stuff I can eat and love to cook as well. But my life has been getting fuller and fuller lately and I am finding less time to prepare stuff. Plus, my hypoglycemia symptoms seem to be coming back lately and messing with my schedule, meaning that while I had figured out when and what I needed to eat for a while there, now it's not enough nor is it the right thing. Frustrating.

I can understand the need to rant and I'm really glad I can come on this board and do just that. Just because I need to rant doesn't mean I am not glad to be able to follow a diet to feel better, but it does mean that I need to express myself before moving on.

It's like saying someone who can walk shouldn't complain about their foot hurting because there are people who can't walk at all... do you get what I'm saying?

Anyway, I think it's healthy to voice frustration. I don't miss the person I was before, but I sure do miss Mexican food, especially chili rellenos, like you wouldn't believe! ;)

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: