#91 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:18 PM

"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger..."

Welcome and that quote sounds familiar. :)
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#92 scotia

scotia

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:47 PM

Thanks Ian, I used to post on the site, but it's been years since I have visited.
I'll check in from time to time, to try and help people in their 'struggle' with celiac disease.
Have a good one.

Scotia.

#93 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

Bloom where you are planted.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:19 PM

The "fairy dust" comment had me rolling. :lol:
I believe in God.

#94 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:23 PM

Scotia, thanks for the laugh :lol:

Years ago when I was first diagnosed, there was only one rice bread that we could find. Well I thought that would be okay and bought a few loaves, (we live out in the country and don't go to town much). Anyway .. that bread was soooo bad that I couldn't eat it, so I broke it up in the dogs dish and the poor fellow just gave it one sniff and looked at us as if to say .."How come your using my dish for garbage?" So we relented and put the bread out for the crows and Ravens. One lovely big Raven swooped down and grabbed a piece and went over to the fence post to eat it. Well, I must say that is the one and only time I've ever seen a Raven spit anything out. :lol: The bread, needless to say, ended up in the compost. At least the plants didn't complain.

But the scary part of that bread story is, One of the loaves got forgotten in the cold room (canning room and place to put veggies for storage over winter) Over a year and a half later my husband found the loaf behind some canning jars. Would you believe there wasn't one speck of mould on that bread! :o I told my hubby that we should be eating it, we might live forever. It must have had some good preservatives in it :rolleyes:

#95 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 11:48 AM

I loved that story about the cats, Scotia! I can just see it happening. I love your story too, Shirley. I can totally picture the look on your dog's face! :lol: I love animals, they bring so much joy to our lives!

It's possible that I may have lupus and I'm having a flare up right now. My joints are on fire and I'm starting to swell! :unsure: Last night, my husband said "maybe your problem is lupus and you don't really have celiac disease, wouldn't that be good?" And I yelled out NO! Celiac disease can be treated just by not eating certain things. Lupus is not that easily treatable and sometimes dangerous drugs are involved, no thanks. Besides the fact that the symptoms are totally different, so I don't think lupus would be misdiagnosed as celiac. So, I'm realizing more and more that celiac isn't that bad as far as bad things go. I still don't like having it though! :lol:

#96 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:40 PM

Dang girl :( Could it be a flare-up b/c of being glutened last night?? Are you going to get tested for lupus?
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#97 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:43 PM

Shirley--
Great story too. It reminds me of the movie "Super-size Me"...about McDonald's. One part of the DVD shows how McDonald's fries set out for months and never grew any mold, not even a spec ! But all the hamburgers did. I heard an interview with the guy who made the video, Morgan Spurlock, and he said they sat out even longer than the video showed and that they finally decided to throw them away simply because they got tired of looking at them ! :o
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

#98 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:03 PM

Does that mean if we eat the fries everyday we'll never get old, and live forever? :o :lol:

#99 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 05:02 AM

ha ha....could be. maybe it would end up that we turn it living zombies or something... :D
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

#100 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:12 AM

Dang girl :(  Could it be a flare-up b/c of being glutened last night??  Are you going to get tested for lupus?

No, it started before I was glutened. I think that stress may sometimes bring it on and I experienced a lot of stress last weekend. I have already had blood tests done and my antibodies were high. But they can't say for sure that it is lupus because there's not a specific test that says yes you have it or no you don't. So my rheumatologist just said that we would keep an eye on it and see if it was a one time occurence or not. Well, now it's obviously not a one time occurence. :(

#101 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:20 AM

boy, it is kind-of complex... hmmm. sorry girl. ! you going to go back to the dr? feel better today?

i did know one girl, through a friend, who had lupus. stress and lack of rest were huge factors for her, that much i know...
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

#102 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:40 AM

I have an unrelated doctor appointment tomorrow. It's just with my family doctor and I already had a few things I wanted to talk about, then this happened and I guess I'll talk about this too. I don't know what they'll do though. If I call my rheumatologist and try to make an appointment they won't be able to get me probably til August and my symptoms will be gone. That's what happen last time. I called in December and said my ankles are swollen and purple and so are my hands and I'm having trouble breathing and I can hardly stand up for more than a few seconds. And they said "We have a opening in February." By then my symptoms were gone so we just talked about my symptoms. They really should leave a couple appointments open a week for stuff like that. <_< It would be better if she could actually see what's happening.

#103 Jan

Jan

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 12:09 AM

I want to complain to people who understand about how much this disease sucks. Just when I think I'm getting used to all the ways my life is going to change I find out something else that I'm no longer going to be able to enjoy. We went to a music festival this weekend where they have a bunch of food booths and I had to pack a lame pb&j sandwich while my husband sat there and enjoyed all his yummy food. There's no way I could have found anything gluten-free because every place was so busy it would have been extremely difficult to ask any questions. I'm just depressed because now I'm thinking about all the fun places we used to go and just eat anything and now I won't be able to do that. For example, we have a large fair in my town every year and now that will be a pain. And depressing. It's hard to think that you are going to have to be this way for the rest of your life. And it's not like a diet that you can cheat on when you have a special occasion. I know this is kind of stupid to complain about when so many other illnesses you can't solve just by avoiding certain foods. But I'm depressed about these things.  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#104 skoki_mom

skoki_mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 03:20 PM

I just thank God I am not allergic to chocolate. Now that would REALLY suck :rolleyes:

Wow, do I hear you on this one!!! As I said to my friends, I can still have chocolate and wine, life is still good!

I'm pretty new at this, but I know what you mean already. Local amusement park today, left home in a rush, no time to pack a salad. Ended up eating popcorn for lunch, (hope that was ok), because there just were not a lot of options for me! My kids wanted Those Little Donuts, I swear I must have been salivating like Pavlov's dog! I am *not* looking forward to the Stampede next summer!
LORI

Dx celiac disease Aug 25/05, ate KFC that night and gluten-free ever since

#105 Nevadan

Nevadan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:47 PM

Another interesting thread - even if a bit off topic, including this post.

Looks like we guys are in the minority here, but I thought it might be worth sharing some experience on getting spouses to help with the cooking - what the hexx, when you're my age...

When my wife and I got married after college 37+ yrs ago, I was the one with some cooking experience and ended up teaching her the basics. Needless to say she has far exceeded my rudimentary capabilities since, but I can still do ok. From our earliest days when we both worked long hours, we had a rule: whoever cooks doesn't clean - that can be very motivating. Over the years more and more of our cooking has been done outside on the grill - prep often by her, grilling by your truly. One reason: I worked in a very complex technical field where projects usually took at least a couple of yrs and by the end no one could remember who contributed what, much less get a lot of satisfaction from personal accomplishment - cooking/grilling was a great theruputic(sp) endeavor for me with lots of relative instant gratification. Some of the other attractions for me, the guy, was that grilling didn't heat up the kitchen and run up the AC bill in summer, and it didn't coat the windows with an oily film that required washing windows (I still don't like to do windows). Maybe some of you can exploit some of this to get some help.

P.S. We have lived in the Sierra's for many yrs and think nothing of grilling year around - I do hate to shovel the snow off the deck to get to the grill, but that comes with territory.

P.S.S. We typically grill 4-5 nights a week, year around - lots of fish, shellfish, pork chops, vegetables, and the occasional beef. When we decide on a really gourmet meal, my wife does a great job inside - and I have to clean. :-)

George

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: