This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Digestive Enzymes

willabec

willabec Contributor

Ok....i just want to know if anyone out there is on digestive/pancreatic enzymes and if so, which brand and how many do you take at each meal?? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I took them short term after a bout with panceratitis. I took them for about a month. Once my stool stopped having undigested food in it I stopped them. I think the brand was Country Life but I could be wrong.

As far as how much to take, read the bottle and follow the directions on it.

If you like pineapple you could try adding that to your diet as the papain in pineapple works as a digestive enzyme.

Looking for answers Contributor

The most comprehensive and best digestive enzymes are the ones available on mercola.com. My holistic doctor (Glen Depke) actually formulated them (he sells them on his site as well). They are more on the expensive side, but are very effective. I used them for a long time. I've also found Jarrow's brand very good, but not as good as the other. The Ox Bile is what sets them apart...very helpful with digestive and rarely found in other brands.

willabec Contributor

The most comprehensive and best digestive enzymes are the ones available on mercola.com. My holistic doctor (Glen Depke) actually formulated them (he sells them on his site as well). They are more on the expensive side, but are very effective. I used them for a long time. I've also found Jarrow's brand very good, but not as good as the other. The Ox Bile is what sets them apart...very helpful with digestive and rarely found in other brands.

have you ever taken a prescription brand? right now i am on creon and it is very expensive. how much is the ones you are mentioning? how many do you personally take per meal? i have read that you can adjust the dosage based on your own needs....

sb2178 Enthusiast

I took both the whole foods brand (had to take multiple pills/meal) and enzymatic's Digest Gold. The Digest Gold was pricey but really effective. The whole foods... welllll... more or less worked but far cheaper.

RiceGuy Collaborator

I've found that even some enzyme formulas which are claimed to be gluten-free actually are not, so choose carefully. Apparently, some of the enzymes are derived from barley, and this is the case even with some products made specifically for individuals with gluten intolerance!

So far, I've yet to find an enzyme product I could take without getting sick from it.

brandynickle Newbie

Ok....i just want to know if anyone out there is on digestive/pancreatic enzymes and if so, which brand and how many do you take at each meal?? Thanks!

Hi, my 3 year old is autistic and has leaky gut and a syndrome very much like celiac. We use Houston Enzymes. One product called No-Fenol works wonders for all the phenolic foods, but we are excited to try another enzyme called AFP peptidase(I think). We just ordered it today. It is supposed to help when he accidentally gets something with gluten in it. Some have even reported being able to challenge some gluten food. We are excited because he is very gluten intolerant and is miserable when he gets it. I recommend checking their products out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 10 months later...
deezer Apprentice

I've found that even some enzyme formulas which are claimed to be gluten-free actually are not, so choose carefully. Apparently, some of the enzymes are derived from barley, and this is the case even with some products made specifically for individuals with gluten intolerance!

So far, I've yet to find an enzyme product I could take without getting sick from it.

Have you found any safe, gluten free enzymes?

Archived