127 replies to this topic

#16 GFManiac

GFManiac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 05:46 PM

I always tell people it is amazing what you can live without. Once you break that addiction, you just don't crave it anymore. HINT-HINT to the donut-eaters, you think you might be addicted?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:22 PM

I use to have a co-worker (very difficult person), who would always buy doughnuts and other sweets and literally moan over how good they were. She would give me the "oh, sorry, I know you can't eat this..." kind of line. As someone mentioned before, at least I will always have the better figure than her.

I had something similar, but not quite so blatant occur, and I just naturally replied with "I don't care, whatever" with a look that was clearly "who cares?!" about the whole thing. It rather confused the person. ;-) haha!
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#18 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:29 PM

Most of the time it's people apologizing for offering me gluten food after I've told them before that I can't eat gluten.

It's actually nice, when people apologize after they realize what they have done. Yesterday I helped out at the Year End Show in the YMCA and after that all the helpers got free pizza. I went into the staffs/trainers office to ask my gymnastics teacher, if she still needs me for cleaning up, before I go home. And she asked me, if I wanted some pizza, too. I told her, if she already forgot, that I told her, that I can't have that. She looked at me with that uninterested look in her eyes. She probably thought wheat is only in bread. How stupid some people are, really...
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#19 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:30 PM

Sorry, I forgot what my point was. Well, she didn't even apologize and just kept on munching.
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#20 2old4

2old4

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 03:56 PM

Or how about the reply, "It can't have that much in it? Does it?" Like it's a diet that's okay to break whenever you want a treat. I feel like saying, "Sure buddy, are you going to cover my shift when I can't make it to work tommorrow?" Ha, Ha, I bet not...especially since I'm his boss...
2old4- Patty :P
gluten-free since 05/19/05
Positive Bloodwork
Patty from Maine

#21 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 05:06 PM

Yea, I had that conversation with my friend who has diabetes and just shoots some more insulin when she eats stuff she's not supposed to. I told her that there is no "shooting" for me. A little cheat results in MOLTEN ACID comin' out my butt... it's not worth whatever's being served!!
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#22 sweeet_pea

sweeet_pea

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 06:44 AM

I have only been gluten-free for 2 weeks now. I am very strick - absolutly no cheating!! I am already sick of people saying so can you eat this, can you eat that, well it doesnt have THAT much wheat in it, dont worry, so like forever? And the worst comment I get over and over again is well, that "diet" you are on sounds healthy! You wont ever have a weight problem!! I should really try that. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I'm still in the I feel lost, I feel like a part of my life has died stage and I get those comments? No I cant eat it, no I cant cheat, no its not temporary......Take your bakers dozen doughnuts and LEAVE ME ALONE!! :D
Really I am not bitter at all I promise. I just laugh!
Oh annnnnd does anyone know where I can find wheat free licorish?
Britt
SLC / Utah

Gluten free since May 23rd, 2005
Positive Bloodwork Positive Biopsy

For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. They are plans of good and not of evil to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11</span>

#23 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2005 - 07:35 AM

We have gluten free Licorice here in BC. It's made with brown rice flour, so although the flavour is excellent, the texture is a bit gritty and spoils the enjoyment of it. At least for me, textures is everything. :unsure:
I'm going into town on Friday, so could get you the name of the company, perhaps they have a website.

#24 Noneformethanks

Noneformethanks

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 07:48 AM

I have people offer me forbidden foods often, people who have been told before. But, it really doesn't bother me, as I can't expect others to remember my life's details; they have their own lives to contend with. Usually, people apologise profusely when I remind them, as they just did forget. Heaven knows that I forget things folks have told me all the time.
And, my life's quility has so drastically improved that I really don't see those donuts, cookies, cake, etc, as anything but poison. You might as well offer me a plate of sewer sludge. I feel like one of Pavlov's dogs; negative conditioning.
And, there are enough poeple who do love me to make up for the forgetful ones. For example, my whole church now has rice crackers for communion, just so we all can "eat of one loaf."
It's not always easy, but I am trying to dwell on the good and not get down by the rest,
Barbara

#25 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 08:16 AM

I have enjoyed reading this! I feel so "unalone"! :D
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#26 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 09:07 AM

I have enjoyed reading this! I feel so "unalone"! :D

I know, me too :D

#27 uclangel422

uclangel422

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 09:45 AM

And the worst comment I get over and over again is well, that "diet" you are on sounds healthy! You wont ever have a weight problem!! I should really try that

Thats the one that i get most often and it is so annoying, mostly because i havent lost weight since being gluten-free, except for the post-bloat water weight.

Also people keep telling me that if i eat a little gluten, then my body may get used to it. Oh yeah, like 24 years of eating it helped up to this point.

And then there is the ever popular, maybe you will just grow out of it. I am 24, how much more growing out of things am i going to do.

#28 sweeet_pea

sweeet_pea

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 10:49 AM

I'm going into town on Friday, so I coulld get you the name of the company, perhaps they have a website.

THANK YOU SHIRLEY!! I WILL CROSS MY FINGERS!! YIPPEE!!
Britt
SLC / Utah

For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. They are plans of good and not of evil to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11</span>

#29 sweeet_pea

sweeet_pea

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 10:55 AM

And then there is the ever popular, maybe you will just grow out of it. I am 24, how much more growing out of things am i going to do.

UGH!! :angry: I have gotten that one too! I wish there was a way to educate the public a little bit more. I am thinking about renting a billboard for a couple of months. Maybe my picture and a saying something along the lines of I'm Gluten Free - Don't offer me food, just your ear so I can tell you about Celiac Disease. :lol: What do ya think? :lol: :lol:
Britt
SLC / Utah

#30 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:39 AM

:lol: I love the Billboard idea Britt!
I've put gluten free licorice on my grocery list so I don't forget. Will post again Friday evening ... West coast time :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: