127 replies to this topic

#121 elonwy

elonwy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 10:11 PM

I had my first really horrid reaction ( besides the bakery episode with bf's mom's bf) this last weekend. I was at a bbq my boss does every year, that itself was cool, the cook she hired was actually gluten-free and made me little seperate food in tin foil on the grill that kicked butt, and my boss actually called me that morning to read me the ingredients to the salsa she bought to make sure it was ok.
But anyway. I'm in the pool and a co-worker is sitting on the edge with his wife, and we're talking and he says something to me about gluten and she asks what are we talking about.
I explain Celiac disease very briefly, and she starts to say, REALLY loudly " Oh MY GOD, You mean you can't eat cookies, or cake, or bread or pasta? That's just terrible, I could never do that. And cereal, and pie.." and procedes to list more food, on and on.
That's the first time someone has completely crushed me in public because of this. The cool part is, everyone around her was absolutely appalled at her reaction, and I just shrugged and said, "it's really not that hard" and swam away, but I'm still mad at her. People can be so fing self-centered.
Not that I'm an angel but sheesh.
aaaahhh I feel better now.
Elonwy
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#122 bratcat

bratcat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 05:18 AM

My husband doesn't understand this whole celiac thing and often gets frustrated with me when I can't just eat a sandwich like everyone else.He doesn't like for me to keep saying "I can't eat that".He just can't see why the very thing that kept this country alive(wheat) can hurt you.He told me the doctors are full of "it",that everyone has eaten wheat since time began,so why is it so bad now.Good question.

#123 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:23 AM

We haven't been eating wheat since time began. Wheats been around for about 10,000 years, and has only been in western Europe for about 2,000 years. As far as evolution goes, thats not exactly a very long time.
http://www.cyberspac...heathistory.htm
It seems like a really long time but genes just don't change quickly.
Elonwy
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#124 skoki_mom

skoki_mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:53 AM

Well, I guess I am lucky in many ways because I am a nurse, so all of my colleagues have at least heard of Celiac Disease! Unfortunately, the staff room is always full of food because we always seem to be celebrating something around there, or else the parents of our patients send food in for us. As well, we have tea at 5am on night shift, which usually involves baked goods and has been my night-shift life life for the last 14 years, lol! Anyhow, most of them are pretty good, and the questions I get are typically intelligent and most of them genuinely want to know about the condition and what it involves. Even though I have spent a good deal of time feeling grief over the loss of a lot of my favourite foods, I am really aware of how lucky I am in many ways. I work with sick babies, and some of the stuff these kids and their families have to deal with would make your hair stand on end. I don't mean in any way to minimize anyone's suffering, but if I have to be saddled with a chronic illness, I'll take this one over many others I've seen!

((Hugs)) to all, sorry some people have to be so insensitive!
LORI

Dx celiac disease Aug 25/05, ate KFC that night and gluten-free ever since

#125 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:20 AM

My husband doesn't understand this whole celiac thing...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My ex-wife didn't get it either and that is why she is an ex. It just wasn't worth jeapordizing my health by keeping her around.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#126 bratcat

bratcat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:54 AM

elonwy,"since time began"is just an expression for" all our lives".Also for most people time began with the Bible.Wheat is mentioned in the Bible.Not getting smart alecky,just explaining myself.

#127 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:58 AM

elonwy,"since time began"is just an expression for" all our lives".Also for most people time began with the Bible.Wheat is mentioned in the Bible.Not getting smart alecky,just explaining myself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, your right it does mention wheat in the Bible. People will have different opinions according to what they believe though :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#128 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:11 AM

Yeah I'm not even gonna go there. People believe all different things, and I'm not one to say anything about who's right or wrong, or whatever.
I was just trying to provide ammo, its part of my explaination to people that say the same thing. I also compare it to diabeties, and other things of that nature, where people can't have "normal' things. There are people that can't have chocolate or nuts or fruit or coffee. Ours is just a little more intense, and a bit more difficult. It's not "bad", its bad for YOU. But anyway.
That's got to be really hard, if your husband isn't being supportive. I feel for you.
We are all God's children, and we are loved.
Elonwy
Never felt better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: