This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

"jules" Brand?

Kelly&Mom

Kelly&Mom Rookie

I get emails from a Celiac group in my area and this brand is advertised quite frequently for their flour mix, cookie baking mix, graham-type flour, etc. Has anyone tried it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

Haven't tried it, generally make my own gluten-free flour blend.

That company is in a bit of damage control mode right now after it was revealed that one of their suppliers, Nu World, was using a sub standard processing facility in the past for one of the gluten free ingredients in their list.

You can see some more information about this at these links

Open Original Shared Link

video of original news story about Nu World Amaranth

She's claiming that her amaranth wasn't ground in that building, but at the "new" processing facility, but who really knows. But the manufacturer sounds like a real piece of work, because she was operating this plant (that doubled as a garage and had no running water for the employee's restroom) without a license. The Iowa Dept of Inspections shut them down after the news station contacted them. The excuses this person came up with were ridiculous, they were "moving," it took longer than expected, they forgot the license expired, a pipe broke, they thought they'd be out of the building soon.

It is just completely unacceptable to be processing grain in a building that is doubling as a garage and has no bleeping running water for employees who need to wash their hands. I know this is the mid west, and they are cheap and think employees are not worth it, but the last time I checked the state of Iowa did have modern plumbing available and water treatment plants or sewers and septic tanks. And it's the law. If you are processing food, especially food for HUMANS, you are supposed to be doing it with washed hands.

"For us, gluten free is not a passing trend," Walters-Flood said. "Since 1983, we have delivered high quality food in full compliance with all standards for safe and quality foods."

:ph34r:

As a person who likes, uses, and consumes gluten free Amaranth, and who is hoping I didn't accidentally eat their "product," I am infuriated these slobs were charging so much for a gluten free product, and still didn't think it was necessary for them to provide basic hygiene for their employees.

They claim that the product made in the old building was not packaged there but sent to the new building for testing, packaging, and distribution. "No product was packaged or sold directly from the Earlville Plant." Well, that's lovely, so they were then mixing this stuff in with all their other stuff to cross contaminate it with who knows what and dilute it, or they were doing, exactly what with it ?

This is the sort of bad behavior that leads to huge problems, when one bad product gets into the food distribution chain, besides the potential of making many people sick, it can cause a lot of bad press reputation and financial fall out down the line.

haleym Contributor

Their graham cracker mix is really, really good.... prepare to eat the dough up before even baking it. I love it... just be careful re: cross contamination (see above posts!)

Archived