This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Problems With Fruit!

suebright

suebright Rookie

I've noticed that quite a lot of celiacs have reported problems with eating too much fruit. Is this related to Candida type symptoms? is it advisable to phase in the amount of fruit that one eats ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

i-geek Rookie

I think in some cases it could be fructose malabsorption. That can cause a lot of GI distress.

O.N. Rookie

I've noticed that quite a lot of celiacs have reported problems with eating too much fruit. Is this related to Candida type symptoms? is it advisable to phase in the amount of fruit that one eats ?

I found out that I have intolerance to some fruit such as oranges, strawberries, apples etc.

At the same time I eat without any problems melon, watermelon, bananas, mango, grapes. So I don

lucia Enthusiast

Some people report being "fructose intolerant". They discover this through an elimination diet.

Other people stop eating fruit, or limit it, because of concerns about candida. These people are usually working with a homeopathic doctor.

jerseyangel Proficient

Yes--different reasons for different people. Since going gluten-free, I can really only tolerate blueberries, bananas, and the occasional nectarine or apple.

I actually get reactions from citrus, strawberries, and melons.

vbecton Explorer

Here's something interesting about fruit from Dr. Stephen Mak. Not sure how this will effect those with fructose intolerance, but still very interesting:

"Eat your fruit on an empty stomach, or before your meal. You've heard people complain: Every time I eat watermelon I burp, when I eat durian my stomach bloats, when I eat a banana I feel like running to the toilet, etc. This will not happen if you eat the fruit on an empty stomach. Fruit mixes with the putrefying other food and produces gas. Hence, you bloat. Eating fruit plays a major role in detoxifying your system, supplying you with a great deal of energy for weight loss and other life activities. Let's say you eat two slices of bread, then a slice of fruit. The slice of fruit is ready to go straight through the stomach into the intestines, but it's prevented from doing so. In the meantime, the whole meal rots & ferments, & turns to acid. The minute the fruit comes into contact with the food in the stomach and digestive juices, the entire mass of food begins to spoil."

WheatChef Apprentice

Here's something interesting about fruit from Dr. Stephen Mak. Not sure how this will effect those with fructose intolerance, but still very interesting:

"Eat your fruit on an empty stomach, or before your meal. You've heard people complain: Every time I eat watermelon I burp, when I eat durian my stomach bloats, when I eat a banana I feel like running to the toilet, etc. This will not happen if you eat the fruit on an empty stomach. Fruit mixes with the putrefying other food and produces gas. Hence, you bloat. Eating fruit plays a major role in detoxifying your system, supplying you with a great deal of energy for weight loss and other life activities. Let's say you eat two slices of bread, then a slice of fruit. The slice of fruit is ready to go straight through the stomach into the intestines, but it's prevented from doing so. In the meantime, the whole meal rots & ferments, & turns to acid. The minute the fruit comes into contact with the food in the stomach and digestive juices, the entire mass of food begins to spoil."

This "Dr." stephen mak guy sounds like a complete quack, he doesn't understand the basics of what the stomach does.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

suebright Rookie

This "Dr." stephen mak guy sounds like a complete quack, he doesn't understand the basics of what the stomach does.

umm! that's made me think! could you explain a wee bit more, because what I first read "seemed" plausible. Thanks so much :-)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

If people believe that perhaps they will buy this also:

Open Original Shared Link

"Drinking Cold water after a meal = Cancer! Can u believe this?? For those who like to drink cold water, this article is applicable to you. It is nice to have a cup of cold drink after a meal. However, the cold water will solidify the oily stuff that you have just consumed. It will slow down the digestion. Once this 'sludge' reacts with the acid, it will break down and be absorbed by the intestine faster than the solid food. It will line the intestine. Very soon, this will turn into fats and lead to cancer. It is best to drink hot soup or warm water after a meal"

I thought this quite 'interesting' also

"Graying hair, balding , nervous outburst, and dark circles under the eyes all these will NOT happen if you take fruits on an empty stomach."

If reading a bit about this guy and his 80% cancer cure rate doesn't send folks into total quack alert nothing will. His 'research' is good for a laugh though. I just hope folks don't use his methods instead of getting their cancer actually treated.

vbecton Explorer

If you believe that perhaps you'll buy this also:

Didn't say I was a believer, just thought it was interesting. I eat fruit whenever and how often I want to, something I wasn't able to do 2 months ago. And, for as sensitive as some of our stomachs are, if it works, try it. If not, don't. Just another avenue to get some fruit down the hatch if your stomach can handle it better on empty. Most of us aren't defined by standard science protocols anyway...sometimes cooky things work for us :D

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Didn't say I was a believer, just thought it was interesting. I eat fruit whenever and how often I want to, something I wasn't able to do 2 months ago. And, for as sensitive as some of our stomachs are, if it works, try it. If not, don't. Just another avenue to get some fruit down the hatch if your stomach can handle it better on empty. Most of us aren't defined by standard science protocols anyway...sometimes cooky things work for us :D

The 'if you believe it' wasn't directed at you it was directed in folks in general.

Sorry if it seemed that way. I edited the post to read more as I meant it. :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

If it helps you to eat your fruit between meals then please do so. Fruit is an important part of our diets. If even then you are finding raw fruit or veggies hard to handle also try cooking them at first. You'll still get some benefit even if cooking does decrease the vitamin C levels a bit.

I personally think this guy is a kook but that doesn't mean that eating fruit on an empty stomach is bad.

WheatChef Apprentice

umm! that's made me think! could you explain a wee bit more, because what I first read "seemed" plausible. Thanks so much :-)

Food doesn't rot and ferment in the stomach, it gets broken down by enzymes, mechanical action and acid (although this acidification is rapidly changed once the food passes to the small intestine). This is part of the digestive process, your system needs to break down complex molecules so that it can better absorb the components. Furthermore, many different fruits contain extra enzymes that actually aid in the overall digestion of many different compounds. For this reason the combination of fruits and meat is very common in many different cultures, the fruits add extra enzymes that help DECREASE digestive problems.

I tried searching a bit to find this guys qualifications and was completely unable to, anyone know if this guy has any real training?

WheatChef Apprentice

Further proof of this guys absolute lack of grasp on nutrition:

"Don't eat cooked fruits because you don't get the nutrients at all. You only get to taste. Cooking destroys all the vitamins."

Cooking does not destroy vitamins, many vitamins are quite resilient to thermal treatments. Some in fact are actually altered by cooking to more bioavailable forms which are more readily absorbed and utilized by your body! Hell, additionally the cooking breaks down cell walls, increasing the accessibility of the contained antioxidants and vitamins for your system! If you're worried about fructose malabsorption issues, you NEED to cook your fruits!

Archived