This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Tall Are You?

GlutenFreeManna

Coinkey Apprentice

I'm 5'3" about an inch taller than my mom. My dad is 6'2" both my brothers the same as him and my sisters are 5'6".

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kim27 Contributor

As far as Celiac stunting your growth/height, I would imagine that all that would have to do with when your body actually started reacting to gluten and how long it took you to stop eating gluten/figure out the problem. If the problem didn't kick in until adulthood, then I would think those individuals' heights would not be affected like a child or infants would. I would think that most people whose height would be affected would be those who had problems from very early on and didn't know what the problem was, so the malabsorption problems affected their growth when they should've been growing the most.

taradorff Rookie

5'6 1/2".

I used to be at least an inch taller - I seemed to "shrink" about the time I had my first baby.

Growing up the doctors and many other people would say I was going to be 6' tall, but I didn't grow at all after I turned 12. (my dad is 6' 3" and my mom 5'1" :P )

im 5'1 ft haha not very tall at all :)

OptimisticMom42 Apprentice

As far as Celiac stunting your growth/height, I would imagine that all that would have to do with when your body actually started reacting to gluten and how long it took you to stop eating gluten/figure out the problem. If the problem didn't kick in until adulthood, then I would think those individuals' heights would not be affected like a child or infants would. I would think that most people whose height would be affected would be those who had problems from very early on and didn't know what the problem was, so the malabsorption problems affected their growth when they should've been growing the most.

I agree the age at the time of onset would affect height. I'm 5'6", the tallest woman in my family. Didn't get sick until over age 30. My kids had weird allergies and stuff from early on. The boys are just over 6' and the girls are still growing but much shorter than I am.

Julz33 Newbie

4'11" I always thought it was cuz as a kid I had bad eating habits (I am 4-5 inches shorter than most of my family members) and when I was 16 my dr tested my growth hormone and told me I had ran out at age 12! Now I know it was cuz of my bad eating habits.....just not in the way I thought! :P

boysmom Explorer

I'm 5'3 1/2" My mom is 5'5" and dad is 5'7" Interesting thread... One of my 3 sisters seems to have worse gluten sensitivity than I do (she has no insurance so didn't test for celiac, just tried the diet) and is a couple inches shorter than I am, but the younger two are both taller than we are and have few or none of the symptoms we have, so aren't motivated to even try a gluten-free diet. I can see patterns of symptoms back both of my parents' sides of the family that could be celiac signs, but since no one was tested until me I guess we'll never know for sure.

Tina B Apprentice

I wasn't sure where to post this, so MODS please move if it's in the wrong place. I'm just curious how tall gluten sensitive/celiac individuals are on average. I'm 5'2" and after reading about celiac disease possibly stunting growth I wondered if that might be why I'm short. Then again, the only other gluten-intolerant person I have met was very tall (probably about 6 ft.). This is my first attempt at a poll on this board so hopefully it will work.

5' 4" didn't have a chance for tallness. Everyone in my family is short :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tictax707 Apprentice

I am 5'4". My mom is 5'4" and my dad is 5'6". So maybe I am not stunted in growth, or I come from a long line of growth stunted people...

polarbearscooby Explorer

5 foot two and a half inches!

I'm actually really short for my family, my younger sister is 4 inches taller than me and has been taller than me since I was 10 and she was 9 :(

Archived