This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Fast Does Dh Show Up?

climbmtwhitney

climbmtwhitney Apprentice

Hello.

Wondering how fast it typically takes for DH to appear?

We gluten tested our 7 yr old today. :o He's been gluten free for almost 2 years after being diagnosed gluten intolerant.

However, now we think he actually has Celiac and is getting gluten rash when he's glutened by mistake. I have Celiac as well as one of my daughters.

Any insight would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Jillian

P.S. We also made sure he also ate some iodized salt.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RoseTapper Newbie

From my reading and personal experience, kids don't usually get DH until they're in their late teens. In our family, they tend to get DH at about age 2, but it goes away by age 3....and then it comes back at around 19. However, everyone is different. The same applies to how quickly DH can appear after a glutening. For me, it takes only about 15 minutes to as long as four hours, but I've read that it can be several days later for others. Is there a reason why you wish to have the celiac diagnosis confirmed? It's just my own personal belief, but I feel that the damage that can be potentially caused by a gluten challenge can outweigh the need to know, and a number of experts now support this viewpoint. Unless it's an insurance situation, since you know he has gluten sensitivity and celiac runs in the family, your physician should be willing to accept the possibility that he does, in fact, have celiac.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this. I had DH really bad as a child. It literelly covered my arms and legs and after a couple years my face. I had a teacher once send me home from school because she thought I had impetigo and Mom had to get a doctor's note before they would let me come back. Doctor told my Mom that I had poison ivy in my blood, yeah right. It got a bit better in my teens and would only show up in the creases of my extremities and on my face. Made my teen years lots of fun. In adulthood it calmed down a bit but never really went away then came back full force on my scalp, back and face before I got diagnosed.

As far as how long it takes to show up. When I first went gluten free it would be one of the first things to appear when I got glutened. Now that I have been gluten free for 8 years it comes back very mildly with just a blister or two about 3 to 4 days after I get glutened.

One last note, if your child has DH your child has celiac. Period. If he has lesions you can go to a knowledgable derm and have the skin next to the lesions biopsied to check for the antibodies. Make sure the derm is familiar with DH, mine just told me I had atopic dermatitis and another said it was 'pickers acne'. The last one I just looked at and asked 'then why does it itch?' He just shrugged his shoulders. I was having full blown classic celiac symptoms at the time also.

I consider gluten intolerance and celiac to be the same thing by the way.

climbmtwhitney Apprentice

Thanks for the help!

We glutened him on Sunday afternoon and so far so good. I'm guessing he's still in the range of possible though since he's been gluten-free for almost 2 years. He still has remnants from the last rash 5 weeks ago, but definitely nothing new. We did the full blown allergy prick testing and came up empty handed. So, either he's terribly allergic to something very rare or he's going to rash up soon. Fingers crossed it's something obscure.

Jillian

michelley65 Rookie

Im wondering the same thing.I went gluten free in March(well...not 100 percent because I was just learning about all the hidden glutens in things).Anyway,in April I broke out with this horrible red itchy rash all around my mouth and chin..it was soooooo itchy and ugly..had very tiny blisters that would secrete a yellow crust when it dried.I went to the doctors and he said it was a viral rash and gave me meds.About 5 days later it was way worse..went to the E.R. and they said Impetego..gave me more meds and ointment.10 days later,after going away in that time,it appeared again..back to the doctors..he said it was MRSA..gave me more meds and ointment..went away..a week later it appears again...back to the E.R...they do a culture..find no bacteria,so they say contact dermatitis...GGGGRRRR!Anyway,its been 2 and a half months..I woke up today and feel like its coming back..the burning and itchy feeling is there,as well as the reddness starting.The only thing that i did different is I ate some salsbury steaks with gravy,and it probably had gluten in it,so now Im wondering..being that I went gluten free in March,maybe I am seeing DH all this time when I accidently gluten myself????I have heard that your body reacts quicker to being glutened once you are off of it.Any comments would be appreciated.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Im wondering the same thing.I went gluten free in March(well...not 100 percent because I was just learning about all the hidden glutens in things).Anyway,in April I broke out with this horrible red itchy rash all around my mouth and chin..it was soooooo itchy and ugly..had very tiny blisters that would secrete a yellow crust when it dried.I went to the doctors and he said it was a viral rash and gave me meds.About 5 days later it was way worse..went to the E.R. and they said Impetego..gave me more meds and ointment.10 days later,after going away in that time,it appeared again..back to the doctors..he said it was MRSA..gave me more meds and ointment..went away..a week later it appears again...back to the E.R...they do a culture..find no bacteria,so they say contact dermatitis...GGGGRRRR!Anyway,its been 2 and a half months..I woke up today and feel like its coming back..the burning and itchy feeling is there,as well as the reddness starting.The only thing that i did different is I ate some salsbury steaks with gravy,and it probably had gluten in it,so now Im wondering..being that I went gluten free in March,maybe I am seeing DH all this time when I accidently gluten myself????I have heard that your body reacts quicker to being glutened once you are off of it.Any comments would be appreciated.

If there was gravy there likely was gluten. Usually gravy has wheat unless it is a gluten free gravy. Then the package will say so. If you suspect DH if you go to a derm and ask them to check for it they can biopsy the area next to the lesions to look for the antibodies. The biopsy has to be from clear skin not the lesions themselves.

michelley65 Rookie

If there was gravy there likely was gluten. Usually gravy has wheat unless it is a gluten free gravy. Then the package will say so. If you suspect DH if you go to a derm and ask them to check for it they can biopsy the area next to the lesions to look for the antibodies. The biopsy has to be from clear skin not the lesions themselves.

So...can I have the biopsy done even when I dont have the rash??That would be good being that it can take forever to get an appiontment with the dermatologist and by that time it may be gone.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

So...can I have the biopsy done even when I dont have the rash??That would be good being that it can take forever to get an appiontment with the dermatologist and by that time it may be gone.

No there needs to be active lesions. That said some derms will allow you to call them when the rash is active if they know from your first appointment that is what you are looking for. The DH rash also leaves distinctive purplish scars that take a long time to fade. Seeing those from past rashes will encourage them to allow you to call when the rash is active and get you in fast.

michelley65 Rookie

No there needs to be active lesions. That said some derms will allow you to call them when the rash is active if they know from your first appointment that is what you are looking for. The DH rash also leaves distinctive purplish scars that take a long time to fade. Seeing those from past rashes will encourage them to allow you to call when the rash is active and get you in fast.

Well,then the rash that I was referring to probably wasnt DH because it didnt leave purple scars,just very itchy..but I do get what looks like a pimple here and there(usually my face and neck area)but it stays there a long time and does leave a purple scar that takes forever to fade.I never concidered it a rash because it looks more like a single pimple..but it also is painful..not itchy though.DH is itchy,right??

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Well,then the rash that I was referring to probably wasnt DH because it didnt leave purple scars,just very itchy..but I do get what looks like a pimple here and there(usually my face and neck area)but it stays there a long time and does leave a purple scar that takes forever to fade.I never concidered it a rash because it looks more like a single pimple..but it also is painful..not itchy though.DH is itchy,right??

You may want to check out this thread. I have had definate DH but after looking at some of the pictures of HD I realized that may have been what I had on my back and the back of my neck. You can find images of it by doing a image search on the net. As with you my lesions were not itchy in those spots but were very painful and left the same purplish scars that my DH lesions did on my arms and legs. It has resolved for me on the diet.

michelley65 Rookie

You may want to check out this thread. I have had definate DH but after looking at some of the pictures of HD I realized that may have been what I had on my back and the back of my neck. You can find images of it by doing a image search on the net. As with you my lesions were not itchy in those spots but were very painful and left the same purplish scars that my DH lesions did on my arms and legs. It has resolved for me on the diet.

Thankyou...I will check it out!

Archived