arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Can We Talk About Body Temperature Regulation?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:25 PM

JUST PEEL THEM AND CUT INTO 1/8" SLICES LENGTHWISE IS ALL.....MAY NEED TO BAKE A TAD LONGER IF FORKED AND STILL FIRM.
BUT OH BABY! THIS IS FANTASTIC! AND I USED CLASSICO TRADITIONAL BASIL SAUCE WITH HAMBURGER AND MUSHROOMS.
SKIPPED THE COTTAGE OR RICOTTA AND MIXED A BIT OF CHEDDAR IN WITH THE MOZ.
COVERED WITH FOIL THE WHOLE DURATION.
GOT THE IDEA FROM THE SCD DIET SITE OF RECIPES - ONLY THEY USE TOMATO JUICE.....NOT ME - GOTTA HAVE A THICKER SAUCE!
GOOD LUCK!

Thank you!
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:14 PM

Thank You! It's good to know I'm not alone. Oh I get what I call the "gluten fever" too. When I've been glutened I get alternating fever and chills--this is regardless of the weather.

Me too! I break out in a cold sweat and drench the sheets. My husband likes to say "You got the FEVAH baby!" to make me smile when I feel terrible.
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

#18 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:33 PM

Me too! I break out in a cold sweat and drench the sheets. My husband likes to say "You got the FEVAH baby!" to make me smile when I feel terrible.

Oh, that's so sweet of your Hubby. Mine jokes that I'm his little space heater or electric blanket. :D
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#19 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:36 PM

If you either haven't gotten out into the heat this year, or it's the first heatwave for your area, your body may need time to adapt and acclimate to the different temperature, as well. It's kind of like easing your way into exercising - ease yourself into tolerating the heat. (One way to do this would be to start upping the indoor temperature (a bit) so that the AC is running, but not keeping it as cool. The sudden temperature shifts from a cool indoors to a hot outdoors can also be taxing on the body.)

Okay, what temperature do you keep the AC? We keep it between 76-77 right now and it's just barely tolerable to me heat-wise if I'm doing housework. Today it's set to 76, but not keeping up (which means they didn't really fix it yesterday :angry: ) so the actual temperature in here is 78. I don't think I could stand to go much warmer.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#20 Fey

Fey

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:55 PM

I find that when it's hot I have to make sure that I get some salt as well as water. Since going gluten-free, I went from low prepared food intake (already salted) to basically none (larabars & canned tuna). Otherwise I'm constantly lightheaded/dizzy. I've passed out doing low key gardening because I can't keep my BP up.

My mom had low BP issues, and ate olives in bulk. Easy and quick snack :D
Newbie - Trying out the gluten-free diet since 6/08/10.

#21 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:09 PM

I find that when it's hot I have to make sure that I get some salt as well as water. Since going gluten-free, I went from low prepared food intake (already salted) to basically none (larabars & canned tuna). Otherwise I'm constantly lightheaded/dizzy. I've passed out doing low key gardening because I can't keep my BP up.

Today, for example, it been low 90s and I've been fairly active (involuntary... would rather have been lying on a beach towel in the shade by some water) and felt much better after I had salted rice cakes with salted PB for lunch. I'm not talking large amounts. Just a little to replace what's dripped down my forehead and off the end of my nose... basically think gatorade.

I've never tolerated the heat well. But the regular dizziness etc is new this year. Does that line up with gluten issues...? Maybe.

Oooh, I think you may have hit on something here. I have always had very low BP. Sometimes it was too low to donate blood. One time the nurse told to go eat something salty and come back in 30 minutes. I don't get light-head though, just the pounding heart in my ears and difficulty breathing. I have been drinking tons of water to stay hydrated, but I will pick up some gatorade for next time the AC stops working or I need to be out in the heat. The rice cakes with peanut butter are a good idea. I also like to eat stove cooked popcorn as a snack so I guess I have a reason to eat it more often. :D

#22 conniebky

conniebky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:34 PM

I got "hot flashes" that last 2-3 hours when glutened. I sweat and my hair gets nasty and all that, and it lasts for a long time.

It's in the 90-100's here, too, and I'm way used to it, but when I ingest gluten, I sweat really bad.
Be kind to each person that you meet, for everyone is fighting a great battle

#23 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:25 AM

HAHA it looks like we are a community of space heaters.
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

#24 kayo

kayo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:31 AM

I've always had issues regulating my body temperature. I get hot really quickly and once I heat up it takes forever for me to cool back down again. That leads me to feeling anxious and claustrophobic. I sweat like crazy all year round. I'm often hot when everyone else around me says it's comfortable or even cool. I'm super sensitive to humidity. I take tepid showers because the hot water makes me feel faintish. Since going gluten-free it seems to be a bit better but not great. My husband calls me his little space heater. :P
40 year old former foodie on a quest to feel better!

-IgE to oats and rye
-Diagnosed with Colitis via endoscopy/colonoscopy Oct '10
-Following FODMAP diet since June '10, Positve SIBO test, July '10
-Diagnosed non-celiac gluten intolerant June '10 (celiac in March '10, endocsocopy in Oct '10 shows no signs of celiac)
-Osteopenia June '10
-Gluten free since July '09 & Soy free since December '09
-Dairy free since '06
-IBS & Sjogren's diagnosed '05
-RA diagnosed as a toddler

#25 tmbarke

tmbarke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:30 PM

Thank you!

Many of my coworkers look forward to my gluten free cooking because it tastes better than what they are used to! 'go figure'
One person told me......'I think you've missed your calling - because of your celiac....you could make many more people happy that truly need your cooking'....(bows with honor and a grin)
Anywho...........You are so welcome!
If you need the recipe....just hollah and I'll post.
I have so missed lasagna and this is far better than the real thing for me! imho
Take everything away from me - food, habits...take it all! But don't touch my bacon! You can NOT have my bacon!

#26 tmbarke

tmbarke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:42 PM

Space heaters? LOL I think you're right!
Glad to know we're not alone in this.
There is one problem tho......If I'm sleeping next to another space heater...........I'm screwed!
My BP used to be so low that a doctor had to go back and forth 5 times to find it....and then it was 80/66.
That's funny too - cuz I took a bronkodilater that morning! hmmmmm.......was I crashing 2 hrs later? lol
I read today that if your thyroid is affected.....your body insulin reacts and messes up.....and it's also caused by insulin levels too..........and as I read on - it sounded like a diabetic is a person with food allergies! hmph! ya think?!?
I'm still working on all this to edumacate myself to the fullest.....but in the meantime, I trust no one when it comes to food.....so I do all the cooking....and in the process, I eat healthy.
Can't say I'm losing my weight yet, but if I can overheat in the winter from CC like a menopausal woman........then Summer and another 'space heater' is my haites!
I'm finally figuring out tho - that if I have anything dairy......my heartbeat is felt everywhere and with increasing pounding.
Narrowing it all down..........just sucks that now I'm gluten-free - OTHER things are standing in line saying....'ME NEXT! me next!!!!"
I so need a pool.........but I'll settle for the sprinkler.
Take everything away from me - food, habits...take it all! But don't touch my bacon! You can NOT have my bacon!

#27 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:07 PM

OMG im gonna have to make that lasagna someday! YUM :P
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: