10 replies to this topic

#1 ejitt00

ejitt00

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

Hi everybody, has anybody had a reaction after eating Nathan's Hotdogs it says on the label that they are Gluten Free I hadn't had a hotdog for a few years maybe it was one of the ingredients that made me sick :angry: :(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:25 PM

Nathan's used to not be gluten-free but the now are. If your package said they were, I assume they are. But... Could it be they didn't clean the equipment well enough when they changed the formula?

How was the hotdog prepared? If you made it at home on safe equipment, then I don't know. But if at a BBQ at someone elses's house, it could have been cross contaminated.

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,769 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:56 AM

Check out this tread on the products page.

http://www.celiac.co...athans-hotdogs/
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 Wheatfreedude

Wheatfreedude

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:07 AM

Hi everybody, has anybody had a reaction after eating Nathan's Hotdogs it says on the label that they are Gluten Free I hadn't had a hotdog for a few years maybe it was one of the ingredients that made me sick :angry: :(

According to Hershey Park's website, here are their ingredients:

NATHAN'S FAMOUS

Nathans Famous Hot Dogs Beef, water, contains less than 2% of salt, sorbitol, sodium lactate, hydrolyzed soy, corn and wheat gluten protein, paprika, natural flavoring, sodium diacetate , sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite, packed in natural sheep casing to help seal in flavor.

-----------------
Now here is where I will "get on the soapbox". WE (on this board) do not have a choice, we have to eliminate any/all gluten from our diets to function like a regular human being.

You DO have a choice not to consumer preservatives and chemicals. Do you know why the add sodium lactate, hydrolyed soy, sodium diacetate, sodium erythobate, and sodium nitrate to the vat before they stir it up? If you don't know why, then why are you even eating it? Why don't you save the work "erythobate" for your next scrabble game.... you'd probably score 150 points by laying down that long word.

Hit SAM'S, Costco, Trader Joe's or Whole Foods and get 100% ALL NATURAL and PRESERVATIVE FREE franks/dogs/sausages. You'll get a boatload of lean protein and no chemicals.

Your body will thank you.

~Wheatfreedude~
Self taught body builder
Fitness fanatic
Avid Snowboarder and Surfer
Over 40 and single digit body fat
Getting stronger every week

#5 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:03 PM

No matter what Hershey's says, Nathan's no longer has wheat protein.

richard

#6 Wheatfreedude

Wheatfreedude

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:21 PM

No matter what Hershey's says, Nathan's no longer has wheat protein.

richard

Noted on your clarification. But, they still have all of those other additives.

Opt for ALL-Natural hot dogs and sausages folks! Your body will thank you.
Self taught body builder
Fitness fanatic

#7 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:16 PM

Noted on your clarification. But, they still have all of those other additives.

Opt for ALL-Natural hot dogs and sausages folks! Your body will thank you.

I knew there was some reason we didn't buy them. Normally we buy uncured beef when we buy them...which is not often. But the last time we bought some big long ones from Costco. I can't remember the brand. They probably have nitrates in them. Dunno.

#8 Tina B

Tina B

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:38 AM

Hebrew National are gluten free. They do contain soy but for those that only need worry about gluten they are great. So is the knockwurst.
Gluten free since 1990.
Diagnosed by duodenal biopsy.

You don't stop skiing because you get old. You get old because you stop skiing :-)

#9 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:33 AM

I never liked them--thought they were too garlic-y, but I wonder if because they contained wheat gluten for so long the equipment/production line is still contaminated.

I'm sure they "washed them down" and after so many runs are made of the new recipe they will probably be ok, gluten wise. The more sensitive may want to wait a while.....other ingredient sensitivites not withstanding.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#10 Wheatfreedude

Wheatfreedude

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:03 AM

I knew there was some reason we didn't buy them. Normally we buy uncured beef when we buy them...which is not often. But the last time we bought some big long ones from Costco. I can't remember the brand. They probably have nitrates in them. Dunno.

Since you are a fellow Costco shopper, look in the deli for AmyLu chicken sausages. I know they are NOT hot dogs, but they are:
* 100% natural no nitrites, no nitrates, no added MSG, no preservatives, no artificial anything
* 100% fresh boneless, skinless breast and thigh meat
* 100% pork-free our sausages feature tender lamb casings for better eating quality
* Gluten free
* Low in fat high in protein low in carbs

And this may seem crazy, I pan sear them for breakfast every morning!

I'm all about minimal ingredients, gluten free, low fat, high protein. THIS one is a winner.

~Wheatfreedude~
Self taught body builder
Fitness fanatic

#11 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

Since you are a fellow Costco shopper, look in the deli for AmyLu chicken sausages. I know they are NOT hot dogs, but they are:
* 100% natural no nitrites, no nitrates, no added MSG, no preservatives, no artificial anything
* 100% fresh boneless, skinless breast and thigh meat
* 100% pork-free our sausages feature tender lamb casings for better eating quality
* Gluten free
* Low in fat high in protein low in carbs

And this may seem crazy, I pan sear them for breakfast every morning!

I'm all about minimal ingredients, gluten free, low fat, high protein. THIS one is a winner.

~Wheatfreedude~

I have bought those before. I don't personally like chicken (or hotdogs either). Husband liked them okay but daughter didn't really like them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: