6 replies to this topic

#1 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:11 PM

SO I picked up some Masa Harina (corn flour). The only ingredients are White Corn, Water and Calcium Hydroxide (lime). I figured this should be safe and proceeded to make some fresh corn tortillas from it. They worked well and tasted yummy, but I was sick to my stomach and throwing it up soon after eating one (I ate one with nothing but a little salt first to test it). The strange thing is my glutening symptoms don't usually show up until the next day, but now I have a terrible headache, my joints ache like crazy and I can barely keep my eyes open, I'm so tired. Is there something I should know about the processing of this stuff? It does not have a warning about a shared facility or anything. Perhaps I am reacting the Lime? Just curious if anyone else has used Masa Harina and if there is a truly gluten free brand I can try instead. I was hoping to make tamales next :(
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,677 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:33 AM

I would call the company that produces it and ask if they also produce wheat flour. If they do chances for CC are in my opinion high.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 sickchick

sickchick

but you don't look sick.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:58 AM

SO I picked up some Masa Harina (corn flour). The only ingredients are White Corn, Water and Calcium Hydroxide (lime). I figured this should be safe and proceeded to make some fresh corn tortillas from it. They worked well and tasted yummy, but I was sick to my stomach and throwing it up soon after eating one (I ate one with nothing but a little salt first to test it). The strange thing is my glutening symptoms don't usually show up until the next day, but now I have a terrible headache, my joints ache like crazy and I can barely keep my eyes open, I'm so tired. Is there something I should know about the processing of this stuff? It does not have a warning about a shared facility or anything. Perhaps I am reacting the Lime? Just curious if anyone else has used Masa Harina and if there is a truly gluten free brand I can try instead. I was hoping to make tamales next :(

WOW- how depressing- I have never had problems being glutened by masa. I LOVE Masa!!! So much that last week I developed an intolerance and had to quit eating corn. HAHAHA :) There's always something ;)

Hope you figure it out Sweetie!
:)
Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!
Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.
Potato free since January 3rd 2008.
Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)
Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...
NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

#4 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:16 AM

I would call the company that produces it and ask if they also produce wheat flour. If they do chances for CC are in my opinion high.

Thanks, I finally got a reply from someone at this company. It is processed in a facility with wheat flour so I guess I got a batch that was badly contaminated. The brand is called "Minsa" in case anyone else wants to know. It's made in Mexico and sent here so it could have also been shipped/trucked in with Wheat flour in the same truck.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#5 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:19 AM

WOW- how depressing- I have never had problems being glutened by masa. I LOVE Masa!!! So much that last week I developed an intolerance and had to quit eating corn. HAHAHA :) There's always something ;)

Hope you figure it out Sweetie!
:)

Thanks. Do you mind sharing if there is a brand you buy that is safe? Or do you buy it fresh made from a Mexican market? I have heard of doing that as well, but I thought there would be a greater chance of CC in the deli than if I make it myself. I don't have any reactions to whole corn or corn starch so I know it wasn't the corn.

#6 munchkinette

munchkinette

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:17 PM

I use Maseca, which is labeled as gluten free. The company does produce wheat flour, but I don't know about the same factory. Based on their lengthy website on gluten-free foods and celiac disease, you can at least be confident that they will know how to answer your questions.

Maseca

Questions
Gluten free since Feb 2006, Dairy and Soy free since 2009

Anemic off and on since 2003
Negative tTG Ab, IgA, Gliadin Ab IgA, wheat allergy (IgE) blood tests (Feb 2006)
Positive wheat allergy skin test(Apr 2006)and dietary response (Feb 2006)
Celiac grandmother (Dx in 1940s, "grew out of it")

Training for my first triathlon to support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

~Amy

#7 rbabrams

rbabrams

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

Try gluten free masa harina from Bob's Red Mill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: