Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Masa Harina?

7 posts in this topic

SO I picked up some Masa Harina (corn flour). The only ingredients are White Corn, Water and Calcium Hydroxide (lime). I figured this should be safe and proceeded to make some fresh corn tortillas from it. They worked well and tasted yummy, but I was sick to my stomach and throwing it up soon after eating one (I ate one with nothing but a little salt first to test it). The strange thing is my glutening symptoms don't usually show up until the next day, but now I have a terrible headache, my joints ache like crazy and I can barely keep my eyes open, I'm so tired. Is there something I should know about the processing of this stuff? It does not have a warning about a shared facility or anything. Perhaps I am reacting the Lime? Just curious if anyone else has used Masa Harina and if there is a truly gluten free brand I can try instead. I was hoping to make tamales next :(

Ads by Google:

I would call the company that produces it and ask if they also produce wheat flour. If they do chances for CC are in my opinion high.

SO I picked up some Masa Harina (corn flour). The only ingredients are White Corn, Water and Calcium Hydroxide (lime). I figured this should be safe and proceeded to make some fresh corn tortillas from it. They worked well and tasted yummy, but I was sick to my stomach and throwing it up soon after eating one (I ate one with nothing but a little salt first to test it). The strange thing is my glutening symptoms don't usually show up until the next day, but now I have a terrible headache, my joints ache like crazy and I can barely keep my eyes open, I'm so tired. Is there something I should know about the processing of this stuff? It does not have a warning about a shared facility or anything. Perhaps I am reacting the Lime? Just curious if anyone else has used Masa Harina and if there is a truly gluten free brand I can try instead. I was hoping to make tamales next :(

WOW- how depressing- I have never had problems being glutened by masa. I LOVE Masa!!! So much that last week I developed an intolerance and had to quit eating corn. HAHAHA :) There's always something ;)

Hope you figure it out Sweetie!

:)

I would call the company that produces it and ask if they also produce wheat flour. If they do chances for CC are in my opinion high.

Thanks, I finally got a reply from someone at this company. It is processed in a facility with wheat flour so I guess I got a batch that was badly contaminated. The brand is called "Minsa" in case anyone else wants to know. It's made in Mexico and sent here so it could have also been shipped/trucked in with Wheat flour in the same truck.

WOW- how depressing- I have never had problems being glutened by masa. I LOVE Masa!!! So much that last week I developed an intolerance and had to quit eating corn. HAHAHA :) There's always something ;)

Hope you figure it out Sweetie!

:)

Thanks. Do you mind sharing if there is a brand you buy that is safe? Or do you buy it fresh made from a Mexican market? I have heard of doing that as well, but I thought there would be a greater chance of CC in the deli than if I make it myself. I don't have any reactions to whole corn or corn starch so I know it wasn't the corn.

I use Maseca, which is labeled as gluten free. The company does produce wheat flour, but I don't know about the same factory. Based on their lengthy website on gluten-free foods and celiac disease, you can at least be confident that they will know how to answer your questions.

Maseca

Questions