This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Surprise

SGWhiskers

SGWhiskers Collaborator

I'm still in SHOCK. I was told 4 years ago that I would need an egg donor. Hubby has severe problems too. Due to financial and health problems, we never pursued it. Today, my period was 3 days late and I took a test to get the hope of pregnancy out of my mind. I'm pregnant.

I have not been taking vitamin supplements and have been living off peanuts, oranges, juice, yogurt and soy protien shakes the past few weeks. I'm going to ask a doctor I work with for a blood test, but changes do I need to do now? I know the obvious of no caffine, no alcohol, and there never was any cigarettes. I want off my Cymbalta, but I will have to taper that one.

I'm moving in a month. Do I need a high risk doctor now or just later.

Can anyone recommend a gluten free multivitamin. I quit taking them long ago after they hurt my stomach.

I'm completely unprepared for this concept even though I desperately want a family. I just had given up long ago on conceiving.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

OMG--what a happy surprise!! I'm so happy for you and your husband!!!

I'm sure some of the more recent moms will chime in about vitamins and things--I just wanted to say congratulations :D

mommida Enthusiast

Congratulations! :D

My baby is 7 years old, so my prenatal advice would be out of date. :rolleyes:

Find a doctor you are comfortable with.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Unless there's something you haven't mentioned, you have no need for a high-risk doctor. Celiac disease isn't sufficient reason, and you achieved a natural pregnancy. Do start taking a prenatal vitamin along with extra calcium (spread throughout the day). Wait for a blood test to determine if you should be taking iron supplements - you don't want to get too much iron, however unlikely that is.

Stay healthy and there's no particular reason that you shouldn't have a perfectly fine pregnancy. And keep in mind that all the advice in the world out there doesn't trump your own gut instinct. My midwives specifically noted that moderation is the key to everything - it wasn't that I couldn't drink green tea, but shouldn't be drinking cups and cups a day. Most of these things are based on the extra-extra conservative approach, and not hard data.

lisa25 Rookie

I take Country Life Maxi Prenatal and it seems to do pretty well for me, but it does cost more than some brands. I hadn't had very good luck in the past finding any type of multivitamin that didn't make me feel sick. These are gelcaps...supposed to take them three times a day. They say gluten free, milk free, soy free, etc. on the bottle.

• 1 month later...
lucia Enthusiast

I'm still in SHOCK. I was told 4 years ago that I would need an egg donor. Hubby has severe problems too. Due to financial and health problems, we never pursued it. Today, my period was 3 days late and I took a test to get the hope of pregnancy out of my mind. I'm pregnant.

How is your pregnancy going?

SGWhiskers Collaborator

How is your pregnancy going?

Thank you for asking. We had our 12 week ultrasound today. I got to see it's little fingers waving at me while it flipped all around while the ultrasound tech tried to get good images for the nuchal test. I've had very little morning sickness but some pretty strong migraines that without my Imitrex, have had throwing up and miserable for several days at a time. All in all, the pregnancy is going quite well. I gained 15 lbs between weeks 5-9. My hunger was just like when I started the gluten-free diet and ate literally non stop. I got glutened 2 weeks ago and my appetite is starting to recover again. I'm hoping it picks up a little more though. Even though mom was worried about the weight gain, I felt FANTASTIC and liked the idea of baby getting more nutrition. Hopefully the nuchal test comes back with good results and we can rest easy for the next 6 months. Well, as easy as one can rest knowing their world is about to be turned upside down. Oh, and my husband who said he never wanted kids came out of the spare bedroom today after putting a few of my pregnancy books away giggling at the baby clothes sitting on the shelf in the closet. He's gonna be a great daddy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Oh, that's great news that I somehow missed whilst we were in the air. Congratulations and I am sure you both will be great as mommy and daddy. :D

kareng Grand Master

Great news!

I had horrible headaches & light headedness while pregnant but they seemed to be from very low blood pressure. Had a patient in the ICU take one look at me and painfully move his legs over & tell me to sit. He was afraid the pregnant lady was going to fall over. I looked that bad! Drinking more water then an elephant seemed to help.

Keep us informed as we are very nosey. :P

SGWhiskers Collaborator

Great news!

I had horrible headaches & light headedness while pregnant but they seemed to be from very low blood pressure. Had a patient in the ICU take one look at me and painfully move his legs over & tell me to sit. He was afraid the pregnant lady was going to fall over. I looked that bad! Drinking more water then an elephant seemed to help.

Keep us informed as we are very nosey. :P

Actually, my lightheadedness has dissappeared since getting pregnant. I think the extra blood supply is helping me too. Since you asked for updates and confessed to being nosey, and since I'm a big mouth, I'll share today's updates.

Jr. passed the ultrasound 1/2 of the nuchal test. The blood test portion will be available in a week. I was worried about the neural tube defect portion of the test the most since I wasn't taking any vitamins when I conceived and since I'm pretty sure I'm not all the way healed from Marsh IIIc damage. My appetite is returning with a vengance now that it has been 14 days since getting glutened. (by the way, don't be an idiot and trust the customer service rep at the grocery store chain when he says he is supposed to refer you to the nutritionist, but he knows that product is gluten free. It was Friday night, the nutritionist wouldn't be back until Monday, and I've had excellent customer service from them in the past).

Also, I heard the heartbeat today and doc says all is well. Baby is dating 2 days older than it really is, but that is probably normal and I'm eating like a pig and hubby and I are both tall. I'm telling myself this so that I can convince myself baby is not on track to being an 11 pounder.

I'm also crazy and think I felt Jr swimming around in there a few days ago. I'm only 12 weeks though and I think that is too early to feel a first baby. I guess it was gas.

kareng Grand Master

I think I felt mine around 12 weeks once or twice. Just sort of a little touch. If I was sitting quietly. Sounds like the little guppy is doing well. :P

T.H. Community Regular

Oh, congrats, congrats, congrats!!!

And I felt one of my midgets that early, so if you have a real little mover and shaker, it's possible. And even if it's gas - hey, no harm in giving yourself a boost and thinking about it.

I hope your pregnancy goes very well and wonderfully!! :D

Frances03 Enthusiast

How exciting! Another pregnancy on the board! I'm almost 17 weeks. This was a surprise too!! I'm really excited. You can start feeling them pretty early especially if they are active little ones! Mine is a total spaz!! I got a heart rate monitor and baby is always kicking it hard and hurting my ears when I try to listen LOL! Good luck with this pregnancy!! I'm happy for you!

SGWhiskers Collaborator

Thanks for the encouragement about the movement. Congrats McPhena! That is very cool about the heart rate monitor. I might look into one of those for fun. On the 12 week ultrasound, the little one didn't stop wiggling and was flipping up and down. Either my gas is getting worse or I'm feeling baby swimming around because now when I'm quiet and relaxed I notice the same sensation more frequently (like once a day 3-8 times in a row). That would be pretty cool if it was Jr. In a few months when I feel a serious kick, I might change my mind about baby vs. gas. For now, I'll think baby.

So, what ointments, creams, meds, stuff will the hospital give me during my stay that I will want to have pre checked for gluten? That darned Vitamin E shows up in everything now. Yes, some may disagree with the need, but I got gluten from hand soap before eating grapes. No gluten is going on my body.

Also, since this is my first baby, I've got no clue what products I need for self care and baby care at home aside from nipple cream, diaper cream, and baby shampoo.

And the Dr. says vitamin E is the only thing that actually really works to help prevent stretch marks. I can't find a lotion sized, pure Vitamin E product that is gluten free.

Oh, and did you see the recent article that children delivered vaginally have a lesser rate of celiac than children delivered by c-section. The researchers were suspecting the benificial bacteria in mom's system was transferred during the birthing process.

kareng Grand Master

I think that when you are about 7 months, call or have your OB's nurse call the Nursing Supervisor for Labor & Delivery where you are going. Make an appt and talk to her about all of this. You can try to talk to the Dietary Dept too but I would just have your hub prepared to bring all your food. You usually aren't at the hospital long after delivery.

Also, I think you are feeling baby. :)

Archived