This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

For The (former) Beer Drinkers Among Us...

steve-o

steve-o Apprentice

You have probably heard by now about Bards Tale beer... a special gluten-free beer, which according to the reviews, actually tastes really good. If you haven't heard of it, here's their website:

Open Original Shared Link

Unfortunately for me (and possibly many of you) Bards Tale is only available in a few select states. I live in Texas where it's not available, so I recently emailed the folks at Bards Beer, to ask how I can get my hands on some.

They told me about a company in Illinois called Internet Wines, which sells the stuff on their website, and will ship it to most (but not all) states. So I just wanted to share the info with all of you who have missed the great taste of a cold beer.

Their webpage is here:

www.internetwines.com/rws31724.html

The only downside, is that you may need to take out a second mortgage in order to afford the stuff. It's about $12 a six pack...and thats not even the bad part. Shipping is almost $15!

I guess it's all about supply and demand!

Anyhow...has anybody actually tasted this stuff? If so, what did you think? I'm a little reluctant to order it until hearing some testimonials about how good it is.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

I'm too young to give you a personal opinion, lol, but my dad tried it (even though he isn't celiac) and he said it tastes just like regular beer. My mom, a teetotaler who just took a sip of this one, agreed.

I've heard that it's very good on other boards--and Ramapo Valley, it's competiter, doesn't get nearly as good reviews.

sdore Enthusiast

Thank you so much for this information. The one beverage that I miss is beer. I really don't even drink anymore because I cannot stand rum and tequila.

I looked at the internet and I am so excited because I live in Indiana and there is a store right down the road from me that sells it!!!!!

thanks!

jenvan Collaborator

hey sdore--you live in Indiana? I live in Indiana !! Can I ask where? I am in Indy.

On Bard's--I am a slacker! I posted like 10 days ago that I bought some and was going to try it that night, but.... I haven't yet--been having abdominal pain and thought I should hold off. But...I think tonight might really really be the night. I'll let you all know as soon as I taste it ! :P

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I've never tried that beer (I don't like the taste of beer) but one of my cookbooks has a recipe for gluten free beer if anyone is interested. I don't have it with me right now, but I can post it later if there is interest.

sdore Enthusiast

I live in Porter Indiana which is close to Valparaiso Indiana if you are familar with Valparaiso University. Porter is on the Lake about 35-40 minutes away from Chicago. Do you know where this is?

I hope it does taste good, I like to have a beer every once and awhile.

Stephanie

jenvan Collaborator

Carrie- Huh, I'd be curious to see that recipe. I have some friends who are "home brewers".

Stephanie- Yeah, I definitely know where Valpo is! Did you go there for school? I went to DePauw...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sdore Enthusiast

No I went to IU.

I love indy. I was there earlier in the year for a convention. I will miss some of the wonderful restaurants it has to offer!

jenvan Collaborator

Stephanie-

That's cool...I had lots of friends at IU. Ever hang out in Broadripple? That's where I live...

nobeer4me Apprentice

I found a place in Ohio that has Bards. I'll have to drive over to get it.

I'm in PA. Looking forward to it!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Here is the recipe I have for home made gluten free beer. I've never made it, it's just a recipe I found in one of my cookbooks. Good luck to those who try!

Gluten Free Beer

3 - 21 oz cans/jars of gluten-free rice syrup

2 oz hops (use whatever kind you like with AA percent of 4-7

6 cups corn syrup (approx. 2lbs)

1 pkg dry gluten-free ale yeast

1 pint molasses

Bring 1 1/12 gallons of water to boil. Add all ingredients except 1 oz of hops. Boil for 60 minutes. Add 1/2 hops (for hop flavour) 45 minutes into the boil. Add 1/2 of hops (for aroma( during the the last 2 minutes of the boil. Cool and add to cold water in primary to make 5 gallons. Pitch yeast when 80 degrees F or below. Ferment for 7-10 days and bottle using 3/4 cup of priming sugar.

NOTE: Not sure of exact hop additions. If it comes out too sweet, add more hops for 60 minutes; too bitter, add less.

sdore Enthusiast

I have never been there.

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast
I found a place in Ohio that has Bards. I'll have to drive over to get it.

I'm in PA. Looking forward to it!

This is great. I live in PA, too. Where is this place in Ohio?

kerrera Rookie

I've had Bard's and it tastes like an IPA. It's really hoppy. I'm more into porters, reds, stouts, and hefeweizens so I didn't love it. But, it's beer! YEA!!!! If you're into IPA's, you'll love it. I need to try the Rampao next.

Enjoy!

lovegrov Collaborator

For the person who said they don't drink any more because they don't like rum or tequila __ virtually all distilled alcohols are gluten-free. Even if they're started with wheat or barley. Vodka, bourbon, gin and on and on are pretty much all gluten-free.

richard

frenchiemama Collaborator

My husband's co-irker's son is starting his own microbrewery within the next year. I talked to him, and he said that he will try to brew some gluten-free beer for me! If it turns out well he intends to sell it from his brewery, which will be in Wisconsin (because how am I supposed to live in WI without beer?)

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

I just had Bards Dragon Gold for the first time this past weekend.

It is a bit hoppy, I thought it was similar to Fat Tire.......in any event it is beer.

The Ohio locations to buy it are listed on their website.

www.bardsbeer.com

enjoy

moving on Apprentice

I really enjoy the hopsy taste of Bard's Tale and will soon travel to NC to purchase the 3rd and 4th case!

sdore Enthusiast

I thought only vodka made from potatoe was ok?

jenvan Collaborator

So I FINALLY drank some of that Bard's Tale I bought a month ago ! Now, I'm not a beer expert (more of a hard-alcohol type of person), but it tastes pretty good to me, like a beer :D Maybe a little on the bitter side ?

lovegrov Collaborator

All distilled alcohols are gluten-free as long as there's no gluten added after the distilling. This is true even if wheat, rye or barley is used.

richard

• 2 weeks later...
akua123 Newbie

I so wish I could get my hands on some gluten-free beer - but I live in Michigan and you can't ship it here, and I've never seen any around. Oh well, maybe some day. . .

Melody Newbie

I have tried both the Ramapo Valley and the Bards Tale beer. I like the Bards Tale the best. It has a more bitter taste, while the Ramapo is quite sweet. To me, the Bards tastes more like regular beer...at least from what I remember it tasting like :)

I too live in Indiana! I'm from Indianapolis and Broadripple isn't far from me. But I go to school in Pennsylvania which makes it hard to get the beer from NY unless I have a friend get it for me.

jenvan Collaborator

Melody-that's cool you're in Indy! Next time you're home for a break, you could pick up some bard's to take back with you. Wild oats carries it. There's one in Nora and one in Carmel/Westfield now too ;)

• 2 weeks later...
killernj13 Enthusiast

:D

I am drinking a gluten free Bard's Tale Beer Dragon's Gold as I type this and couldn't be happier. It is stronger that I was used to. (I was a Bud man in my pre-celiac days.) But its good to have a beer again. I picked it up in a Whole Foods in Manhattan. A little expensive but isn't all the stuff we have to buy.

Archived