Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 LDJofDenver

LDJofDenver

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:35 AM

I recently read a post somewhere in gluten-free-land that some of their items are gluten free and some are not.
Don't hold me to these specific items but it went something like, Ghirardelli chocolate squares were NOT gluten free but their chocolate chips were OK.

I'd contact Ghirardelli (go to their home page and click the Contact Us button) and ask directly.

This is an older post (2008), but worth a look:
http://glutenfreewor...ot-gluten-free/
Diagnosed 8-8-08 (I think I'll remember that date!)
Positive blood panel
Endoscopy a little later on confirmed, via Small Intestine Biopsy
Adult son diagnosed Celiac in his late 20s
Suspect my Mother undiagnosed Celiac

#3 i-geek

i-geek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:38 AM

I recently read a post somewhere in gluten-free-land that some of their items are gluten free and some are not.
Don't hold me to these specific items but it went something like, Ghirardelli chocolate squares were NOT gluten free but their chocolate chips were OK.

I'd contact Ghirardelli (go to their home page and click the Contact Us button) and ask directly.

This is an older post (2008), but worth a look:
http://glutenfreewor...ot-gluten-free/

That's what I read as well- they produce a chocolate bar with malted crisps on the same lines as their other chocolate bars and squares so there is potential for CC. The chocolate chips and cocoa powders are produced on a separate gluten-free line and are safe.

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:11 AM

Go to the website. Don't speculate. Ingredients change over time.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:05 PM

Latest I heard was 'no,' although some people might feel that the risk is acceptable. The change, I understand, is that they no longer have a dedicated gluten free line for their chocolate. They now have a chocolate that has barley in it on the same line, although it is cleaned in between different chocolates, of course.

There's a forum discussion post on it from 2008:
http://www.celiac.co...elli-chocolate/

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#6 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:44 PM

I eat their chocolate chips with no problem and I'm pretty sensitive.
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

#7 i-geek

i-geek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:25 AM

I eat their chocolate chips with no problem and I'm pretty sensitive.

Yep, I've baked with the chips and had no problems. I won't buy the chocolate bars though. I don't eat things made on shared equipment with gluten ingredients.

#8 LDJofDenver

LDJofDenver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:38 AM

Yep, I've baked with the chips and had no problems. I won't buy the chocolate bars though. I don't eat things made on shared equipment with gluten ingredients.

Ditto. And if you're looking for some good chocolate treats, heck, majority of Godiva chocolates and truffles are gluten free.
Diagnosed 8-8-08 (I think I'll remember that date!)
Positive blood panel
Endoscopy a little later on confirmed, via Small Intestine Biopsy
Adult son diagnosed Celiac in his late 20s
Suspect my Mother undiagnosed Celiac

#9 i-geek

i-geek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:45 AM

Ditto. And if you're looking for some good chocolate treats, heck, majority of Godiva chocolates and truffles are gluten free.

So are Scharffen-Berger, Dagoba, and Vosges chocolate bars (check labels on the latter because not all are gluten-free but they clearly label the ones that are). Yum.

#10 bluebonnet

bluebonnet

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:48 AM

the squares are NOT gluten free but the baking chips are ... i eat those like candy with no problems at all. :)

#11 sunnybabi1986

sunnybabi1986

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

Hm, I eat the bars all the time with no problem...is the only chocolate they make with barley the Luxe Milk Crisp?

I can't find it on this list: http://www.ghirardel...ts_allergy.aspx

Why is it not listed?
Gluten Free since October 2009

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" - Milton Berle

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it."--Lou Holtz

#12 i-geek

i-geek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:35 AM

Hm, I eat the bars all the time with no problem...is the only chocolate they make with barley the Luxe Milk Crisp?

I can't find it on this list: http://www.ghirardel...ts_allergy.aspx

Why is it not listed?

Probably because FDA standards don't require manufacturers to worry about barley, only wheat (and only because of allergies, not celiac disease or gluten intolerance). The companies that label gluten are going above and beyond what they are legally required to do.

#13 maryanno

maryanno

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for all the replies to my post! I did call Ghiradelli directly and received a call back. The lady told me all their chocolates are gluten free except the ones with crisps since they're made with barley. They throw out the first 2 batches on each line in case of CC.

#14 Leonesse

Leonesse

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:46 AM

It would be so helpful if we each CAPITALIZED or ENLARGED THE DATE OF OUR POSTS, as the posts from several years ago are often inaccurate today. Unless a post is very recent, we just cannot assume it is true anymore. In fact, when I contact companies, I often learn old posts are not accurate.

JUNE 24, 2011

I received this response today from Ghirardelli, which I had read was a safe chocolate, was eating it (and as a result getting horrible confusion and poor memory, which is my primary reaction: 9 days of profound stupidity, missing appointments, etc.).

The Ghirardelli company wrote:

Thank you for contacting Ghirardelli Chocolate. Ghirardelli currently offers one product which contains an gluten ingredient. Our Luxe Milk Crisp Squares and Bars, containing barley malt as an ingredient. As a result, the line on which our chocolate bars and Squares are produced, share a common line with barley gluten.

The chocolate chips (60% Bittersweet, Semi-Sweet, and Milk Chocolate) line and powder line (hot chocolates and baking cocoas) will remain free of gluten ingredients.

Ghirardelli takes the following measures to reduce cross contamination on our production lines: lines are cleaned between the changing from one product to the next. The first two batches of any product made are disposed of and not packaged.

Sincerely,
Consumer Service

Ghirardelli Chocolate Company
1111-139th Avenue
San Leandro 94578-2631
+1 510 483 69 70
http://www.ghirardelli.com
Loving connection is like water, bearing life & healing. Once, we were connected to all things; but we have disconnected from nature & ourselves. The animals, wild & domestic, are anxious to reconnect with us consciously so we may learn what they have to teach: how to love unconditionally, to parent well, to be at peace, to be resilient, to live lightly on the Earth in harmony with the animal & plant nations... Please consider learning animal communication. Anyone can do it, it's fun, and you'd help save the Earth!

#15 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:26 PM

Okay, you want bold ? Fri June 24, 2011 -What in the world is WRONG with GHIRADELLI for SCREWING UP THEIR CHOCOLATE BARS LIKE THAT over ONE LOUSY FLAVOR ?!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: