This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ghirardelli Chocolate

maryanno

maryanno Newbie

Is Ghirardelli Chocolate gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LDJofDenver Apprentice

I recently read a post somewhere in gluten-free-land that some of their items are gluten free and some are not.

Don't hold me to these specific items but it went something like, Ghirardelli chocolate squares were NOT gluten free but their chocolate chips were OK.

I'd contact Ghirardelli (go to their home page and click the Contact Us button) and ask directly.

This is an older post (2008), but worth a look:

Open Original Shared Link

i-geek Rookie

I recently read a post somewhere in gluten-free-land that some of their items are gluten free and some are not.

Don't hold me to these specific items but it went something like, Ghirardelli chocolate squares were NOT gluten free but their chocolate chips were OK.

I'd contact Ghirardelli (go to their home page and click the Contact Us button) and ask directly.

This is an older post (2008), but worth a look:

That's what I read as well- they produce a chocolate bar with malted crisps on the same lines as their other chocolate bars and squares so there is potential for CC. The chocolate chips and cocoa powders are produced on a separate gluten-free line and are safe.

kareng Grand Master

Go to the website. Don't speculate. Ingredients change over time.

T.H. Community Regular

Latest I heard was 'no,' although some people might feel that the risk is acceptable. The change, I understand, is that they no longer have a dedicated gluten free line for their chocolate. They now have a chocolate that has barley in it on the same line, although it is cleaned in between different chocolates, of course.

There's a forum discussion post on it from 2008:

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I eat their chocolate chips with no problem and I'm pretty sensitive.

i-geek Rookie

I eat their chocolate chips with no problem and I'm pretty sensitive.

Yep, I've baked with the chips and had no problems. I won't buy the chocolate bars though. I don't eat things made on shared equipment with gluten ingredients.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LDJofDenver Apprentice

Yep, I've baked with the chips and had no problems. I won't buy the chocolate bars though. I don't eat things made on shared equipment with gluten ingredients.

Ditto. And if you're looking for some good chocolate treats, heck, majority of Godiva chocolates and truffles are gluten free.

i-geek Rookie

Ditto. And if you're looking for some good chocolate treats, heck, majority of Godiva chocolates and truffles are gluten free.

So are Scharffen-Berger, Dagoba, and Vosges chocolate bars (check labels on the latter because not all are gluten-free but they clearly label the ones that are). Yum.

bluebonnet Explorer

the squares are NOT gluten free but the baking chips are ... i eat those like candy with no problems at all. :)

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

Hm, I eat the bars all the time with no problem...is the only chocolate they make with barley the Luxe Milk Crisp?

I can't find it on this list: Open Original Shared Link

Why is it not listed?

i-geek Rookie

Hm, I eat the bars all the time with no problem...is the only chocolate they make with barley the Luxe Milk Crisp?

I can't find it on this list: Open Original Shared Link

Why is it not listed?

Probably because FDA standards don't require manufacturers to worry about barley, only wheat (and only because of allergies, not celiac disease or gluten intolerance). The companies that label gluten are going above and beyond what they are legally required to do.

maryanno Newbie

Thanks for all the replies to my post! I did call Ghiradelli directly and received a call back. The lady told me all their chocolates are gluten free except the ones with crisps since they're made with barley. They throw out the first 2 batches on each line in case of CC.

• 11 months later...
Leonesse Rookie

It would be so helpful if we each CAPITALIZED or ENLARGED THE DATE OF OUR POSTS, as the posts from several years ago are often inaccurate today. Unless a post is very recent, we just cannot assume it is true anymore. In fact, when I contact companies, I often learn old posts are not accurate.

JUNE 24, 2011

I received this response today from Ghirardelli, which I had read was a safe chocolate, was eating it (and as a result getting horrible confusion and poor memory, which is my primary reaction: 9 days of profound stupidity, missing appointments, etc.).

The Ghirardelli company wrote:

Thank you for contacting Ghirardelli Chocolate. Ghirardelli currently offers one product which contains an gluten ingredient. Our Luxe Milk Crisp Squares and Bars, containing barley malt as an ingredient. As a result, the line on which our chocolate bars and Squares are produced, share a common line with barley gluten.

The chocolate chips (60% Bittersweet, Semi-Sweet, and Milk Chocolate) line and powder line (hot chocolates and baking cocoas) will remain free of gluten ingredients.

Ghirardelli takes the following measures to reduce cross contamination on our production lines: lines are cleaned between the changing from one product to the next. The first two batches of any product made are disposed of and not packaged.

Sincerely,

Consumer Service

Ghirardelli Chocolate Company

1111-139th Avenue

San Leandro 94578-2631

+1 510 483 69 70

Takala Enthusiast

Okay, you want bold ? Fri June 24, 2011 -What in the world is WRONG with GHIRADELLI for SCREWING UP THEIR CHOCOLATE BARS LIKE THAT over ONE LOUSY FLAVOR ?!!!!

They wash the lines between batches and throw out the first two batches? There is NO way you are getting CC'd by their chocolate in my opinion. I eat Ghirardelli and I am really sensitive. I have never had a problem with any of the chocolate squares or bars. Obviously I don't eat the ones with malt crisps. I love the little squares for a small treat when I have chocolate craving. And I live in fear of crumbs.

I don't think they are screwing up their chocolate at all. Throwing away two batches is pretty cautious in my opinion. Sort of a sad waste really.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I eat the Carmel filled ones frequently and haven't ever had any issues!

Gemini Experienced

They wash the lines between batches and throw out the first two batches? There is NO way you are getting CC'd by their chocolate in my opinion. I eat Ghirardelli and I am really sensitive. I have never had a problem with any of the chocolate squares or bars. Obviously I don't eat the ones with malt crisps. I love the little squares for a small treat when I have chocolate craving. And I live in fear of crumbs.

I don't think they are screwing up their chocolate at all. Throwing away two batches is pretty cautious in my opinion. Sort of a sad waste really.

I agree with you completely, sandsurfgirl! I am addicted to the little squares of chocolate and eat one every day. I do not generally eat from shared lines because I have become quite ill from doing so....I am that sensitive. I have learned that some companies do a fantastic job at preventing cc and Ghirardelli is one of them. If there were any amount of gluten contamination in them, I wouldn't be as well as I am with no symptoms. I am highly symptomatic when glutened.

Ghirardelli chocolates are safe for any Celiac...unless you have an additional allergy to another ingredient. There is too much fear out there.....

jackay Enthusiast

Okay, you want bold ? Fri June 24, 2011 -What in the world is WRONG with GHIRADELLI for SCREWING UP THEIR CHOCOLATE BARS LIKE THAT over ONE LOUSY FLAVOR ?!!!!

I agree 100%!

I agree with you completely, sandsurfgirl! I am addicted to the little squares of chocolate and eat one every day. I do not generally eat from shared lines because I have become quite ill from doing so....I am that sensitive. I have learned that some companies do a fantastic job at preventing cc and Ghirardelli is one of them. If there were any amount of gluten contamination in them, I wouldn't be as well as I am with no symptoms. I am highly symptomatic when glutened.

Ghirardelli chocolates are safe for any Celiac...unless you have an additional allergy to another ingredient. There is too much fear out there.....

There is waaayyyy too much fear out there and way too many myths that need to be myth busted.

smc Rookie

Yeah- Regarding old posts- On the Godiva chocolate website they state any person with a gluten allergy should Not consume their products!! Don't know if this changed recently or if they were ever safe.

Gemini Experienced

There is waaayyyy too much fear out there and way too many myths that need to be myth busted.

I totally agree! :D No need to make this diet any harder for newbies! It's important to get the correct information in the beginning. I just eat wayyyyyyy too many Ghirardelli squares and as a really sensitive Celiac, I would be back to square one if they contained any gluten.

Gemini Experienced

Yeah- Regarding old posts- On the Godiva chocolate website they state any person with a gluten allergy should Not consume their products!! Don't know if this changed recently or if they were ever safe.

You are correct...Godiva chocolates are not gluten-free. I used to eat them all the time pre-diagnosis and switched to Ghirardelli after diagnosis. It was tough giving them up but they have never professed to be gluten-free and with all the ingredients listed in their chocolates, I doubt they could pull that off without separate lines. Ingredient lists for Ghirardelli are pretty short!

Archived