#1 ejitt00

ejitt00

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:44 PM

Hi everyone,

hope somebody can give me an answer I posted this question on another board two days ago it got lots of views but no reply's! I had a Nathans Hotdog the other night & I had a bad reaction to it, it made me very sick! it says its Gluten Free on the label I haven't had a Hot Dog in a few years so I though I'd try one now I'm sorry I did could it have been an ingredient I reacted to? the ingredients are

water
beef
contains less then 2% of salt, sorbitol sodium lactate,
natural flavorings, sodium phosphate, hydrolyzed corn protein,paprika, sodium diacetate, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite, :blink: :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sunnybabi1986

sunnybabi1986

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:25 PM

Did you eat anything else with the hot dog? Ketchup, mustard, baked beans, etc? Could it possibly be something other than the hot dog?

I don't see anything that would make you sick in the hot dogs, but some people are extra sensitive to preservatives and/or nitrites.

If I remember correctly, sorbitol is a sweetener and also happens to be a laxative when taken in larger amounts. It draws water into the large intestine, stimulating bowel movement. I know I react strongly to even minute amounts of sorbitol. It gives me intestinal cramps :( I can't even chew sugar-free gum or use Flouride rinse or I get very sick. Perhaps you are sensitive to that?

It could be a number of things...I hope you figure it out and look forward to what other have to say :)

Edited to Add: I found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorbitol

It says, "Sorbitol also may aggravate irritable bowel syndrome,[8] and similar gastrointestinal conditions, resulting in severe abdominal pain for those affected, even from small amounts ingested."
Gluten Free since October 2009

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" - Milton Berle

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it."--Lou Holtz

#3 ejitt00

ejitt00

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:04 PM

Did you eat anything else with the hot dog? Ketchup, mustard, baked beans, etc? Could it possibly be something other than the hot dog?

I don't see anything that would make you sick in the hot dogs, but some people are extra sensitive to preservatives and/or nitrites.

If I remember correctly, sorbitol is a sweetener and also happens to be a laxative when taken in larger amounts. It draws water into the large intestine, stimulating bowel movement. I know I react strongly to even minute amounts of sorbitol. It gives me intestinal cramps :( I can't even chew sugar-free gum or use Flouride rinse or I get very sick. Perhaps you are sensitive to that?

It could be a number of things...I hope you figure it out and look forward to what other have to say :)

Edited to Add: I found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorbitol

It says, "Sorbitol also may aggravate irritable bowel syndrome,[8] and similar gastrointestinal conditions, resulting in severe abdominal pain for those affected, even from small amounts ingested."

thank you for replying to my post I just had some rice & Spinach nothing on the hot dog I think you might be right about the sorbitol every time I have anything sugar free I have a reaction but never as bad as this I'll watch out for that in the future thanks! :P

#4 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:29 PM

I doubt this is helpful but this is what happened to me:

I was eating a gluten-free brand of beef franks and feeling like they were bothering me. Well, got allergy tested, went back through labels and low and behold, the franks that I thought were all beef had soy protein in them, well, my allergy test was positive for soy, beef and mustard(which I had been dipping them in! I also tested positive to some spices, which I didn't check to see if they are in the franks yet, but one, if not some, are likely to be. No wonder I felt like they were not quite agreeing with me!
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

thank you for replying to my post I just had some rice & Spinach nothing on the hot dog I think you might be right about the sorbitol every time I have anything sugar free I have a reaction but never as bad as this I'll watch out for that in the future thanks! :P

In addition they are the greasiest hot dogs I have ever eaten. I love the way they taste but all the grease doesn't like me much. I hadn't noticed the sorbitol in them, I don't tolerate it either so that may factor in for me also. Too bad cause they taste so good, oh well back to Oscar.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 bluebonnet

bluebonnet

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:42 AM

your definitely right about the sorbitol. breath mints, gum, cereal would all give me a stomach ache. have you tried the boar's head brand of hot dogs? they have skinless and aren't greasy. they do of course have the nitrates/ nitrites but great flavor (which is why we always bought the nathan's). :)

#7 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:14 AM

your definitely right about the sorbitol. breath mints, gum, cereal would all give me a stomach ache. have you tried the boar's head brand of hot dogs? they have skinless and aren't greasy. they do of course have the nitrates/ nitrites but great flavor (which is why we always bought the nathan's). :)

Thanks so much for the info on Boar's Head. I'll have to pick those up next time I shop. I love hot dog's baked in saurkraut on a summer day.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#8 sunnybabi1986

sunnybabi1986

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:45 AM

Do any of you guys like Hebrew National Kosher Hot Dogs? I hate that most hot dogs contain random body parts of animals (gross out!) and that Hebrew National are high quality. But...I've never tried them. Anybody have any reviews? I did check, they are gluten free :)
Gluten Free since October 2009

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" - Milton Berle

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it."--Lou Holtz

#9 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:15 PM

Do any of you guys like Hebrew National Kosher Hot Dogs? I hate that most hot dogs contain random body parts of animals (gross out!) and that Hebrew National are high quality. But...I've never tried them. Anybody have any reviews? I did check, they are gluten free :)

:lol: Hebrew National are the ones I was talking about in my previous post. I'm not a conisseur of Hot Dogs/Franks but I liked them-esp. the low carb and sugar content. Those and Boar's Head were my staples. However, as I noted, my body didn't like the HN:( Just my bad luck. Nothing wrong with them.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: