This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Aussies: Eating gluten-free In Melbourne

missGfree

missGfree Newbie

im moving to melbourne shortly and am worried i wont be eating for the next few months :unsure:. i was hoping someone could give me some tips on finding foods that are safe and some names of places they trust.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

georgie Enthusiast

Hi, You will have a great time in Melbourne. I think of all the capital cities to be in - it must have about the best choices.

This article was in the newspaper recently. There are links to take you to other sites that list restaurants and gluten-free places. The comments at the bottom also have good places that people recommend.

Open Original Shared Link

This Directory is awesome!

Lord of the Fries is right in the city centre opposite the Flinders St railway station.

They do take away gluten-free fries and gluten-free vegetarian nuggets and sometimes they also

have gluten-free burgers.

One of the largest gluten-free stores is in Melbourne. They do mail order all around Australia as well.

All our foods have to be labelled to declare wheat and ingredients. A gluten-free label over rides the (wheat) ingredient listing. ie gluten-free must be gluten-free by law. The wheat is listed by law for people that are allergic to wheat. In these instances the wheat will have no gluten remaining and the gluten-free label is correct.

The Coeliac Society of Victoria can help

And in October there is the annual 2 day gluten-free Expo in Melbourne !

Enjoy!

amber Explorer

You will have no problem with finding gluten free foods in Melbourne. Melbourne is one of the best places in the world to be a celiac. The above post is very informative. If you have any specific questions please ask.

• 2 weeks later...
Mack the Knife Explorer

All major supermarkets in Melbourne carry gluten free products in the healthfood aisle. Coles is the best. They have gluten free frozen pies and pizza if that's your thing. Health food stores are all over the place too and have a big range of gluten free products.

Which area are you staying in?

There are quite a few chain take away places that offer reliable food options. They can be found all over the place in the CBD, inner city and at shopping malls. I use them quite a bit when I am out and about. The staff are usually very knowledgeable and can often supply a list of gluten free items if you ask.

Grill'd gourmet burgers Open Original Shared Link

Sushi Sushi Open Original Shared Link

Muffin Break Open Original Shared Link

Crust pizza Open Original Shared Link

Dominos Pizza Open Original Shared Link

Lord of the Fries Open Original Shared Link

The Spud Bar baked potatoes Open Original Shared Link

Some other places I eat at a lot are:

SACS Gluten Free cafe

105 High St, Northcote, 3070

Ph: (03) 9482-3999

Mr Natural Vegetarian Pizza

Mrs Parma's in the city is a personal favourite of mine. They have a separate gluten free menu and offer gluten free beer. They also have vegetarian options.

Pizza Farro they have fantastic gluten free gourmet pizzas and have gluten free beer.

Cicalata you have to try their home-made banana and raspberry bread.

The Organic Food and Wine Deli nb: they say they can't guarantee their food is 100% gluten free but they are very aware and careful and I have never had a problem there.

Finally, these websites are invaluable for finding gluten free places to eat in Melbourne:

Mack the Knife Explorer

All our foods have to be labelled to declare wheat and ingredients. A gluten-free label over rides the (wheat) ingredient listing. ie gluten-free must be gluten-free by law. The wheat is listed by law for people that are allergic to wheat. In these instances the wheat will have no gluten remaining and the gluten-free label is correct.

Just expanding on this... yes, in Australia we have the strictest gluten free labelling laws in the world.

If a product contains wheat, barley, oats or rye (or contains ingredients made form any of these ie soy sauce or malt flavourings) then they must be listed in the ingredients.

For a product to be labelled gluten free, it must test under 5ppm. In most other countries gluten free products only have to test under 20ppm.

And just so you know, oats aren't regarded as safe for coeliacs in Australia, so no product labelled gluten free can contain oats. You'll actually have trouble finding certified gluten free oats in Australia because the demand isn't there.

• 1 year later...
kellynolan82 Explorer

And just so you know, oats aren't regarded as safe for coeliacs in Australia, so no product labelled gluten free can contain oats. You'll actually have trouble finding certified gluten free oats in Australia because the demand isn't there.

Just a note on the oat situation you mentioned. Here in Australia many of our oats are already 'pure' and you'll find a lot that are labelled as 'wheat free'.

These oats are almost always free of barley and rye too. The "avenins" present in oats is likely far more of a concern in the long-term.

If in doubt, call the manufacturer.

beebs Enthusiast

Just a note on the oat situation you mentioned. Here in Australia many of our oats are already 'pure' and you'll find a lot that are labelled as 'wheat free'.

These oats are almost always free of barley and rye too. The "avenins" present in oats is likely far more of a concern in the long-term.

If in doubt, call the manufacturer.

The Planet organic oats are labelled gluten free - so I assume they must be??? Who can afford $9 for 500g though! Ugh!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 year later...
Tilda Newbie

im moving to melbourne shortly and am worried i wont be eating for the next few months unsure.gif. i was hoping someone could give me some tips on finding foods that are safe and some names of places they trust.

My 18 year old daughter is about to move to Melbourne for 4 months.  She has celiac disease.  I'd like to ask the same question missGfree asked 3 years ago.  Any tips to help her transition.  Does anyone know if they have gluten free Chex cereal?  Shaar pasta?  What's the best bread for sandwiches to take to school?  Thanks for any tips.

Saz Explorer

My 18 year old daughter is about to move to Melbourne for 4 months.  She has celiac disease.  I'd like to ask the same question missGfree asked 3 years ago.  Any tips to help her transition.  Does anyone know if they have gluten free Chex cereal?  Shaar pasta?  What's the best bread for sandwiches to take to school?  Thanks for any tips.

I don't live in Melbourne so can't really help much with eating out. Crust Pizza, Grill'd and Muffin break mentioned above are national chains though and still offer gluten-free.

I don't think we have gluten-free chex here. There a gluten free cereal available in the health food section of supermarkets. Freedom foods has a large variety, they also do gluten-free Muesli bars and biscuits.

As for bread Coles stock Livwell, Purebred and Genius. They are imported from the UK, Livwell and Purebred products are defrosted before been put on the shelf and genius is sold frozen. All personal taste but I think they are the best tasting brands.

If you tell us about the type of things your daughter usually eats, we might be able to suggest equivilant brands here.

• 4 weeks later...
Scarletgrrrl Rookie

So glad I have found this post. I am going to Melbourne this weekend. i am newly gluten free (still awaiting the results from my endoscopy). I was a little daunted by the thought of trying to find gluten free food but you have put my mind at ease. :)

Archived