Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

• Announcements

• Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Store. For Additional Information: Subscribe to: Journal of Gluten Sensitivity

Breakfast Cereal Bars

1 post in this topic

Hi All:

I found this wonderful recipe for breakfast cereal bars and I wanted to share with people here.

I made them and they are very, very good.

A diabetic coworker of mine called them birdseed bars because I used millet seed instead of millet flake cereal.

I also substituted brown rice syrup for corn syrup which I don't like. But you could use maple syrup too.

The thing I really like about these bars is that they are not very sweet. I made the whitehouse fruit and oar bars recipe that I posted a few month ago and they are far too sweet for me. These are just right for me.

So here is the recipe:

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Grease an 11 x 8 inch shallow baking pan

1/2 cup butter softened

2 tbs light brown sugar (you could use agave too)

2 tbs light corn syrup (I subbed brown rice syrup because I hate corn syrup, you could also use maple syrup, too)

1/2 cup millet flakes (I used millet seeds)

1/4 cup quinoa grain

1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries (I love dried cranberries because of the tartness of them)

1/4 cup raisins

1/4 sunflower seeds

3 tbs flax seeds

3 tbs sesame seeds

1/4 shredded, unsweetened coconut

2 eggs lightly beaten

Beat together the butter, sugar, and syrup until creamy

Add all the remaining ingredients and beat well until combined

Turn into the pan and level the surface

Bake for 35 minutes until deep golden.

Allow the pan to cool and turn out the bars onto a wooden surface and cut using a serrated knife.

Nutritional values:

Each bar (assuming 16 bars in all) has 156 calories, 3 grams of protein, 16 grams of carbs, 9 grams of fat, 1 gram of fiber, 54 mg of calcium, and 1 mg of iron

I am going to make these again soon.

I hope some of you try these.

If you use the millet seed, they really come out like birdseed bars but what is wrong with that?

And, best of all, they are not that sweet.