#1 AlysounRI

AlysounRI

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:04 PM

Hi All:

I found this wonderful recipe for breakfast cereal bars and I wanted to share with people here.
I made them and they are very, very good.
A diabetic coworker of mine called them birdseed bars because I used millet seed instead of millet flake cereal.
I also substituted brown rice syrup for corn syrup which I don't like. But you could use maple syrup too.
The thing I really like about these bars is that they are not very sweet. I made the whitehouse fruit and oar bars recipe that I posted a few month ago and they are far too sweet for me. These are just right for me.

So here is the recipe:

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Grease an 11 x 8 inch shallow baking pan

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter softened
2 tbs light brown sugar (you could use agave too)
2 tbs light corn syrup (I subbed brown rice syrup because I hate corn syrup, you could also use maple syrup, too)
1/2 cup millet flakes (I used millet seeds)
1/4 cup quinoa grain
1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries (I love dried cranberries because of the tartness of them)
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 sunflower seeds
3 tbs flax seeds
3 tbs sesame seeds
1/4 shredded, unsweetened coconut
2 eggs lightly beaten

Beat together the butter, sugar, and syrup until creamy
Add all the remaining ingredients and beat well until combined
Turn into the pan and level the surface
Bake for 35 minutes until deep golden.
Allow the pan to cool and turn out the bars onto a wooden surface and cut using a serrated knife.

Nutritional values:
Each bar (assuming 16 bars in all) has 156 calories, 3 grams of protein, 16 grams of carbs, 9 grams of fat, 1 gram of fiber, 54 mg of calcium, and 1 mg of iron

I am going to make these again soon.
I hope some of you try these.
If you use the millet seed, they really come out like birdseed bars but what is wrong with that?
And, best of all, they are not that sweet.

~Allison
Long history of IBS, and stomach/intestinal problems. Low on iron for all of my life.
Low on energy, with aches and pains in my joints and in my whole body for as long as I can remember.
Mostly lactose intolerant for all of my life (except for yoghurt)
Diagnosed in 2003 by naturapath as wheat intolerant. Tried it then fell of the wagon. In Feb. 2010 tried going gluten-free.
Went back to the poison in March, 2010.
Tested negative for celiac in April, 2010 (based on negative biopsy and normal tTG test). IgA tested 30-40 percent higher than normal.
Not going to fight the diagnosis because I refuse to go back to the poison. Happily gluten-free for health reasons as of April 2010, and not looking back.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: