Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Is Bacardi Mixers: Frozen Concentrate Non-Alcoholic Pina Colada Gluten-Free?

5 posts in this topic

Last light I mixed up some Pina Colada's and used the Frozen Bacardi Mixer Non-Alcoholic Pina Colada The rum I used is gluten-free for sure, didn't really think about the drink mix and I can't find anything about its gluten status online and lets just say I'm having gluten type effects. Rather I'm praying its gluten and not the stomach flu which would be even more not fun. I know I should have checked it status before using it but I didn't:(

Ads by Google:

I read the ingredients as posted at the link you provided, and can not see anything which would be a concern with regards to gluten.

The mix does have natural flavors. I always check with the company before consuming anything with that in the ingredient list. Don't know for sure that was what got you, what else have you eaten as far as processed foods go in the last 1 to 3 days? We can have delayed reactions.

It is possible for gluten to hide in flavoring, but it almost never does.

Shelley Case, RD, in her book Gluten-Free Diet: A Comprehensive Resource Guide says,

It would be rare to find a "natural or artificial flavoring" containing gluten because: (a) hydrolyzed wheat protein cannot be hidden under the term "flavor," and (B) barley malt extract or barley malt flavoring is almost always declared as "barley malt extract" or "barley malt flavoring." For this reason, most experts do not restrict natural and artificial flavorings in the gluten-free diet.

It is possible for gluten to hide in flavoring, but it almost never does.

Shelley Case, RD, in her book Gluten-Free Diet: A Comprehensive Resource Guide says,

This is so good to hear. I've been adding a lot more foods to my diet and am now including some processed foods. I have taken the risk with natural flavoring and hoping for the best. So far no problems. I can relax a bit now knowing they are almost always safe.