Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Is Bacardi Mixers: Frozen Concentrate Non-Alcoholic Pina Colada Gluten-Free?

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 BlueTaelon

BlueTaelon

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:51 AM

Last light I mixed up some Pina Colada's and used the Frozen Bacardi Mixer Non-Alcoholic Pina Colada The rum I used is gluten-free for sure, didn't really think about the drink mix and I can't find anything about its gluten status online and lets just say I'm having gluten type effects. Rather I'm praying its gluten and not the stomach flu which would be even more not fun. I know I should have checked it status before using it but I didn't:(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:07 AM

I read the ingredients as posted at the link you provided, and can not see anything which would be a concern with regards to gluten.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,769 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:53 PM

The mix does have natural flavors. I always check with the company before consuming anything with that in the ingredient list. Don't know for sure that was what got you, what else have you eaten as far as processed foods go in the last 1 to 3 days? We can have delayed reactions.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:07 PM

It is possible for gluten to hide in flavoring, but it almost never does.

Shelley Case, RD, in her book Gluten-Free Diet: A Comprehensive Resource Guide says,

It would be rare to find a "natural or artificial flavoring" containing gluten because: (a) hydrolyzed wheat protein cannot be hidden under the term "flavor," and (B) barley malt extract or barley malt flavoring is almost always declared as "barley malt extract" or "barley malt flavoring." For this reason, most experts do not restrict natural and artificial flavorings in the gluten-free diet.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 jackay

jackay

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:27 PM

It is possible for gluten to hide in flavoring, but it almost never does.

Shelley Case, RD, in her book Gluten-Free Diet: A Comprehensive Resource Guide says,

This is so good to hear. I've been adding a lot more foods to my diet and am now including some processed foods. I have taken the risk with natural flavoring and hoping for the best. So far no problems. I can relax a bit now knowing they are almost always safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: