This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Can I Take For Help With The Itching?

vickyn-p

vickyn-p Newbie

My DH showed up in a new place and is super, super itchy. Is there ANYTHING I can do to help soothe it while my body heals from the gluten exposure?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

OptimisticMom42 Apprentice

I take liquid children's benedryl and use hydrocortisone cream. It stops the itching pretty well for me.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

For me the biggest help is cool compresses and a topical hydrocortisone cream. If I am having a very bad time with it, which hasn't happened since I have been gluten free, I used to get a short course of prednisone from the doctor.

For me the benydral doesn't help but it would make me sleepy so I would sometimes take it at night.

Be sure to check all your topical products, you don't want to keep the reaction going by using topicals on the raw sores.

I know how uncomfortable you are feeling and hope it resolves soon.

Oh yea and do avoid iodine in salt and supplements for a bit until the DH outbreaks stop happening. Iodine will keep the antibodies active.

vickyn-p Newbie

For me the biggest help is cool compresses and a topical hydrocortisone cream. If I am having a very bad time with it, which hasn't happened since I have been gluten free, I used to get a short course of prednisone from the doctor.

For me the benydral doesn't help but it would make me sleepy so I would sometimes take it at night.

Be sure to check all your topical products, you don't want to keep the reaction going by using topicals on the raw sores.

I know how uncomfortable you are feeling and hope it resolves soon.

Oh yea and do avoid iodine in salt and supplements for a bit until the DH outbreaks stop happening. Iodine will keep the antibodies active.

Thanks for the information and concern. The itchy has subsided and now I'm just waiting for it to heal. I guess I've gotten even more sensitive to gluten after being gluten free for so long.

ChemistMama Contributor

Thanks for the information and concern. The itchy has subsided and now I'm just waiting for it to heal. I guess I've gotten even more sensitive to gluten after being gluten free for so long.

Sarna Sensitive lotion (the one that doesn't contain menthol) has the same painkiller that's in Neosporin Pain but without the antibiotics. It's the one thing I always turn to to soothe the itch.

bluebonnet Explorer

i can't take benedryl because of svt but i have found a generous dose of the topical calamine lotion helps with the itching/burning. it only helps deal though ... gotta stay away from gluten for total healing. :)

• 3 weeks later...
ChemistMama Contributor

i can't take benedryl because of svt but i have found a generous dose of the topical calamine lotion helps with the itching/burning. it only helps deal though ... gotta stay away from gluten for total healing. :)

This is a misconception: Benadryl will do NOTHING to help DH. Benadryl is a histamine blocker, and histamine isn't a part of the DH pathway, it has to do with your T cells and some other complicated stuff. The only oral medicine for DH is dapsone, which can be nasty in its own right (need regular bloodwork, yucchy side effects). My DH also warned against too much topical steroid cream, it can actually hinder healing. Use something with a topical pain killer and a moisturizer to help things heal.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ChemistMama Contributor

My DH also warned against too much topical steroid cream, it can actually hinder healing. Use something with a topical pain killer and a moisturizer to help things heal.

OOps, that should be my Dermatologist said....too much DH on the brain, I think!! ;)

Hopeful1950 Apprentice

I have had the DH rash for 7 years and was just diagnosed about 10 weeks ago. I have tried everything for the itching. The Sensitive Sarna works very well, but I am allergic to it and breakout in thousands of tiny blisters when I use it. I have found another remedy that works pretty well "Bandaid Hurt-Free Antiseptic Wash". It contains lidocaine which helps with the itch. I keep it in the fridge so the combination of cold and lidocaine is very soothing. It also kills germs which I have always needed since I was clawing myself in my sleep. I also go easy on steroids, but sometimes they are the only thing that will help.

Deb H Newbie

I have had the DH rash for 7 years and was just diagnosed about 10 weeks ago. I have tried everything for the itching. The Sensitive Sarna works very well, but I am allergic to it and breakout in thousands of tiny blisters when I use it. I have found another remedy that works pretty well "Bandaid Hurt-Free Antiseptic Wash". It contains lidocaine which helps with the itch. I keep it in the fridge so the combination of cold and lidocaine is very soothing. It also kills germs which I have always needed since I was clawing myself in my sleep. I also go easy on steroids, but sometimes they are the only thing that will help.

I have been trying to find something for the burning itch.. Nothing so far.. Doctor keeps giving me a antihistimaine, which doesn't do anything.. On the bad days I take it to try to fool myself.. lol.. Thank you for the suggestion.. I will defiantely try that..

Archived