This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Got Glutened But Can't Figure Out From What

looking4help

looking4help Apprentice

Ok, I was super duper careful this weekend with anything I put into my mouth. I just am so desperate to stay away from gluten, but this weekend I got hit. Not really, really hard but it did happen enough to knock me down a bit.

I knew we were traveling for a day trip so I prepared the night before. I went shopping and then prepared an entire cooler of food for me. I even went to my fav gluten free bakery and bought bread.

The only thing new in the diet was taco bell mild sauce and some ortega Whole Grain taco shells which were gluten free and a taco seasoning that I read and thought was gluten free but maybe I missed something?

I looked up the taco bell sauce mild and it says no gluten.

The shells have this listed: whole yellow kernal corn, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, maltodextrin, corn bran, water, salt and hydrated lime.

Anything else I ate this weekend has already been a part of my diet for the last few months with no issues.

Fresh Fruit

few and I do mean a few shreds of sharp cheese

lettuce

tomato

ground turkey for tacos

snacks from my gluten free bakery

Lays stacks

Homemade chicken salad with fresh chicken I cooked, mayo and mustard gluten free

bread from my gluten free bakery

peanut butter

crackers gluten free used to dip peanut butter

I have stopped drinking milk all together because it makes me bathroom sick and my tummy bloats and rumbles louder than a heard of elephants running. I have also limited my soy intake. Most everything I eat (Which is still very little) is fresh. Hardly anything processed like I was before. Mostly cooking it all myself.

Any ideas how I got glutened? I really want to avoid it.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

A few thoughts.

1. How long have you been gluten free? If you are still in the first few months, sometimes you can just get sick for no reason because of healing or withdrawals. I had that happen for the first 4 months. I would know I had no gluten but I felt glutened.

2. Did you use any new soaps, shampoos, conditioner, etc. that might have had gluten in them? It's so easy to have it on your hands and touch your food or for it to run down your face in the shower. At hotels I don't use the little soaps and stuff they leave cuz I don't know if it's safe.

3. Could you be reacting to something in one of the bakery items? The ingredients on stuff you listed is all safe.

4. Could you have a stomach virus or some sort of other bug? Even if you are gluten free you're still susceptible to that stuff. Like I know it's gluten because I get anxiety attacks and bloating in addition to the regular C or D.

looking4help Apprentice

I have been gluten free since April of this year. I have had several bumps in the road as I learn and research more and more. I really have been thinking that I was getting a better grip on it though because I stopped the processed food that states gluten free and went more to fresh prepared. New pan, new utensils, separate storage area for my gluten free. And almost every meal in my house is gluten free now. Hubby is really supportive.

I switched my shampoos, threw away all my lotion (it was aveeno which is made from oats and I just am so afraid of CC)

Bakery items: I had not tried anything new from them. They are so very careful NOTHING has gluten. They even post a warning do not bring anything gluten into this establishment we are 100% gluten free etc. etc. Many of their items are also soy/dairy free etc. So I think that I as safe with those items.

Don't think I have a stomach virus. I did have a bit of D but most of the symptoms were neuro. When I get glutened I have horrible blurred vision, a squeezing pressure type of pain radiating up from the base of my neck over my head into my eyes. Dizziness, muscle/joint pain.

I am clearing up more today.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

A few thoughts.

1. How long have you been gluten free? If you are still in the first few months, sometimes you can just get sick for no reason because of healing or withdrawals. I had that happen for the first 4 months. I would know I had no gluten but I felt glutened.

2. Did you use any new soaps, shampoos, conditioner, etc. that might have had gluten in them? It's so easy to have it on your hands and touch your food or for it to run down your face in the shower. At hotels I don't use the little soaps and stuff they leave cuz I don't know if it's safe.

3. Could you be reacting to something in one of the bakery items? The ingredients on stuff you listed is all safe.

4. Could you have a stomach virus or some sort of other bug? Even if you are gluten free you're still susceptible to that stuff. Like I know it's gluten because I get anxiety attacks and bloating in addition to the regular C or D.

i-geek Rookie

You may be more sensitive to dairy than you think. My best friend has a casein intolerance. Even a little bit (like a few shreds of cheese by accident) will have her in the bathroom for hours. A lot of people with gluten intolerance also have this.

You are still in healing phase so there's a good chance it's just one of those weird times then. Don't stress about it. You've done everything to protect yourself. We can't let this disease run our lives.

I still get funny tummy stuff for no reason even if I haven't eaten out or anything. I just chalk it up to my damaged gut.

looking4help Apprentice

I have been considering taking out dairy completely. I thought I was ok with the absence of milk because I was drinking it down after every bowl of cereal. (Please understand that I was a CEREAL freak! sometimes 3 or 4 bowls a day. It's easy, quick and nothing to cook. I know lazy, lazy.)

If I do cut dairy what besides cheese and milk? I mean could I still use it to cook with? Or completely none?

Thanks!

You may be more sensitive to dairy than you think. My best friend has a casein intolerance. Even a little bit (like a few shreds of cheese by accident) will have her in the bathroom for hours. A lot of people with gluten intolerance also have this.

TEMP876556 Newbie

I keep suggesting the same thing to these types of questions, but it's something that took me a while to figure out so I want to put it out there as a suggestion:

Have you had an allergen panel done yet? It's possible that you are reacting to other foods besides gluten. It's common for people who have suffered from celiac disease for some time without treatment are also sensitive to other foods until you heal your intestine (also known as leaky gut syndrome).

Also, this may sound silly, but have you sealed any envelopes lately? The adhesive on an envelope usually contains gluten.

And lastly, how long have you been avoiding processed foods? I know after a while of eating fresh produce and avoiding processed foods, I had a real bad reaction to maltodextrin.

Hope you find out what happened!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jackay Enthusiast

Could you possibly gotten cc from your vehicle such as the steering wheel or door handles? I know my car isn't safe.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

What brand of Taco seasoning? And what did you drink?

I wonder about the taco shells. Were they made in a factory that handles gluten products? Could be contamination issues.

You could have a problem with corn.

Taco Bells sauces could be cross contaminated or you may be sensitive to the nightshade plants.

Turkey or chicken could have additives made with gluten, depends on what brand.

Peanut butter, not sure if it could contain gluten. But could contain corn syrup.

If you haven't been gluten free for long the dairy could have set it off.

looking4help Apprentice

OMG! It's SO possible! Hubby and I switched off driving for the trip. He had eaten some chips which I don't think were gluten free. I was so careful too. I didn't even kiss him that day b/c of the CC possibility.

I am a freak about germs but didn't think of wiping the steering wheel down in between us driving. I usually just do it after a trip and we return home when we are unpacking.

Dang!!!

Could you possibly gotten cc from your vehicle such as the steering wheel or door handles? I know my car isn't safe.

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

Could you have a stomach virus or some sort of other bug? Even if you are gluten free you're still susceptible to that stuff. Like I know it's gluten because I get anxiety attacks and bloating in addition to the regular C or D.

This is a good point. I've found myself up at night sometimes with stomach cramps and nausea (my typical gluten symptoms) but CANNOT figure out what made me sick. It frustrates me, but I think maybe sometimes it's a mild stomach bug or mild food poisoning. The problem is, for me, the symptoms for those are the same as being glutened, so it's hard to say which it is :(

In any case, occasionally it may just be a bug/virus or some mild food poisoning, if you're certain it's nothing else. :)

i-geek Rookie

I have been considering taking out dairy completely. I thought I was ok with the absence of milk because I was drinking it down after every bowl of cereal. (Please understand that I was a CEREAL freak! sometimes 3 or 4 bowls a day. It's easy, quick and nothing to cook. I know lazy, lazy.)

If I do cut dairy what besides cheese and milk? I mean could I still use it to cook with? Or completely none?

Thanks!

My friend can't have it at all. No dairy cheese, milk, butter, yogurt, nothing with milk derivatives (casein, lactose) added- which is a majority of processed foods, it seems. All of it makes her sick.

Alternatively, when I finally went gluten-free just over 6 months ago I had gotten sick enough that even butter tore me up so I had to give up dairy completely. After a few months my gut had healed enough to tolerate it again. I have no problems with butter or moderate amounts of cheese, yogurt, or lactose-free milk now. I can eat ice cream with lactase pills. You might want to cut it out completely now and try adding it back in after a month or two.

looking4help Apprentice

I think the seasoning was McCormick. I read ingredients and thought I was safe but I am still learning. The pkg is already thrown away so I couldn't look again.

I haven't had any issues with corn for other things.

The turkey is made by HEB and they have taken a HUGE campaign out to promote gluten free and such. They are revamping their products and really jumping on the education of gluten/celiac. So, I don't think it was the turkey. Plus I have had it several times and never a problem.

The peanut butter was Jif to go. Those little cups that you can take with you. Maybe they aren't so great for me?

Thanks!

What brand of Taco seasoning? And what did you drink?

I wonder about the taco shells. Were they made in a factory that handles gluten products? Could be contamination issues.

You could have a problem with corn.

Taco Bells sauces could be cross contaminated or you may be sensitive to the nightshade plants.

Turkey or chicken could have additives made with gluten, depends on what brand.

Peanut butter, not sure if it could contain gluten. But could contain corn syrup.

If you haven't been gluten free for long the dairy could have set it off.

i-geek Rookie

OMG! It's SO possible! Hubby and I switched off driving for the trip. He had eaten some chips which I don't think were gluten free. I was so careful too. I didn't even kiss him that day b/c of the CC possibility.

I am a freak about germs but didn't think of wiping the steering wheel down in between us driving. I usually just do it after a trip and we return home when we are unpacking.

Dang!!!

Hmm, this is a good point. People who don't have gluten problems don't even think about it, so it's definitely a possibility.

We went to our friends' house last night for a barbecue. We brought our own portable grill and burger patties, chips, and lettuce leaves for my burgers. Everyone else ate veggie burgers on whole wheat buns. Of course since our grill was charcoal, everyone wanted their burgers done on it so since veggie burgers have wheat, my burgers had to be wrapped in foil (meaning no nice grill lines, no smoke flavor- on my own grill! :angry: ). It was amazing to watch how gluten-eaters eat. I was glad I'd already gotten fruit salad and had shaken out chips onto my plate immediately, because everyone else started grabbing for the buns and veggie burgers, then stuck their fingers right in the fruit bowl, the chip bag, all over the table and door handles, there was wheat flour everywhere and now we have to scrub down the grill AGAIN... whew. I didn't get sick, but that's only because once I had my plate, I didn't dare go for seconds of anything.

RiceGuy Collaborator

One thing to consider besides the dairy might be the Lay's chips. Many here have reported getting glutened by them. It's not every time, so it is entirely possible that the level of CC was just a little higher than it has been, and reached the threshold for your immune system to react.

Another thing might be the peanut butter, unless it is your own jar which nobody else ever used.

If you find it necessary to cut all dairy, there are non-dairy cheese and milk products out there. Rice, nut, and soy based cheeses and milks, and numerous recipes for making them at home too. There's also coconut based milk and ice cream. Incidentally, last I heard Rice Dream milk does contain gluten even though it claims gluten-free on the label.

kareng Grand Master

Don't think I have a stomach virus. I did have a bit of D but most of the symptoms were neuro. When I get glutened I have horrible blurred vision, a squeezing pressure type of pain radiating up from the base of my neck over my head into my eyes. Dizziness, muscle/joint pain.

I am clearing up more today.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

It sounds like a migraine. I know that these can possibly be caused by gluten but maybe it was something else. Low estrogen levels during a point in my cycle gave me migraines. We know that because we gave me a little estrogen & they went away. Also, bright sun, especially reflecting off water or snow seems to trigger them in me. Fluorescent lights can trigger them. The migraine can give you an upset stomach. Just one more fun thing to think about! :)

Rice Dream is processed with barley enzymes and the gluten is trace trace trace but many of us, including me won't use it even if it's only 20 parts per million.

I use almond milk. Blue Diamond is good and when I cook with the original nobody complains. Even mashed potatoes and gravy turn out good with it.

I'm suffering today from eating dairy yesterday. I'm so DUMB since I was already glutened and I knew the stupid dairy would give me a tummy ache but it was 4th of July!!! wahhhhhh!

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Dang!!!

My vote is for cc from your hubby while in the car. However I also wanted to share that soy gives me a headache/brain fog within minutes of consuming it and I will be tired the next day. It's even worse if it is "partially hydrogenated soy" so those corn taco shells would not be safe for me. I have been able to tolerate a little soybean oil if it is organic/non-genetically modified but there are very few products that have that so I avoid soy in almost all forms.

GFinDC Veteran

Ok, I was super duper careful this weekend with anything I put into my mouth. I just am so desperate to stay away from gluten, but this weekend I got hit. Not really, really hard but it did happen enough to knock me down a bit.

I knew we were traveling for a day trip so I prepared the night before. I went shopping and then prepared an entire cooler of food for me. I even went to my fav gluten free bakery and bought bread.

The only thing new in the diet was taco bell mild sauce and some ortega Whole Grain taco shells which were gluten free and a taco seasoning that I read and thought was gluten free but maybe I missed something?

I looked up the taco bell sauce mild and it says no gluten.

The shells have this listed: whole yellow kernal corn, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, maltodextrin, corn bran, water, salt and hydrated lime.

Anything else I ate this weekend has already been a part of my diet for the last few months with no issues.

Fresh Fruit

lettuce

tomato

ground turkey for tacos

Lays stacks

Homemade chicken salad with fresh chicken I cooked, mayo and mustard gluten free

peanut butter

crackers gluten free used to dip peanut butter

I have stopped drinking milk all together because it makes me bathroom sick and my tummy bloats and rumbles louder than a heard of elephants running. I have also limited my soy intake. Most everything I eat (Which is still very little) is fresh. Hardly anything processed like I was before. Mostly cooking it all myself.

Thanks!

OK. I am not you, but I'd be sick, sick, sick if I ate what you did.

I am adding notes to your list below of why it would be bad for me. Seems like you have a lot of soy in your list of foods. Also some nightshades that would be a no no for me. Maybe you have another food intolerance?

Fresh Fruit

lettuce

tomato*** I can't do nightshades including tomato

ground turkey for tacos

Lays stacks *** I wouldn't do Lays Stax chips due to soy.

Homemade chicken salad with fresh chicken I cooked, mayo and mustard gluten free *** I wouldn't use mayo due to soy, unless it is Hellman's canola oil Cholesterol free, made without soy.

peanut butter *** I wouldn't do peanut butter due to soy, unless it is a natural version without soy. Jif has soy in it.

crackers gluten free used to dip peanut butter *** probably wouldn't do the crackers due to soy, most have it.

Taco bell sauce *** out due to soy and tomatoes and peppers (nightshades) and yuck.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Many of the McCormicks seasoning mixes have gluten. I would read that back panel next time you are at the store. The ones that don't have wheat could also be CC'd in the plant. Airborne wheat in those places would be IMHO a danger no matter how well the lines are cleaned. I use their single ingredient spices with no issues but avoid the mixes. You can always use the same single ingredient spices for the taco seasonings. If your not sure what to use just carry a packet over to the spice aisle and match them up.

It sounds like you are pretty familiar with your gluten symptoms and if they include neuro symptoms it is unlikely you have a bug.

All in all there were a lot of places gluten could have snuck in. I hope your feeling better soon.

looking4help Apprentice

This is VERY interesting to me.

Ok, do you get low estrogen right before your cycle? I ask because I had the gluten feelings and then the next day yup got my period.

I have had issues with migraines in the last year and actually that starting me going to the dr. They were so bad I couldn't function. And yes they are triggered by the bright light and this weekend I was sitting on the sidewalk for HOURS with the hot sun beating off the pavement shining in my eyes.

Do you think this was a migraine induced by the gluten?

It sounds like a migraine. I know that these can possibly be caused by gluten but maybe it was something else. Low estrogen levels during a point in my cycle gave me migraines. We know that because we gave me a little estrogen & they went away. Also, bright sun, especially reflecting off water or snow seems to trigger them in me. Fluorescent lights can trigger them. The migraine can give you an upset stomach. Just one more fun thing to think about! :)

looking4help Apprentice

First I don't think you are dumb. I totally get the it was 4th of July thing. I did it on my daughter's graduation weekend. I suffered for an entire week after. UGH

Now, for the Blue Diamond, when cooking with it does it taste the same? Or is there a different flavor?

Rice Dream is processed with barley enzymes and the gluten is trace trace trace but many of us, including me won't use it even if it's only 20 parts per million.

I use almond milk. Blue Diamond is good and when I cook with the original nobody complains. Even mashed potatoes and gravy turn out good with it.

I'm suffering today from eating dairy yesterday. I'm so DUMB since I was already glutened and I knew the stupid dairy would give me a tummy ache but it was 4th of July!!! wahhhhhh!

looking4help Apprentice

Very interesting. What type of testing can I have done to figure out if I have any other type of allergies?

I went in for a skin prick test but because I couldn't breathe to some level in the little machine the tech said she could not do the tests because I could die from not breathing. I have a hernia in my diaphragm that I am convinced causes issues with my breathing.

I want to get allergy testing done so badly but don't know what to ask for.

Thanks!

OK. I am not you, but I'd be sick, sick, sick if I ate what you did.

I am adding notes to your list below of why it would be bad for me. Seems like you have a lot of soy in your list of foods. Also some nightshades that would be a no no for me. Maybe you have another food intolerance?

Fresh Fruit

lettuce

tomato*** I can't do nightshades including tomato

ground turkey for tacos

Lays stacks *** I wouldn't do Lays Stax chips due to soy.

Homemade chicken salad with fresh chicken I cooked, mayo and mustard gluten free *** I wouldn't use mayo due to soy, unless it is Hellman's canola oil Cholesterol free, made without soy.

peanut butter *** I wouldn't do peanut butter due to soy, unless it is a natural version without soy. Jif has soy in it.

crackers gluten free used to dip peanut butter *** probably wouldn't do the crackers due to soy, most have it.

Taco bell sauce *** out due to soy and tomatoes and peppers (nightshades) and yuck.

kareng Grand Master

This is VERY interesting to me.

Ok, do you get low estrogen right before your cycle? I ask because I had the gluten feelings and then the next day yup got my period.

I have had issues with migraines in the last year and actually that starting me going to the dr. They were so bad I couldn't function. And yes they are triggered by the bright light and this weekend I was sitting on the sidewalk for HOURS with the hot sun beating off the pavement shining in my eyes.

Do you think this was a migraine induced by the gluten?

It's something to bring up with your GYN. I took birth control pills. The week you take only sugar & is your period is when I would get the migraines. I switched to a pill with a low dose of estrogen during that week.

Just for a thought but it could be a migraine with nothing to do with gluten. There are a few bad things that have nothing to do with gluten- viruses, dog hair on the furniture, the oil spill, my sense of humor....:)

knittingmonkey Newbie

...few and I do mean a few shreds of sharp cheese...

Thanks!

Did you shred the cheese? Or was it shredded in the package?

Often shredded cheese in packages has a light dusting of gluten, just to keep it free-flowing when taken out of the package. Manufactures often use this trick on frozen foods too.

Archived