Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Trader Joe's gluten-free Pasta

9 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried this? My roommate picked up a package for me. She was grocery shopping and came across it, noticed that it's much cheaper than the stuff I normally buy. It was only $1.99, compared to the almost $4 I normally pay at Whole Foods for pasta.

Ads by Google:

yes, the brown rice pasta, right? Good stuff - just don't over cook...followndirections carefully.

It's the same stuff. I don't know why TJs can sell it so much cheaper. They even have the same name-brand bread I've seen at Whole Foods, but they sell it for 1/2 the cost.

I have had very good luck with this pasta... and it is cheap to boot!

I have had very good luck with this pasta... and it is cheap to boot!

That's great to hear! I haven't been eating pasta much because it's so pricey, and this is definitely more friendly on my budget. :)

Funny you should post this. I JUST found this today. I got Trader Joe's brown rice spaghetti for 1.99 and Trader Joe's "Rice Sticks" Traditional Thai Style Pasta also cheap (I want to say it was 1.29, but that sounds too low, pretty sure it was under $2). The Thai Style pasta looks like linguine or fettuccine and I was thinking about using it in a recipe calling for one of those. I hope these are good because the pasta at every other place I have looked is $5 or more for 8-12 ounces. The brown Rice Spaghetti is 16 oz--a full pound!

I just made the Trader Joe's brown rice rotini for dinner tonight and was pleased. My non-celiac husband thought that is tasted like regular pasta.

It's the same stuff. I don't know why TJs can sell it so much cheaper. They even have the same name-brand bread I've seen at Whole Foods, but they sell it for 1/2 the cost.

Sounds like someone is out to make a profit off us celiacs....hmmmmmmm

I myself rarely use the pastas - instead I grab a potato peeler and take it out on a zucchini - saute with pesto and its awesome.....even use slices in lasagna instead of pasta....mmmmhmmmm!

TJ's rice pasta is pretty good, and can't beat the price.

My trick to making rice pasta edible is to UNDERCOOK IT. Seriously, I cook it for 5 minutes, then run cold water over it while it's in the colander. Reheat briefly in the microwave with a damp paper towel over it, and it is pretty tasty, with a decent consistency. I used it in a casserole yesterday, and cooked it for 4 minutes before adding it to the dish and then baking. Overcooked rice pasta is a close rival for library paste, at least, IMHO. :P

BTW, I also like Mrs. Lepers corn pasta, for folks who can eat corn.