8 replies to this topic

#1 Becksabec

Becksabec

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:41 AM

Has anyone tried this? My roommate picked up a package for me. She was grocery shopping and came across it, noticed that it's much cheaper than the stuff I normally buy. It was only $1.99, compared to the almost $4 I normally pay at Whole Foods for pasta.
~ Becky
Diagnosed Celiac/DH in April 2010.
Gluten and dairy-free since 4/26/10.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:48 AM

yes, the brown rice pasta, right? Good stuff - just don't over cook...followndirections carefully.
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

#3 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:32 AM

It's the same stuff. I don't know why TJs can sell it so much cheaper. They even have the same name-brand bread I've seen at Whole Foods, but they sell it for 1/2 the cost.

#4 summerteeth

summerteeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

I have had very good luck with this pasta... and it is cheap to boot!
Monica

dx celiac disease- November 1, 2008
dairy/casein free (much to my chagrin) for good- September 1, 2010

#5 Becksabec

Becksabec

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:29 PM

I have had very good luck with this pasta... and it is cheap to boot!

That's great to hear! I haven't been eating pasta much because it's so pricey, and this is definitely more friendly on my budget. :)
~ Becky
Diagnosed Celiac/DH in April 2010.
Gluten and dairy-free since 4/26/10.

#6 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:11 PM

Funny you should post this. I JUST found this today. I got Trader Joe's brown rice spaghetti for 1.99 and Trader Joe's "Rice Sticks" Traditional Thai Style Pasta also cheap (I want to say it was 1.29, but that sounds too low, pretty sure it was under $2). The Thai Style pasta looks like linguine or fettuccine and I was thinking about using it in a recipe calling for one of those. I hope these are good because the pasta at every other place I have looked is $5 or more for 8-12 ounces. The brown Rice Spaghetti is 16 oz--a full pound!
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#7 jebby

jebby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

I just made the Trader Joe's brown rice rotini for dinner tonight and was pleased. My non-celiac husband thought that is tasted like regular pasta.

#8 tmbarke

tmbarke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:25 PM

It's the same stuff. I don't know why TJs can sell it so much cheaper. They even have the same name-brand bread I've seen at Whole Foods, but they sell it for 1/2 the cost.

Sounds like someone is out to make a profit off us celiacs....hmmmmmmm
I myself rarely use the pastas - instead I grab a potato peeler and take it out on a zucchini - saute with pesto and its awesome.....even use slices in lasagna instead of pasta....mmmmhmmmm!
Take everything away from me - food, habits...take it all! But don't touch my bacon! You can NOT have my bacon!

#9 BethM55

BethM55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:25 AM

TJ's rice pasta is pretty good, and can't beat the price.

My trick to making rice pasta edible is to UNDERCOOK IT. Seriously, I cook it for 5 minutes, then run cold water over it while it's in the colander. Reheat briefly in the microwave with a damp paper towel over it, and it is pretty tasty, with a decent consistency. I used it in a casserole yesterday, and cooked it for 4 minutes before adding it to the dish and then baking. Overcooked rice pasta is a close rival for library paste, at least, IMHO. :P

BTW, I also like Mrs. Lepers corn pasta, for folks who can eat corn.
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.
Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)
Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: