This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm So Confused...please Help

mamarie

mamarie Rookie

Okay, my gastro doctor doesn't seem to believe in gluten intolerance. Just Celiac. If tests show Celiac, then gluten-free is the way to go. Otherwise, no gluten intolerance. I tested negative to everything except for the gene test. Considering my digestion issues plus the positive gene test, I went gluten free, thinking that perhaps I really am gluten intolerant. My doctor thinks I'm being extreme and ridiculous.

So, two tests showed that I have chronic acid reflux and also bacerial overgrowth in my stomach. The doctor put me on Nexium (which I decided *not* to take) and also an anitibiotic (Xifaxan). I went gluten free two weeks before I started the antibiotics, and was feeling great (no stomach pain after eating or floaty diarreah). I'm about 5 days into the antibiotic, and my stomach pain is back. Really bad. It's making me wonder if the doctor is right, and I'm not gluten intolerant after all. But I'm also wondering if the antibiotic is upsetting my stomach? But it is supposed to be getting rid to the bacteria, so I would think I should only be feeling better. ?????

I'm also taking a probiotic and vitamin D supplements (as I'm vitamin D deficient).

I just don't know what to do. The way I'm feeling lately... it seems that gluten free isn't taking care of my stomach issues. I know for a fact the days my stomach has been hurting, I didn't ingest gluten... I have been at home and been very very careful. Other tests also concluded I wasn't allergic to lactose or fructose, so I don't think that's the issue either.

I'm tempted to forget the whole thing. Maybe my doctor is right.

Edited to say, I've also been exhausted since starting the antibiotics. Like, wanting to sleep a couple hours in the middle of the day. Not like me!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sb2178 Enthusiast

From what I've seen elsewhere, the "die off" from the bacteria can be an awful process. Don't know much about it, but changing your gut flora can definitely affect your overall well being, not just your digestion. What are the side effects of the medication? Some of the antibiotics can be as rough as the disease.

I think the two week diet trial is an indication that you need to stick with the diet for a while longer. At least until you finish the antibiotics and another week or two to recover. Are you taking a probiotic to help recolonize your intestines with good bugs? That may help, as could diet changes, depending on what you eat. There are other well informed people here who can add a lot more. This is just to get you started with a few thoughts!

Wenmin Enthusiast

Antibiotics kill the good and the bad bacteria. When the bacteria begins to grow back, the bad may overtake the good. This is called C-Diff (google this). It is tested simply with a stool sample. Really hard to get rid of. My mother is a transplant patient and has been fighting C-diff since March. She finally got to see a infectious disease doctor and I think we might be on the road to recovery. Her symptoms were really bad stomach cramps, loss of weight (she weighs 115 lbs normal weight), nausea, lethargic, slept for about 19 hours daily, etc.

Wenmin

ravenwoodglass Mentor

One more note to add to what the others said, you did make sure the med is gluten free right? Either the pharmacist or preferably the maker can tell you.

Marz Enthusiast

Antibiotics, especially the strong ones for the GIT always make me feel worse. I get a really sore stomach, like a really "sour" feeling, and d. Just get through them, you need to make sure you finish the course now that you've started. And continue taking probiotics after meds are done to make sure bad bugs don't move back in afterwards. Make sure probiotics are gluten free. I found when I was really sick to my stomach, paw paw ( I think also called papaya) is very soothing to the stomach.

Hope you feel better soon! I felt much better once I finished my antibiotics, but couldn't tell if it was just relief to stop taking them!

Skylark Collaborator

It's almost certainly the antibiotic. Look at the side effects list on Xifaxan. It includes nausea, vomiting, gas, stomach pain, and constipation!

Open Original Shared Link

As far as gluten intolerance, your doctor is the one being "extreme and ridiculous". Celiac disease is a process that starts with gluten sensitivity. Doctors who are very knowledgeable about celiac say they see patients who are definitely not celiac but who feel much better off gluten. The general advice from a good doctor is "if it makes you sick, don't eat it." Just pat your doctor on the head and give the gluten-free diet a good try.

T.H. Community Regular

>>>>I'm also taking a probiotic and vitamin D supplements (as I'm vitamin D deficient).

Did you make sure the probiotic and the vitamin were gluten-free, too? I've seen a number of them that aren't.

And as for your doc - honestly? I really doubt the doc is right. My GI? He gave me tests for celiac and allergies, and then added, "And then I want you to tell us about anything that seems to be bothering you, because the tests don't tell us everything."

That's become my gold standard for doctors. If I have one who remembers that medicine is still evolving and doctors are still learning, and is willing to listen when I tell him there is pain instead of dismissing me if the test doesn't agree with my experience, then I go. If I have one who gets up on high and acts as though medical science knows everything already...that's not a good sign. Especially with Celiac Disease and gluten, since they are finding out new things about it all the time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived