20 replies to this topic

#16 blueshift

blueshift

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:46 AM

I simply tell anyone that I meet that my emotions might get too wrapped up while I am in a lot of company. In that very enjoyment I might accidentally grab something to eat, forgetting to ask the waitress or waiter whether or not soy sauce or teriyaki sauce was used in the cooking..

So I give them a warning that my life is like a hyperbolic curve, coming close but never quite touching many things that others will mingle with..

While dating or sex never interested me that much ( I was too busy nursing my gut or studying the universe), the friends I do have understand my condition enough not to let it bother them.
blueshift

from Chicago suburbs near O'Hare

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Cookie

Cookie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 10:16 AM

This is all good news :)

I feel reassured about my prospects. I think perhaps I was unduly worried about a situation that really isn’t that much of a big deal. It’s just going to take a bit of getting used to!

Many thanks to you all for sharing your experiences :)

#18 westiepaws

westiepaws

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 06:29 PM

Hi! I dated a psychiatrist for a while right as and after I was being diagnosed. Having been schooled in traditional medicine, he initially thought I was being misled and/or was a hypochondriac. UNTIL I showed him the esteemed research citations in the back of the book "Dangerous Grains." (Lancet, NEJM, Gut, AMA, etc., etc.) Then he started keeping almond milk and snacks I could eat at his house for me :) and *sometimes* actually gave my dietary needs a moment's thought before we went places together!

I still ended up dumping him last week for other reasons unrelated to dietary stuff :blink: !

BUT the moral of the story is that as Katie and others said:

*the dietary issues save us time in separating the dating wheat from the dating chaff (pardon the analogy, we can't have the wheat OR the chaff, but you know what I mean!).

and as I would add:

*sometimes a person is okay with the dating issues but still must be dumped for other reasons.

Toodles,

westiepaws

#19 jknnej

jknnej

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 07:13 PM

Who cares HOW you tell someone? Each of our personalities is different. Some of us are very direct and can tell our life stories within minutes of meeting someone; others don't do that.
It doesn't matter how you tell someone as long as you are being yourself.
If they can't handle it or the way I choose to tell it, they won't like me anyway!

#20 VydorScope

VydorScope

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 07:20 PM

If they can't handle it or the way I choose to tell it, they won't like me anyway!

Excellent point! :D

- Vincent -

#21 ShortStuff2309

ShortStuff2309

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 06:20 PM

I was just diagnosed with this and my bf of 2 years was great about it. It's his dad that has me angry. He doesn't believe that's what's wrong with me. As if he even has the right to say that, he has no idea what I've been through! :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: