23 replies to this topic

#1 K8ling

K8ling

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:10 PM

So most of you know the trouble I have encountered with my MiL and the gluten-free/Celiac thing. We are going to their house this weekend and she called today...to tell me that she bought gluten-free bread and bagels for me. I almost fell out of my chair. A woman who asked if it was "my time of the month" because I was balled up on the floor from a glutening, and then purposely CC'd me to see my reaction...was being helpful. I don't know it she googled it, or what, but she was all too willing to be helpful, even going as far as to let me cook dinner Friday night when we get there.

Should I be cautiously optimistic? On guard? Concerned (is she going to poison me?! Put Gluten in my tea in the morning?!)???

I'm not entirely sure how to handle this!
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:17 PM

Sounds like she's been testing you ... maybe you passed the test??? Yes, I really do get sick when I eat that stuff !

#3 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:32 PM

Maybe FIL said something. Maybe she realized she might not see the grandbaby if she doesn't shape up. Maybe she just had fun going to Whole Foods and wants to try the stuff (similiar to my hub). If other family members think she is not a witch, then maybe, she's not. Maybe, she is just confused. I'm 20 years older than you and can say that for some my age and older, cooking for the family is the way we show love. Hopefully, she just needs to adjust.

So K8, I take back what I said about not going. Give her one more chance....but keep one eye open. :)

(oh yea, report back after)

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:37 PM

I'd be cautiously optimistic, on guard, concerned and watch her carefully! (hopefully your FIL got to her)
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#5 precious831

precious831

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:14 PM

So most of you know the trouble I have encountered with my MiL and the gluten-free/Celiac thing. We are going to their house this weekend and she called today...to tell me that she bought gluten-free bread and bagels for me. I almost fell out of my chair. A woman who asked if it was "my time of the month" because I was balled up on the floor from a glutening, and then purposely CC'd me to see my reaction...was being helpful. I don't know it she googled it, or what, but she was all too willing to be helpful, even going as far as to let me cook dinner Friday night when we get there.

Should I be cautiously optimistic? On guard? Concerned (is she going to poison me?! Put Gluten in my tea in the morning?!)???

Sounds like something my MIL would do. I would be cautiously optimistic! I would just be very careful. She sounds like she is not looking out for your interest and would rather prove a point kwim? I can't stand people like that!
Grain-free,dairy-free, soy-free (celiac, possible colitis now as well).
Extremely allergic to shellfish, Aspirin & Ibuprofen

#6 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:34 PM

I just do not trust anyone. I see her buying gluten free bread and rolls, tossing them out and filling the bag with glutened stuff. lol I sure hope I'm wrong!
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#7 RideAllWays

RideAllWays

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:38 PM

I just do not trust anyone. I see her buying gluten free bread and rolls, tossing them out and filling the bag with glutened stuff. lol I sure hope I'm wrong!

AHHH that's horrible!!! Has anything like this actually happened to anybody?

#8 MagpieWrites

MagpieWrites

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:01 PM

AHHH that's horrible!!! Has anything like this actually happened to anybody?

Gluten? Thus far not in my case. However, my mother-in-law got caught rubbing shellfish all over my plate one night while out at a restaurant (deathly allergic) "because she wanted to prove I was just trying to ruin her night out". So... yeah. I'm sure there could be some evil sons of biscuits out there who might try.

Just hoping no one here as any particularly evil family members.
Diagnosed with celiac in the summer of 09 - after being sick since I was a teen with no answers. I miss "real" pasta - but its a fair trade off for getting my life BACK.

#9 torimuse

torimuse

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:38 PM

Gluten? Thus far not in my case. However, my mother-in-law got caught rubbing shellfish all over my plate one night while out at a restaurant (deathly allergic) "because she wanted to prove I was just trying to ruin her night out". So... yeah. I'm sure there could be some evil sons of biscuits out there who might try.

Just hoping no one here as any particularly evil family members.

"Evil sons of biscuits" is starting to sound like a worse insult than the original line. :) Thank you for the unintentional amusement, Magpie.
Self-diagnosed June 7, 2010.
After some dietary experimentation, I'm gluten-free as of June 28, 2010.
Egg free as of July 1, 2010 for elimination diet testing.
Distinct reaction to dairy July 8, 2010.
Going on full elimination diet to rule out all possibilities.
Dairy, soy, nightshade, fish, shellfish, mushroom, peanut, tree nut, and lectins that weren't specified in the above list free as of July 9, 2010.
Strikeouts indicate re-introduced foods that did not generate a reaction.

#10 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:58 AM

that is what i thought of, as well

#11 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

Can you ask her where she purchased them from? I wouldn't trust someone who played a trick the first time. It's too serious to trust to a "toxic" person.
Pretend you have a "gluten" indicator and tell her you're going to bring it along to test the items (I believe there is such a thing). Tell this to her face and see what facial reaction she has......otherwise, I would not trust her to do the right thing.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#12 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:07 PM

Now I'm dying to know what happened? Were the gluten free bread and bagels legit? I would given her another chance if she sounds sincere. Just be cautious.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#13 looking4help

looking4help

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:06 AM

Geeeezz! Such a hard call. The idea of the "gluten indicator" sounds really good! Having a back up supply of food in your suitcase also sounds good!

I know that some of those not so wonderful mother in laws can change after they realize you are the one in determining certain things she wants, such as visits with grandson, HER SON etc. That is how I worked my MIL.

Please do update us!

Magpie, seriously your MIL rubbed shellfish all over your plate? MAN! There are truly evil people in this world!

Now I'm dying to know what happened? Were the gluten free bread and bagels legit? I would given her another chance if she sounds sincere. Just be cautious.

Self Diagnosed April 2010
Gluten Free April 2010

#14 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:11 AM

I'm hoping no news is good news. Or K8 is in jail for strangling her MIL. :)

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#15 looking4help

looking4help

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:15 AM

:blink: We should have set up an alibi story for her! :P

I'm hoping no news is good news. Or K8 is in jail for strangling her MIL. :)

Self Diagnosed April 2010
Gluten Free April 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: