Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Defatted Wheat Germ Gluten Free?

9 posts in this topic

Just curious to know anyone's thoughts/experiences. My doctor prescribed Standard Process Cataplex F tablets (along with other things). I took them for 3 days only as I noticed I felt nauseous after each time I took them. Well, it's a week later and I have been having a very trying week filled with every celiac symptom I've ever experienced. Here's my question. These tablets contain defatted wheat germ. I called my doctor to tell him I was having a reaction. My doctor said these tablets do not contain gluten. Something about how it's processed, etc. I really don't understand. My body says they do contain gluten. Has anyone else had any experience with defatted wheat germ. I have an appointment with him next week and I would like to be armed with knowledge. Here's the other thing - if they are okay, then I've been glutened at home :unsure::angry: It's EXTREMELY frustrating to be made to feel wrong.

Ads by Google:

I looked up defatted wheat germ. Sounds like they extract the oil but the point is to leave the proteins. I think gluten is a wheat protein. I would think these contain gluten. Have you tried to call the manufacturer?

IMHO your doctor is flat out wrong and your body is bearing that out. I would stop taking the tablets immediately.

Think your doc is totally wrong on this one, and wow did I find some fun info to bring back to him!

First, the Standard Process Company has this answer to the fact that they do NOT have a list of products that are gluten free:

"...There are a few reasons Standard Process does not label products "gluten free":

* Grains containing gluten, barley, rye, and wheat, are used in many of our products

* Presently there is no established "gluten-free" standard, but the FDA is in the process of addressing this issue

No two patients have the same sensitivity to gluten; therefore, nutritional counseling should be individualized and potential gluten allergies discussed before a patient takes any Standard Process supplement.

Since this is a complex issue, we encourage you to find out more by visiting relevant websites, such as www.celiac.com, which discusses gluten allergies and safe foods to eat for those sensitive to gluten."

So, let me just say, HA, doc, the company does NOT say this is gluten free! And also get a chuckle because coming here is exactly what you did! :D

If you want more to offer your doc? You can call the company (1-800-558-8740 Their website is: http://www.standardprocess.com/display/router.aspx ), or buy some of the home tests for gluten that are now available on-line and test this stuff.

Here's something that may be tripping up your doc, too - Cataplex F tablets have the defatted wheat germ.

Cataplex F PERLES do NOT have defatted wheat germ.

Maybe the doc has mixed up which is which in his head?

There is also this issue: if you are eating something that is derived from wheat, what does that mean? That it was made by fallible human beings, in a facility and on equipment that is handling this ingredient all day long. What are the odds that there will NEVER be a contamination issue?

Pretty darn good. I'd drop it flat.

And one last nail in the coffin of Standard Process Cataplex F. I was googling to see if I could find any information on this, and came across another person having the same issue with this same product in 2007. You aren't alone, at least.

Sorry your doc is not only incorrect, but responding in a way that makes it seem as though it is YOUR fault. If you have any choice in the matter, I'd hunt down another doctor ASAP.

Think your doc is totally wrong on this one, and wow did I find some fun info to bring back to him!

First, the Standard Process Company has this answer to the fact that they do NOT have a list of products that are gluten free:

"...There are a few reasons Standard Process does not label products "gluten free":

* Grains containing gluten, barley, rye, and wheat, are used in many of our products

* Presently there is no established "gluten-free" standard, but the FDA is in the process of addressing this issue

No two patients have the same sensitivity to gluten; therefore, nutritional counseling should be individualized and potential gluten allergies discussed before a patient takes any Standard Process supplement.

Since this is a complex issue, we encourage you to find out more by visiting relevant websites, such as www.celiac.com, which discusses gluten allergies and safe foods to eat for those sensitive to gluten."

So, let me just say, HA, doc, the company does NOT say this is gluten free! And also get a chuckle because coming here is exactly what you did! :D

If you want more to offer your doc? You can call the company (1-800-558-8740 Their website is: http://www.standardprocess.com/display/router.aspx ), or buy some of the home tests for gluten that are now available on-line and test this stuff.

Here's something that may be tripping up your doc, too - Cataplex F tablets have the defatted wheat germ.

Cataplex F PERLES do NOT have defatted wheat germ.

Maybe the doc has mixed up which is which in his head?

There is also this issue: if you are eating something that is derived from wheat, what does that mean? That it was made by fallible human beings, in a facility and on equipment that is handling this ingredient all day long. What are the odds that there will NEVER be a contamination issue?

Pretty darn good. I'd drop it flat.

And one last nail in the coffin of Standard Process Cataplex F. I was googling to see if I could find any information on this, and came across another person having the same issue with this same product in 2007. You aren't alone, at least.

Sorry your doc is not only incorrect, but responding in a way that makes it seem as though it is YOUR fault. If you have any choice in the matter, I'd hunt down another doctor ASAP.

Wow. Thanks so much for taking the time to find this information. I think I was so surprised/stunned by my doctor's reaction to my phone call (I was incorrect - the Cataplex is gluten free) that I didn't go to the Standard Process website myself. I will call them tomorrow to see what they have to say about it to me while I'm on the phone with them. From the statement on their website, it seems pretty clear that they may or may not contain gluten. :huh: Great.

I called the company this morning and was curtly told that I needed to contact my health care provider. I was informed that Standard Process sends the gluten free status of its products to the health care provider only. I mentioned that their statement on their website regarding the gluten free status of its products was quite ambiguous. The customer service rep said she agreed. I asked what would happen if the information Standard Process sent to my doctor was not entirely accurate. She didn't know. I learned nothing. Except that defatted wheat germ contains gluten. In my case.

I called the company this morning and was curtly told that I needed to contact my health care provider. I was informed that Standard Process sends the gluten free status of its products to the health care provider only. I mentioned that their statement on their website regarding the gluten free status of its products was quite ambiguous. The customer service rep said she agreed. I asked what would happen if the information Standard Process sent to my doctor was not entirely accurate. She didn't know. I learned nothing. Except that defatted wheat germ contains gluten. In my case.

With a response like that I wouldn't used any of their products. Just my opinion but there are plenty of other supplements available and likely at a much lower cost.

I have had problems with Standard Process supplements that contain the defatted wheat germ. Of course the Dr says that there shouldn't be a problem, but if I take it, the symptoms are there, and stop taking it, symptoms resolve. Gone through this 3 times, so now I know for sure and I'm done. I also tried to talk to the company, and they were vague similar to above posts, and referred me back to my Dr. Final word: I cannot take those supplements. And yes, it is very frustrating and demoralizing to have to have these conversations repeatedly with practitioners when they try to say that it works for everyone else, shouldn't be a problem, I don't know why you're having these issues, blah, blah. GO with what the bod is telling you :) It knows.

Doc used applied kinesiology to test the cataplexy B and my body said yes. Read the ingredients after I had opened the bottle (this is a product I had used successfully years ago before I realized my son inherited his gluten sensitivity from me) Since really cleaning up my diet about 5 years ago, getting super serious 2 years ago, I have become super sensitive. So when I saw the wheat germ I added the gluten defense digestive which I keep in the house in case I think I've been cc. I live and work at a boarding school so the food issue can be super challenging. Finding this site has been hugely helpful. I'm currently on medical leave due to extreme anxiety, frightening memory loss, and depression. I've been referred for psychiatric care (taking too many Meds now as far as I am concerned) and a neurologist to explore Alzheimer's and CJD (human form of mad cow disease.) But first I went to this highly regarded chiropractor/homeopath who also thinks I've had false negative tests for Lyme.

Today reading on this site has convinced me it's all gluten! (the Lyme could also easily be correct, I live on a mountain in the woods. Tick city!) calling his office now to discuss the wheat germ issue.