This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Only Celiac In My House

polarbearscooby

polarbearscooby Explorer

Hello all,

I'm the only Celiac living in my house (and I've only got one cousin who has celiac) and I'm feeling kinda lonely.

Every time I think I've over not being allowed to have gluten, it comes back and smacks me in the face and I just wanna cry....

Does anyone else feel like this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

knittingmonkey Newbie

Hello all,

I'm the only Celiac living in my house (and I've only got one cousin who has celiac) and I'm feeling kinda lonely.

Every time I think I've over not being allowed to have gluten, it comes back and smacks me in the face and I just wanna cry....

Sometimes, yes I do.

I learned last night that a really neat sister-in-law passed away suddenly in her sleep. I have time to take off of work, and it's only a 4-hour ride to the memorial. But family members will be getting together to eat... that's when it gets uncomfortable. I fret about how I'm supposed to explain celiac to my father-in-law when he can't even accept that I prefer to use sea salt at home? Mealtimes are the worst, and yet they are the times people are inclined to get together and share. My shared-food/celiac anxieties get to be too much.

Most every day, I take it one day at a time.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

Hello all,

I can relate, right now my children are gluten eaters. I'm in the process of organizing my kitchen and fridge so I don't CC myself. I have had some depression over this and it is worse when I gluten my ownself. What wears me down and scares me is that I'm still in pain everyday. However, I've only been going gluten free for about two months. Can you talk to your cousin or visit? I spoke with someone from my church who has celiac and that made me feel better.

GFinDC Veteran

I felt kind of wimpy for a while, but eventually got over most of that. Now I spit in the face of the gluten eaters patouiee!!! (said with an obnoxcious French accent (ala the Brothers Grimm movie).. Ok, just kidding...! No spittin! :)

But really, it gets to be less of an issue after a while. There's lots of things I can't eat besides gluten, and it is just the way it is. There are plenty of other things I can eat, and they ain't so bad. Life is more than food.

Tina B Apprentice

I felt kind of wimpy for a while, but eventually got over most of that. Now I spit in the face of the gluten eaters patouiee!!! (said with an obnoxcious French accent (ala the Brothers Grimm movie).. Ok, just kidding...! No spittin! :)

But really, it gets to be less of an issue after a while. There's lots of things I can't eat besides gluten, and it is just the way it is. There are plenty of other things I can eat, and they ain't so bad. Life is more than food.

Exactly, it's always hard when it's new. I'm the only one in my house and it isn't even an issue anymore. Any group meals are gluten free and for my own lunches etc. I do my own thing. My sandwiches are on my bread and they make their on their bread. I wouldn't put my bread down an a cutting board that their was lying on but I always just put it on a plate. Everything goes in the dishwasher anyway. They know not to double dip knives in the butter, mayo etc. If we have pasta I use 2 pots and cook mine seperate and just make sure the sauce is gluten free so I don't need to have 2. It comes with time and familiarity.

polarbearscooby Explorer

Thanks for the replies :)

I can IM my cousin but since he's new to this and his wife is going gluten-free with him to support him, he really doesn't get it. It's hard being the one sitting at Sonic eating ice cream and worrying if it'll be ok while everyone enjoys food you used to love.

Sure I feel a lot better. But being different is hard!

I only know one other person with Celiac and she's a teacher of mine, but she's going through a rough time and I don't think she'll be at school this fall...

Weeks like this just wear me down and make me depressed :(

TSC1 Newbie

One time, an in-law made me special chocolates that were excellent with nuts and fruit in them. She then proceeded to put them on a plate for everyone to serve and took graham crackers from a box and clumsily decorated the outer regions of the plate with them. I was horrified and stopped her and stated I needed to remove the desert before she finished decorating the dish. She was almost in tears, and made me feel so guilty by replying that she made them especially with me in mind and I just could just eat around the graham crackers or work around them. I do not think she understood, but I finally just stated to her in a calm voice, please understand I do not want to be sick for the rest of the night, and I am sure you would not want to be resposible for making me sick either. Even crumbs or dust from the graham crackers count as gluten for me. You have to assert yourself even though you may alienate some who will not get sick or who are quite ignorant about the disease.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

One time, an in-law made me special chocolates that were excellent with nuts and fruit in them. She then proceeded to put them on a plate for everyone to serve and took graham crackers from a box and clumsily decorated the outer regions of the plate with them. I was horrified and stopped her and stated I needed to remove the desert before she finished decorating the dish. She was almost in tears, and made me feel so guilty by replying that she made them especially with me in mind and I just could just eat around the graham crackers or work around them. I do not think she understood, but I finally just stated to her in a calm voice, please understand I do not want to be sick for the rest of the night, and I am sure you would not want to be resposible for making me sick either. Even crumbs or dust from the graham crackers count as gluten for me. You have to assert yourself even though you may alienate some who will not get sick or who are quite ignorant about the disease.

I probably wouldn't have eaten them because you don't know that she didn't chop the nuts in the same chopper she ground bread crumbs, cut fruit on a bread cutting board, etc. I might take one and pretend to eat it if I don't see her too often. If you see her a lot and that would encourage her to keep cooking for you, I think you would have to tell her. It gets so tiring having to explain the CC issue. People tend to react like you think they keep a dirty kitchen.

I take my food to events. If I know what is being served, I try to bring something similar. Like I went to a high school banquet & we were having pasta and salad and cookies. I made myself some pasta and put it on paper plate and didn't look too different. A few of the kids asked if I brought it & if it was gluten-free because they know & have travelled with me. Also, around here we have a lot of women who don't eat in order to fit into a size 0. Bringing a salad or not eating isn't thought to be odd.

polarbearscooby Explorer

I think I'm in shock, my best friend in the entire world was just diagnosed with Celiac....

kareng Grand Master

I think I'm in shock, my best friend in the entire world was just diagnosed with Celiac....

Well, you can always agree on where to eat! :P

Really, you can help each other and support each other. I wish I had someone near by that I could do this with.

polarbearscooby Explorer

Well, you can always agree on where to eat! :P

Really, you can help each other and support each other. I wish I had someone near by that I could do this with.

Well actually my best friend lives in PA while I live in KS so we haven't ever actually met :P

This is gonna be really hard for her because her family is not supportive at all

kareng Grand Master

Well actually my best friend lives in PA while I live in KS so we haven't ever actually met :P

This is gonna be really hard for her because her family is not supportive at all

I live in Kansas, too. KC area.

If her doctor talks to them, will they listen? Is she a minor? If so, it could be considered child abuse if they don't take care of her illness.

polarbearscooby Explorer

No they won't her Mom's a pain :P

No she's 19, so she's pretty much gonna be on her own...

Have you found many gluten-free stores in KC

I have to go up there sometimes and I haven't found anything :P

kareng Grand Master

No they won't her Mom's a pain :P

No she's 19, so she's pretty much gonna be on her own...

Have you found many gluten-free stores in KC

I have to go up there sometimes and I haven't found anything :P

Is it OK if I IM you? Would you be in the Overland Park area?

polarbearscooby Explorer

Is it OK if I IM you? Would you be in the Overland Park area?

I think so...

Sure if you want :)

Honeybee11 Newbie

I don't know if i have celiac or not. i was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder recently and think it may be celiac. I have a wheat allergy. when i eat it i feel sick in my stomach, have gas, constipation, hives, and get really tired dand have brain fog. Is that celiac? I've been avoiding wheat for the most part for many years now. i eat it occasionally. now i have really bad headaches and am hallucinating. what do u think?

polarbearscooby Explorer

I don't know if i have celiac or not. i was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder recently and think it may be celiac. I have a wheat allergy. when i eat it i feel sick in my stomach, have gas, constipation, hives, and get really tired dand have brain fog. Is that celiac? I've been avoiding wheat for the most part for many years now. i eat it occasionally. now i have really bad headaches and am hallucinating. what do u think?

I'm not sure, I'm really new to this. I just know my symptoms were major D, gas, constipation, I was really tired, and I was always sick, I had an occasional rash, and suck...

Jen13 Newbie

I know exactly how you feel. I am too the only celiac in my house... in my whole family of that matter (that I know of, but I havent met much of them). It gets very hard, lonely, and very frustrating when it comes to food. No one fully understands this unless they had to go through it. I have been gluten free for about 6 weeks now and it gets harder and harder. Its all in your head though, I just do my own thing and its helping me keep things together. But it is tough. My parents and brothers will just make whatever they want, sit down at the family, and talk about the food. I on the other hand... have to make my own separate stuff which sometimes does not turn out good, or I am always eating at different times than them. I have completely lost my appetite since a little while before I was diagnosed. So it's hard for me to sit down with everyone during meals. It gets so lonely. When your used to eating and always eating with people and all of a sudden everything changes from filling your cabinets and fridge with completely different foods that no one else eats, to not eating with anyone anymore.... it gets so depressing.

I have my own fridge, cabinet (for my own plates, containers, and cooking supplies), and my own pantry. I feel like I am living on my own which would probably be easier if I were then I wouldnt feel so bad about everything. I eat a lot with my boyfriend which helps because I really appreciate his support. He is doing his best to be understanding and he even made me a gluten free cabinet at his apartment. I do feel really bad though because it has been so challenging when we go out for food that there are a lot of places around here.. rochester ny that do not understand or have anything gluten free. I feel like I am holding him back especially when he just moved here to be with me. It does suck... and it makes me very depressed.

Anyway... enough of my blabbing. I hope what I said helps you to know that you are not alone. The way I look at life now being completely gluten free, dairy free, and nut free... it sucks not to do the things that I used to with the people that I used to do it with... but I am not sick or in pain anymore. not being sick for weeks on end.. thats worth it to me.

Keep your head up. try to find a support group around your area. thats what I did. Well best of luck to you! Take care.

<3

Jen

• 8 months later...
Gluten4punishment Newbie

Hello all,

I am newly diagnosed (2 weeks ago) my husband and 2 kids can eat whatever they want, and I am getting so stressed about things I am not allowed. it's not fair! they say this disease is genetic, but idk anyone in my family to have it. both of my parents are deceased, so I can't ask them, and I have 5 brothers & sisters that don't seem to have it. I told them to be tested, but they told me they are fine and dont have celiac. ok whatever. I just feel so alone!

majones Newbie

I think so...

Sure if you want :)

Wait, two fellow gluten-free people in the Overland Park area?!

I'm not alone. (=

Any advice for the KS gluten living?

majones Newbie

Hello all,

I'm the only Celiac in my house and I only have one cousin who has it also. She is not really close to me, though and her mom has been the only one to help so far.

Every time I think I've gotten over it, it smacks me too.

I'm not copying you, I just understand you completely!

It's only been gluten free a month and a half and I'm already losing it from this roller coaster. How am I suppose to last a lifetime?

**cyber hug from someone who understands!**

Archived