3 replies to this topic

#1 boysmom

boysmom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:42 AM

A friend has been using Shakeology http://beachbodycoac...ome/rhondacoble and has had great results. I looked over the ingredient list some time ago and saw wheat grass, barley grass, and oat grass and ruled it out as possible safe product for me. Today it was pointed out to me that this label also says it is gluten-free. Does anyone know anything about this protein shake?? I guess my concern is whether it is really gluen *free* or whether it's just 'gluten-free' by legal standards and will still be causing low-level glutening? I realize the protein we're avoiding is in the grain, I'm just not sure how they can be sure there isn't still a small amount of cross-contamination in the grasses they're using. Can anyone clear this up for me please?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:11 AM

A friend has been using Shakeology http://beachbodycoac...ome/rhondacoble and has had great results. I looked over the ingredient list some time ago and saw wheat grass, barley grass, and oat grass and ruled it out as possible safe product for me. Today it was pointed out to me that this label also says it is gluten-free. Does anyone know anything about this protein shake?? I guess my concern is whether it is really gluen *free* or whether it's just 'gluten-free' by legal standards and will still be causing low-level glutening? I realize the protein we're avoiding is in the grain, I'm just not sure how they can be sure there isn't still a small amount of cross-contamination in the grasses they're using. Can anyone clear this up for me please?

I don't know anything about that company, but I have read on here of people reacting to wheat grass in vitamins that were labeled gluten free. IMO, those shakes would not be safe at all even if they say they are "gluten free".
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#3 hermitgirl

hermitgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:37 PM

I can tell you that Shakeology made me violently ill. I only used half the packed of powder. I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole after how sick it made me. I had never had such an intense reaction before, but had the same thing the last time I was glutened a few weeks ago.

#4 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:32 AM

I personally don't eat any of the gluten grain grasses, even though they are supposed to be gluten free they make equally as sick. Plus, they are cheap filler ingredients - humans aren't supposed to eat grass ;)
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: