This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Emotional Symptoms

aldea-muchacha

badcasper Explorer

I meant to say I've been off the pill for a month. I think it is a double whammy. Thankyou! I still have six months on my Rx if i decide to go back on the pill.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

knitty kitty Grand Master

Bad Casper, I understand how you feel. I posted earlier about anticholinergic drugs and nightshade, but I also react to anything dairy. Gluten and dairy have similarly shaped proteins that clog up receptors in the brain.

When I have dairy, I become very emotionally upset. It's like Veruca Salt (from Willy Winka and the Chocolate Factory with Gene Wilder) throwing tantrums if she doesn't get what she wants right now!!! It does get so difficult to cope that I have to be alone.

After years of being undiagnosed Celiac, I was diagnosed as a variety of crazy. But I was really suffering from vitamin deficiencies. I was extremely low on vitamin D, and B vitamins. I supplement Omega 3's as well. Your brain is starvin, lashing out for help. Feed it!

kareng Grand Master

Casper - this may be more than a small glutening. You need to see a doctor RIGHT NOW! Call 911 or go to the nearest large hospital Emergency room and tell them what you are thinking inside. At least call the number Cycles gave you or your regular doctor.

I wrote a reply but its not here so im trying again. I probably couldn't see the right button for all the tears in my eyes. It's been 5 days now and im still going back and forth from tears to extreme anger and cusing. My parents always said it was cause im stupid so that doesn't help.my imaginary friend who I've had since I was 3 becomes my worst enemy and makes me want to die!!!!! My imaginary friend stays on the inside and has always. Its the worst feeling ever when you can't get away from yourself. Last night I wondered if a person would die if they put a shock light to their heart [its like a tazer]. I walked around for hours till I was exhausted so I could go to sleep. and so I wouldn't disturb my neighbors and get evicted. I've nothing but cry all morning. tomorrow my birthday and ill be 50 right now I don't want to do anything but be alone.

badcasper Explorer

cyclinglady: Thankyou! Apparently my biggest problem is being alone. since my divorce 15 years ago i haven't trusted anyone or made any friends. I live alone and guess im very lonely. Work is awkward, im the only girl in the plant and the guys are into drinking and things I don't do. I tried the sublingual b-12 it helped. And I bought a parakeet for my birthday [some one to talk to]. i feel much better now.

badcasper Explorer

I have been taking super B-complex and vitamin D but with glutening I don,t think my body was absorbing it. I went to the health food store and bought sublingual B-12 and gluten-zyme [ an enzyme that breaks down the gluten because our stomachs cant. it helps. Mabey I should take more vit D

badcasper Explorer

I've been making a cake every week that is delicious, gluten free, and soy free. I was so mad I threw it away. Then things got worse! did I spoil myself or was that really mean.

badcasper Explorer

To knitty kitty  OMG I just looked up nightshades and that's it spaghetti sauce!  I thought night shades were just potatoes.  I have arthritis too and read about a list of foods I shouldn't eat years ago [ tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers]  I didn't know that tobacco was one too.  I quit smoking 5 months ago and it seemed unusually too easy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

badcasper Explorer

please don't freak out on that poem  I wrote it 10 years ago when I was going through a bad divorce.  I also wrote another one about a month after being gluten free.   I guess its my own kinda therapy and my imaginary friend may very well be a guardian angel.   HE DOES MORE GOOD THAN HARM.  WHATCHA DOIN IN MY HEAD, WHATS WITH ALL THAT STUFF YOU SAID.  ALL YOU WANT TO DO IS PLAY, WOULD YOU, COULD YOU, WANT TO STAY. IF YOU WAS TO LEAVE ME NOW, WHO WOULD EVER SHOW ME HOW.  HOW TO LAUGH AND HOW TO LIVE.  HOW TO LOVE AND HOW TO GIVE.  WHO WOULD HELP ME UNDERSTAND, THIERS NO ONE ELSE TO HOLD MY HAND.  NO ONE ELSE I'LL EVER TRUST, YOU HAVE TO STAY, YOU REALLY MUST. YOU'VE BEEN WITH ME SINCE I WAS 3, YOUR MORE THAN JUST A PART OF ME. I NEED YOU WITH ME Everyday. everyday until I die, cause I love you and that's no lie!  I guess the gluten -enzyme helps a lot cause I feel 100% ok again  don't know if I ever will trust anyone again to share my life with but my happiness is my priority

cyclinglady Grand Master

Glad to hear that!  I was worried!   :unsure:

Happy to hear about your parakeet.  What's his name?    

badcasper Explorer

her name is sweetie bird

cyclinglady Grand Master

My Grandma's parakeet could say about 20 words or sayings! He would come when called just like a dog. it was amazing. We always laughed when Lucky said, "Wanna a beer?" My advice Is to avoid a mirror in the cage. Let her bond to you! Save a mirror for an occasional treat. A bit off topic In this section of the forum, so I will quit!

badcasper Explorer

That is funny.  I did take the mirror out.

anniris Newbie

It took a while for me to make the connection, since I don't have any intestinal issues. However, for a long time, I noticed that eating wheat made me very tired and lethargic within in 20 minutes of having it, so I stopped it. At that time, I continued to have bread only Once a week for dinner... but then about 12 hours later, I would start to cry and get very emotional.  I would not call the emotional component "depression" but more like "feeling blue."  and very remorseful. This lasted over a year before I came to the realization that it was the gluten "talking." or rather I should say "crying."    So now that it's been confirmed (thanks to all your comments and my own observations) I stay clear away from gluten (and this includes oats, quinoa and spelt) since even one small taste of gluten triggers this response.  

• 2 weeks later...
Patt Explorer

Yup. you're lucky its only for  a few hours. it takes me around 4-5 days to calm the f**k down. then it takes another while just to be happy again

a vitamin b supplement makes the world of difference for me. Hopefully it helps speed up my last contamination :/

across Contributor

So interesting and helpful!

Does anyone get emotional/mood symptoms after foods OTHER THAN GLUTEN that you cannot tolerate?

Mentally speaking, dairy does almost the exact same thing to me that gluten does.

• 1 month later...
Zebra007 Contributor

I attended a house warming pool party a while ago at my daughter's house,  and she had invited a lot of her new friends along, but what I remember about the short time I was there was how rude and anti social I was.  I felt crazy, and probably some people thought I was because I actually refused to shake someones hand, which still makes me cringe with shame to this day. The problem was that I was wearing a lipstick that was full of Gluten and it had sent me batty, literally!!  I had to leave after an hour as I couldn't trust myself to behave well.

I have never experienced anything like that before, it was truly terrible.

• 1 year later...
earthmotherkaia Newbie

I am relieved to have found this forum.  It's helpful to know there are others who have experienced similar emotions & symptoms.   I haven't been formally diagnosed with celiac or gluten sensitivity, but have been observing on my own the effects of wheat and other grains.  I started experiencing grand mal seizures at age 12, and was prescribed anticonvulsants from that point onward. It wasn't until in my thirties I discovered online, after careful tracking of the seizures for several months, that the epilepsy was triggered by the ovulation phase of my menstrual cycle.  By this point I'd been on anticonvulsants for more than two decades, and grown accustomed to the brain fog and depression, and sadly, was coping with it. After a particularly dark phase in my mid-thirties, where I'd attempted to OD on the anticonvulsants  (I was on Dilantin at the time, and my doc would prescribe six months worth at a time. I looked up the lethal dose, and ate every last pill in the bottle; several weeks' dose in one sitting. Boy was I f$#%ing mad the next morning that I woke up!! :(  )  After the failed suicide attempt, I went off pharmaceuticals and switched to medical marijuana for the seizures. 

Fast forward to the present: I am now in my mid-forties, a single parent of an amazing 9-yr old boy. In the last three years, the seizures have resumed monthly, coinciding with the 2 weeks between ovulating and onset of bleeding. I believe it's to do with my body getting ready to shift into menopause, and the associated hormones, perhaps?  I also started to notice, because it was so cyclical, a real hard emotional crash about 7-10 days after the seizure, and figured it was to do with minor bumps to the head from falling, and just a general serotonin depletion while my body and mind would try to recover from these ongoing traumas.  

Has anyone out there read Grain Brain, by Dr. Perlmutter?  If not, I highly recommend it to help connect the dots between gut flora & health, neurological & behavioral symptoms, the emotional trauma that ensues and how they're all linked to grains, gluten and sugar. So many aha moments when I came across that knowledge, and hindsight being 20/20, I can see how I was making seizure recovery worse when reaching for 'comfort foods'.  What a vicious & terrifying cycle to have fallen into!

I know this is a long-winded post, but it's been a very long and confusing journey to have arrived here at this forum. I am relieved to find kindred spirits, it's sad that our pain & suffering is what joins us, but it does give me hope to know I have somewhere to turn for support.  After a very bleak and desperate weekend that was flooded with tears and suicidal fantasies,  I recognize how crucial it is to remain strict with the diet.  A moment of pleasure on the taste buds wreaks havoc on the psyche for days afterwards!! So not worth it!

Thanks for reading~

• 2 weeks later...
GFinDC Veteran

Thanks for sharing EMK.  Quite a few people have reports mental/emotional symptoms from gluten exposure.  I used to get angry for no apparent reason myself.  Trouble sleeping didn't help that either.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and I hope things are better for you now.

cstark Enthusiast

EMK,

I am with you that my neurological symptoms flare up and become more susceptible every two weeks.  It becomes rather monotonous and frustrating because then everybody knows that time of month for me.  I try to hide the symptoms, but sometimes they just say "HI!".  Pbbbt! 

In addition to going to gluten free as this was found to be a HUGE trigger, I had also gotten a saliva analysis done because all the medical doctors I would go to said there's nothing wrong with me. (A saliva analysis is more a naturopathic route for healing.)  Any way, I was tested out for a metal toxicity and female system imbalance.  After doing some research, I had found that the symptoms I was having, even down to the parasite that was found, could be linked to the metal toxicity.  I am about halfway through the regimen I was put on.  I do believe something is working to the positive side.  I have better concentration, less and less brain fog, and hormone are becoming more balanced.  That time of the month is a lot better.  Finding improvement in the cramping, brain fog, and emotional roller coaster.

With the every two weeks thing, I was starting to think it was just me as well, but hang in there.

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}

• 1 year later...
Bellinghamster3 Newbie

Interested in what people's supplements, teas, and or medications etc... are when the emotions overtake you after a gluten spell?  Sounds like many of us go through the same thing after eating gluten.  The symptoms can't be completely avoided and in time they pass, but what have people found make them better?  Thanks!

Ennis-TX Grand Master
5 hours ago, Bellinghamster3 said:

Interested in what people's supplements, teas, and or medications etc... are when the emotions overtake you after a gluten spell?  Sounds like many of us go through the same thing after eating gluten.  The symptoms can't be completely avoided and in time they pass, but what have people found make them better?  Thanks!

Older thread but, I use Liquid Health Energy & Stress and the Neurological Support 1 tbsp each 3 times a day, eat tons of Cocoa nibs and pumpkin seed protein to help with serotonin and melotonin, and take CBD oil when under heavy stress or feel like a panic attack is oncoming.....and some other stuff when it swings to suicidal. Few other coping methods for various other issues but not supplements or medications.

ch88 Collaborator

I am not sure. You might try extra magnesium, omega-3 fatty acids, and a gluten free complete multi-vitamin.

If you are suicidal  you should get help and talk to a doctor about medication.

If the body is short on Niacin, it will convert neurotransmitters into Niacin. I wonder if this has something to do with why some people experience emotional symptoms after eating wheat. 

• 2 weeks later...
Airport Playaobgyn Newbie

Really very interesting post thanks for sharing everyone...

Archived