Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Damn Gluten!

12 posts in this topic

I was doing GREAT!! Haven't had gluten for months! But today, it got me again!! I felt like screaming as soon as I realized my nausea wasn't just a random coincidence...

Now, just a few hours later, I feel like my stomach is being ripped to shreds from the inside out from the pain... I scared my poor mother in law (who is 80 years old, has dementia, and just moved in with us a few days ago)...She was talking to me and I ignored her. All of a sudden I had to run inside, and I felt like I threw up everything I'd eating for the last week!

And guess what... It was from a can of 'supposed to be' gluten-free black eyed peas!! WTF?

I know I am ranting. But my God.!. I have to be in COURT tomorrow!! And Gluten really screws with my mind and my memory.. How am I going to do it??? I can't just call in the morning and say 'Sorry, can't be there, I got health issues that came up in less than a days notice'. I want to hit something!!

Agh! Just venting makes me want to vent more. lol

Good night my fellow Celiacs.. I am so GLAD to know others understand.

<3 you all!

Ads by Google:

Sorry you are feeling so bad, honey. Could it be food poisoning? Just another happy thing to think about. What ever it is, feel better soon.

Try a can o' Red Bull, sometimes it can negate the brain effects and it is gluten free. Can't promise anything though because everyone is different.

Hi Karen,

No, definitely gluten... I don't know how to explain to others (without celiac disease) -- it is just one of those things when you feel it, you know it is gluten.. you know??

:(

I might try that tomorrow, coinkey.. :) Thanks for the advice!

Becci,

I totally understand!! In fact, i just started looking for gluten-free meetings again because it sucks that so many people have NOOOO idea what its like having to deal with this .

And the brain fog I tootally understand. Actually, my sister has the same problem too, but I think I'm more sensitive to gluten. And those b@$t@rd$.. I'm glad people are labeling products, but when you get a bunk label, they should be sued or something. seriously.

And the frustration, when you're just trying to get through your work or court, and bam from out of nowhere like someone pushes the power button on you, man..

I concur about redbull. Caffeine does seem to help with thinking clear - though for me it can make me have to go to the bathroom more, a small price to pay. Activated charcoal also really helps. It seems to absorb the chemicals going to the brain, but it can also act like fiber and makes your poo charcoal black. The best I've found is mint leaves, not the tea water, but the leaves. I just can't eat mint everyday or I would.

Anyway, good luck, and I feel you're pain!

I totally understand that feeling, I can usually tell EXACTLY what got me. It's like a spidey sense. I hope you feel better!! Bananas and chicken broth maybe??

Oh, and watch out for "natural flavors" in products.. what brand did you say they were?.. the flavors are usually msg (not all that bad), but can be derived from corn and wheat gluten without the manufacturers doing all their due inspection..

..and mint is a good temporary fix, especially if you get a package of fresh mint for cooking, it is usually the mild flavored "apple-mint". It just doesn't seem to help with the digestion part, just the brain fog.

Also, about eight or so ounces of yogurt has enough natural phenylalanine to counteract the brain fog, though it takes about an hour to start working, and you'll get withdrawal the next day, similar to caffeine, unless you can eat enough regularly - though again I can't eat that much everyday, although its almost doable with almonds or walnuts, if not a bit expensive.

Thanks to the both of you... As for the redbull, I guess I will try it. Because I am feeling like crapola on a freaking stick!

I need something before I have to deal with this guy.

And it was a brand that had allergen info on it, said only peanuts.. BUT -- I called and found out that a few batches 'accidentally' had wheat gluten put in for flavoring.. !!

Thanks to the both of you... As for the redbull, I guess I will try it. Because I am feeling like crapola on a freaking stick!

I need something before I have to deal with this guy.

And it was a brand that had allergen info on it, said only peanuts.. BUT -- I called and found out that a few batches 'accidentally' had wheat gluten put in for flavoring.. !!

Please do tell us the brand so others don't suffer. Also you need to go to the FDA website and report this. Wheat has to be on the label by FDA regs and allowing a few batches to slip through is just not allowed, a recall needs to be done.

I believe it was Margaret Holmes... I didn't even think when I grabbed the can, because I got sick from some Succotash of theirs before, then a few months later they started putting on the can 'May Contain Wheat Gluten'...

They are labeling TOO late!

So be careful of the black eyed peas!

I sent in a letter to the FDA yesterday about it as well, Raven.