44 replies to this topic

#31 Silly Yak Pete

Silly Yak Pete

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:03 PM

Good point? How does it taste? Anybody found it in long Island NY yet.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:37 PM

I've only tried the pancakes using the new gluten free Bisquick. Delish! I found it in my local Wal-Mart in Waynesboro, PA.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#33 sunnybabi1986

sunnybabi1986

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:17 PM

I made chicken and dumplings the other day (this recipe: http://www.bettycroc...ee-2e273fabab53) and OMG did they turn out good!! Light and fluffy dumplings, perfect comfort dinner anytime. I'm positive that no one would have been able to tell it was gluten free!

The bag that the mix is in (inside the box) is tiny and from what I've heard, you can really only make 2 recipes from a box of the Bisquick. Makes for a pretty expensive meal, I may try to replicate it myself...I have all the ingredients in my fridge anyway :) We'll see. It sure is convenient, though!
Gluten Free since October 2009

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" - Milton Berle

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it."--Lou Holtz

#34 BethJ

BethJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:03 AM

This ain't your mama's Bisquick! In fact, it doesn't resemble the original Bisquick at all. Nor does it have any shortening in it. Every recipe on the box calls for eggs. The main ingredients are rice flour, sugar, leavening, modified potato starch, salt and xanthan gum.

At $3.84 a box (Wal-Mart) I think it's rather expensive considering the cheap ingredients in it. I did buy some but have not tried it yet.

I finally found it today at Publix - $4.19 - and was so excited to bring it home. I knew it wouldn't be exactly like regular Bisquick but I was very disappointed to see shortening isn't even included. We might as well use any of the other gluten-free baking mixes out there if we have to add our own eggs and shortening. I wanted dumplings and there isn't even a dumpling recipe on the box. :rolleyes:
Beth in Florida

Gluten-free since 7/19/08
Alcohol free since 6/28/10

#35 sunnybabi1986

sunnybabi1986

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:32 AM

I finally found it today at Publix - $4.19 - and was so excited to bring it home. I knew it wouldn't be exactly like regular Bisquick but I was very disappointed to see shortening isn't even included. We might as well use any of the other gluten-free baking mixes out there if we have to add our own eggs and shortening. I wanted dumplings and there isn't even a dumpling recipe on the box. :rolleyes:

Hi Beth, you can find many of Bisquick's Gluten free recipes here: http://www.bettycroc...glutenfree.aspx

And you can find all of Betty Crocker's Gluten free recipes here: http://www.bettycroc...rm= Gluten Free
Gluten Free since October 2009

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" - Milton Berle

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it."--Lou Holtz

#36 Dixiebell

Dixiebell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:47 AM

I found it today at kennesaw, GA Walmart for $3.92. Also found gluten-free Hamburger Helper Cheesy Hashbrowns for $1.50
Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.
2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.
Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.
So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!
My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

#37 BethJ

BethJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:54 AM

Hi Beth, you can find many of Bisquick's Gluten free recipes here: http://www.bettycroc...glutenfree.aspx

And you can find all of Betty Crocker's Gluten free recipes here: http://www.bettycroc...rm= Gluten Free

Thank you! For some reason, I kept getting stuck at the regular Bisquick recipe sites. I found the dumping recipe with the Chicken & Dumplings recipe. I can't wait to try it.
Beth in Florida

Gluten-free since 7/19/08
Alcohol free since 6/28/10

#38 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:50 PM

I found gluten free Bisquick and King Arthur gluten free multi-purpose flour at King Sooper (Kroger) in Monument, CO. A bit pricy, but I want to try both products, and did not want to pay shipping for King Arthur. Would like to try Bisquick strawberry shortcakes first....will save the bread mix for when I get to a lower altitude.

#39 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:40 PM

I found it at Kroger's, thought we'd try it. Made biscuits, they were super tasty but at over 4$ a box and it made 9 biscuits-not such a good deal, but good to try ;)

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#40 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

I found it at Wegman's last weekend. It was around $4.79--haven't tried it yet.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#41 Aphreal

Aphreal

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:34 PM

I bought it at HEB in Houston Texas.
Started exhibiting symptoms 1979
DXed IBS 1987
Self Dx Gluten sensitive via elimination diet July 2010
Gluten free since July 12 2010
Carb&Sugar light August 2010
experimenting with being Grain light

#42 ljgs

ljgs

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:21 AM

Found mine at Wegman's in NJ the other day.

#43 Charlie's Girl

Charlie's Girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:29 AM

They have it at several Target's in and around Los Angeles. Haven't tried it tho'. It was in the $4.00 range for a small box.

#44 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:19 PM

I made pizza crust out of it. It was my first pizza in 2 years!!! It was delicious! The recipe is on the side of the box! I have also made the apple pie! It was great! Wonderful product!

#45 halfrunner

halfrunner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:25 PM

I couldn't buy it even if I was willing to pay $4.00 per box. It hasn't shown up anywhere near me. Anyway, here is the link to my version of the gluten-free bisquick thread. Use the regular recipes, not the gluten-free ones, as this version behaves just like the real bisquick and has the butter/shortening in it.

http://www.celiac.co...ype-mix-recipe/
Some people merely follow their dreams. Other people hunt them down and beat them into submission.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: