- - - - -

Cheek Swab Test

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Libbyk_*

Guest_Libbyk_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2004 - 03:06 PM

I was looking at the "whats new" section of the site, and noticed an article on kimble labratories. It said that they had an "accurate" (I assume thats relative, since none of the tests are 100%?) genetic test for celiac disease that is based on a cheek swab. no poop, no blood.

Has anybody heard about this? Tried it?
I am very curious on behalf of my untested but suspicious sister.

Libby

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 03:56 PM

Enterolab does the cheek swab gene test. It uses cells collected from the lining of the cheek and tests the DNA on the cells. They use a genetics lab called Laboratory at Bonfils, in Denver, Colorado. It is fully licensed and accredited and they do testing for many things, including transplants. It is much cheaper to do than the blood gene test, and just as accurate if the lab is a skilled lab. I would think that you would have to be skilled at genetics to be running the tests, since there are not a lot of genetics labs around the country.

I checked them out before ordering the tests for my three children and they are legitimate and seem very skilled at what they do. You can check them out at the link below if you like. I don't know about the other lab you mentioned, but at Enterolab you can do the gene test for around $150.

http://www.labsatbonfils.com/

God bless,
Mariann :)
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#3 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 04:13 PM

I checked out the article and the lab that you mentioned above. It sounds like they do the same genetic test that Laboratory at Bonfils does. Check out this link and it will take you directly to the page that tells you all about the Celiac Gene test. I hope this helps.

http://www.kimballge...iacdisease.html

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: