20 replies to this topic

#16 DBSNJ

DBSNJ

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

We have a rule on this forum, if you are going to tell us some info that isn't widely known, you need to provide some reliable sources to prove it.  I have never seen any reliable source saying that beans, cabbage, turnips and cucumbers have gluten.

Gluten is a protein found in grain which is the seed of a grass type plant.  None of these other foods are even related to wheat, rye or barley.

Please provide your sources.

Wow!! Thanks. I guess I'll just move on since this forum is so touchy. 

If you were to actually read my post, I was not trying to state a fact I was ASKING a question.

I did provide the source of my confusion, all you had to do was a search on the terms I included in my post. If you do that you will see many many definitions with the statement I posted.

I was just trying to get someone to either refute or verify which is correct.

Other posters on this thread stated that the original poster may have misunderstood what he was reading, I am just providing yet again another example of where this same statement is made.

If it is not true or inaccurate that is fine, but the  misleading information is out there in more then one spot, hence my confusion and my question, which I feel is legitimate. 

As I said, I understand this is the internet and therefore thing may be incorrect but there are so many sites with the same statement , it makes you wonder.

That was the point of my post. I never once claimed that either statement was correct or not

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:17 PM

Wow!! Thanks. I guess I'll just move on since this forum is so touchy. 

If you were to actually read my post, I was not trying to state a fact I was ASKING a question.

I did provide the source of my confusion, all you had to do was a search on the terms I included in my post. If you do that you will see many many definitions with the statement I posted.

I was just trying to get someone to either refute or verify which is correct.

Other posters on this thread stated that the original poster may have misunderstood what he was reading, I am just providing yet again another example of where this same statement is made.

If it is not true or inaccurate that is fine, but the  misleading information is out there in more then one spot, hence my confusion and my question, which I feel is legitimate. 

As I said, I understand this is the internet and therefore thing may be incorrect but there are so many sites with the same statement , it makes you wonder.

That was the point of my post. I never once claimed that either statement was correct or not

The original question was from 3 years ago and was answered.  The internet has lots of great info, but I have found no reliable medical or scientific sites that make these claims.  There are sites and blogs and other nonsense on the internet that will tell you how to grow bigger boobs, loose 30 pounds in 3 days, and other stuff.  We like to deal in facts here and not spread any internet falsehoods.  If you have seen this on a reliable site, please let us know.  It is either a new discovery or a mistake on their site that they would want to know about.

Just googled that phrase  - not a single reliable site.  Some sites that look like they have translated to English incorrectly and are trying to give a definition or use that bad definition.

The link I gave is to the University of Chicago Celiac Center.  They have a lot of easy to read info there

Edited by kareng, 24 August 2013 - 04:28 PM.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#18 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:20 PM

well,  I googled that combo of words and got this below and I

sure would like to know who the hell composed THIS stupid

definition

on "dictionary.com"?

source called WordNet.3.0 by Princeton University?? :blink:

check it out. THIS IS SO WRONG!!

http://dictionary.re...luten-free diet

gluten-free diet
noun

diet prescribed to treat celiac disease; eliminates such foods as

wheat and rye and oats and beans and cabbage and turnips and

cucumbers that are rich in gluten

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#19 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

well,  I googled that combo of words and got this below and I
sure would like to know who the hell composed THIS stupid
definition
on "dictionary.com"?
source called WordNet.3.0 by Princeton University?? :blink:

check it out. THIS IS SO WRONG!!
http://dictionary.re...luten-free diet

gluten-free diet

noun

diet prescribed to treat celiac disease; eliminates such foods as
wheat and rye and oats and beans and cabbage and turnips and
cucumbers that are rich in gluten

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.

And who takes their medical advice from an Internet dictionary?

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#20 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

And who take their medical advice from an Internet dictionary?

Some people may, unfortunately. <_< 

I do not............. nor do I recommend that.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#21 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

Well...I went to the Princeton Word net and tried to get gluten free and gluten. It only gives a correct definition for the word gluten ( but not as it applies to a Celiac diet) and no gluten-free diet definition. It may have been fixed since 2006 or even be misquoted. Still more reason to get info from reliable sources.

santa-dance.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: