Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Gluten Free Jerky

13 posts in this topic

I purchased Primal Strips, a Meatless Vegan Jerky product from Primal Spirit Foods. THe package clearly states Gluten Free on it. It lists as an ingredient (Gluten-Free) Soy sauce (Water, Non-GMO Soybeans, Wheat, Sea salt) how can this be listed gluten free. Glad i ate 2 bites before reading this. Anyone else ever had this problem?

Ads by Google:

That's whacky. I'm not familiar with the product but I suspect the labeling is wrong. Can you contact the manufacturer?

That's whacky. I'm not familiar with the product but I suspect the labeling is wrong. Can you contact the manufacturer?

i tried, i left a message. When you look at thier product info, they have removed the gluten-free tag on thier website. And they no longer list wheat in thier soy sauce on the site. as my stomach begins to gurgle.... I am Mad!!!

PrimalSpiritFoods.com

I'm finally that guy, "Help, I've been glutened!" I can joke now kinda, but i know the cramping is probably on the way.

I'm thinking that the company doesn't understand what "gluten-free" means. I don't think I would trust any of their products.

Please let us know if the company contacts you back and let us know what they say.

This is just maddening! I had issues yesterday and took pepto on the advice of someone here and it made me feel so much better! I mean I was still ick but at least I could take my daughter to her dr. appt that had been scheduled for a month.

Hope you feel better quick!

Perhaps it has such a small amount of soy sauce that the gluten content is below the legal ppm limit to be considered a gluten-containing item? Sort of like McDonalds' fries that have wheat but can be called gluten free (not trying to start the Mcdonald's debate up, just using it as an example). That's all I can think of...

I hope you don't get too sick. :( I'd report them to the FDA. That label is illegal and dangerous.

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/ReportaProblem/ConsumerComplaintCoordinators/default.htm

I thought about it. I think i will wait to here from the company and give them a chance to respond. I went back to their web page and looked at their labeling, and they currently do not advertise to be gluten free. They have also removed wheat as an ingredient in their soy sauce. I will wait to here back from them, i saved the package. Maybe i can get some free GLuten free jerkey out of it!

Perhaps it has such a small amount of soy sauce that the gluten content is below the legal ppm limit to be considered a gluten-containing item? Sort of like McDonalds' fries that have wheat but can be called gluten free (not trying to start the Mcdonald's debate up, just using it as an example). That's all I can think of...

I suspect you are right. But i do wonder why on the web page it is no longer listed as gluten free. I will know soon enough. It's been about 7 hours since the incident and this is where i usually start getting the bad pain. So far nothing too unusual.

Please let us know if the company contacts you back and let us know what they say.

This is just maddening! I had issues yesterday and took pepto on the advice of someone here and it made me feel so much better! I mean I was still ick but at least I could take my daughter to her dr. appt that had been scheduled for a month.

Hope you feel better quick!

Nothing too bad at the moment. A little dizzy and my favorite, GAS!. But no major cramps yet! I really appreciate the genuine concern, and love coming on here for help. What a battle we face dailly just trying to live normal lives.

I will certainly update as soon as i here from the company. I have left them emails on both the company website and their facebook page. Voicemail too.

God bless

-Bryan

Thanks for pointing this out Bryan. It does always pay to check the ingredients, even if they do put gluten free on the front label. Some companies have no clue it seems.

THey called me back and said that they have removed the wheat from the Soy suace even though they have had it tested for Gluten. She claimed they had a process that removes the gluten from the wheat during fermentation.

They however do not list their product as gluten free but say that it is. ?

I will say it was deeelicousss!