11 replies to this topic

#1 Coolclimates

Coolclimates

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:17 AM

I've read some of the other threads about needing to pee a lot during the night. I've always had this problem, too. However, in the last few nights, I've been peeing excessively. I have a bed pot (so I don't have to walk to the bathroom) and last night I peed 1 1/2 quarts (6 cups). A few nights ago, I peed nearly 2 quarts (8 cups). The weird thing is I just returned home after a trip abroad to Iceland, Finland and Estonia. There, I encountered few problems and slept well most of the nights. But now that I'm back, I'm just constantly waking up and having to pee a lot.
I haven't been drinking excessive amounts of liquids (in fact, I probably don't drink enough liquid), so this is really puzzling. I've been on the gluten-free diet for 2 1/2 months, but this issue has never gotten to this extent until now. Also, I'm having a lot of breast pain (and it's not right before my period) in the last week. Each day it seems to get worse. I have no idea what's going on with me right now.
Fortunately, I will see a GI on Tuesday and maybe she will have some ideas. I welcome anyone's imput on this.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:23 AM

Did you have a fun trip?

Maybe you eat more salt/sodium at home. Could be retaining water and then during the night "unretaining" . Might explain breast pain, too. Right at the beginning of pregnancy you tend to pee a lot and have breast pain. Maybe you had too much fun on your trip. :P

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 Coolclimates

Coolclimates

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:45 AM

Did you have a fun trip?

Maybe you eat more salt/sodium at home. Could be retaining water and then during the night "unretaining" . Might explain breast pain, too. Right at the beginning of pregnancy you tend to pee a lot and have breast pain. Maybe you had too much fun on your trip. :P

I had a great time on my trip. There is no way that I'm pregnant (I've not been dating anyone for nearly 2 years) so I can rule that out. Also, I've been tested for diabetes several times and all the tests have come back negative.

I did notice when I got back I had gained about 3-4 pounds. But now I seem to be losing some of that weight (1-2 pounds lost) since returning. I do think that there is probably a lot of excess fluid in my breasts right now. They seem larger than usual.
This is all so strange...

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:52 AM

I did notice when I got back I had gained about 3-4 pounds. But now I seem to be losing some of that weight (1-2 pounds lost) since returning. I do think that there is probably a lot of excess fluid in my breasts right now. They seem larger than usual.
This is all so strange...

Sounds like fluid retention. Bigger boobs wouldn't be bad if they didn't hurt. Maybe a hormone issue, too? They can get off kilter at any age.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 missceliac2010

missceliac2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:32 AM

I am just reading your post tonight and wondering if the GI doctor had anything good to say? How upsetting! It sounds like fluid retention but then at night its almost like you're taking a diuretic! Strange?!

Well, I hope you found an answer. Do tell!

:)

I welcome anyone's imput on this.

Heather C.
July, 2010: Diagnosed with Celiac Disease via elimination diet and strong Lactose Intolerance via blood work. My symptoms of glutening include 1. extreme abdominal distention, 2. severe abdominal pain, 3. gas, 4. mood swings/generally negative and unpleasant to be around!

#6 Coolclimates

Coolclimates

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:23 AM

the GI thinks that it's fluid retention from my recent trip overseas. I'm not peeing so much now at night. However, I do wake up several times still :(
I'm seeing another doc today about the sore breasts.
The GI I saw thinks that my Celiac is mild and that many of my symptoms (fatigue, insomnia, restless legs, acid reflux, yeast infections, sinus pressure, depression ,anxiety, bruising, frequent nose bleeds, etc) are not related to my Celiac and may not go away. I don't necessarly agree with her about this. I mean, some of these things probably won't go away, but I'm sure that some must be related to my Celiac!

#7 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:13 PM

Honestly, what you write is a lot of classic pregnancy symptoms. Assuming you know you can't be pregnant, I would consider seeing an endocrinologist, to check on what the hormones are doing.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#8 Tina B

Tina B

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:22 PM

I've read some of the other threads about needing to pee a lot during the night. I've always had this problem, too. However, in the last few nights, I've been peeing excessively. I have a bed pot (so I don't have to walk to the bathroom) and last night I peed 1 1/2 quarts (6 cups). A few nights ago, I peed nearly 2 quarts (8 cups). The weird thing is I just returned home after a trip abroad to Iceland, Finland and Estonia. There, I encountered few problems and slept well most of the nights. But now that I'm back, I'm just constantly waking up and having to pee a lot.
I haven't been drinking excessive amounts of liquids (in fact, I probably don't drink enough liquid), so this is really puzzling. I've been on the gluten-free diet for 2 1/2 months, but this issue has never gotten to this extent until now. Also, I'm having a lot of breast pain (and it's not right before my period) in the last week. Each day it seems to get worse. I have no idea what's going on with me right now.
Fortunately, I will see a GI on Tuesday and maybe she will have some ideas. I welcome anyone's imput on this.

Excessive urination can be a symptom of diabetes.
Gluten free since 1990.
Diagnosed by duodenal biopsy.

You don't stop skiing because you get old. You get old because you stop skiing :-)

#9 Coolclimates

Coolclimates

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:27 PM

I just got blood tested for diabetes today. I've had several diabetes tests in the past, all have come out negative. Fortunately, I've been peeing much less at night now. But the sore breasts aren't going away. I've also been scheduled to do a follow up sonogram (I had one back in April for the same reason). Some fibroids were found in my left breast but the doctors assured me that they were harmless.

#10 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:14 PM

I just got blood tested for diabetes today. I've had several diabetes tests in the past, all have come out negative. Fortunately, I've been peeing much less at night now. But the sore breasts aren't going away. I've also been scheduled to do a follow up sonogram (I had one back in April for the same reason). Some fibroids were found in my left breast but the doctors assured me that they were harmless.

Hey! Get the doc to explain why they think they are "fibroids" and nothing more serious. If the explanation isn't complete, keep asking or take the x-rays for a second opinion. I'm a little older (ok a lot) than you but I know many women and a man who's concerns were pushed aside the first time and should not have been. I don't want to scare you needlessly, but I want you to be treated if needed. Keep me informed.

santa-dance.gif

#11 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:02 AM

FYI to anyone reading this:
It's better to know your numbers and not just accept "negative". Diabetes/blood sugar issues are a spectrum. Know where you fall on that spectrum. A fasting blood sugar is not a good indication of overall blood sugar. My fasting BG can be within the normal range and it was on testing day. I was DX by the OGTT, and my BG went up so high so fast I was shaking uncontrollably the first half hour. If the doc. had gone by fasting blood sugar only, I would have gone undiagnosed. Any one-time blood sugar check is not a good measure. An A1C-a measure of average blood sugar is better.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#12 Coolclimates

Coolclimates

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:43 PM

Well, yesterday I got a call and was told that I have a urinary tract infection. I said that I didn't notice a lot of pain when passing urine, but they said that wasn't always a symptom. i've also had a hard time emptying completely, which is another symptom of a UTI. Anyhow, I'm on medication now and the peeing has gotten much better under control.
I was spotting a little today and had slight cramps, so I may just be starting my period early this month. My last one started July 3, so it's only been 20 days since the last one started. But I know that some women have menstrual irregularities as a symptom of Celiac? Most of my periods are very evenly spaced out, but occasionally they come really early or late.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: