4 replies to this topic

#1 Spartans1960

Spartans1960

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:23 PM

Greetings everyone, I am sure some of you have a very good meatball recipe to serve with spagetti, and, that does not fall apart, and stays firm but not soggy. I have used breadcrumbs, too mushy, rice, but have to mash, and also vegetables, but changes taste. Any advice or tips, Doug

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:38 PM

Greetings everyone, I am sure some of you have a very good meatball recipe to serve with spagetti, and, that does not fall apart, and stays firm but not soggy. I have used breadcrumbs, too mushy, rice, but have to mash, and also vegetables, but changes taste. Any advice or tips, Doug

Have you tried dried breadcrumbs and egg? I make dried breadcrumbs out of my bread failures :P
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

Gluten Free Meatballs

The main recipe for meatballs calls for bread crumbs. We make these from Glutino Fiber Bread, but other gluten-free breads should work equally well. It is best for this purpose when it has been defrosted for at least a day, or that fresh bread is at least a day old. Tear it into pieces and then use the pulse setting on a blender or food processor until the desired consistency is achieved. Unused crumbs can be placed in a sealed container and stored in the freezer. If measuring frozen crumbs for a recipe, allow extra. We find 1 1/4 cups of frozen defrosts to about 1 cup.

Hmm, maybe this should be a secret recipe. It has eleven four different herbs and spices. :lol:

Preheat oven to 400F (200C)
15x10 inch pan, lightly greased (or use PAM)

1 1/2 lbs extra lean ground beef (750g)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup gluten-free bread crumbs (see above) (250 ml)
1 tbsp dried parsley flakes (15 ml)
1 tbsp dried basil (15 ml)
1 tbsp dried oregano (15 ml)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper (1 ml)

You can use fresh instead of dried herbs by doubling the measure, that is, 2 tbsp or 30 ml.

In a large bowl, gently mix together beef, egg, bread crumbs, parsley, basil, oregano and ground pepper. Shape into 1 inch balls. Place in single layer on prepared pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center.

To Freeze: Cool slightly then freeze baked meatballs on the jelly roll pan. Once frozen, remove from the pan and place in a heavy-duty freezer bag. They won't stick together. Remove as needed and add directly to sauce, or microwave until just thawed before adding to sauce.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Tina B

Tina B

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:27 PM

The best gluten-free breadcrumbs I've used are Aleia's. They are dry and have italian seasonings just like regular ones. When used for chicken parmesan they brown nicely. They come in a resealable plastic container. They also do not contain soy. It is a Connecticut company.

http://www.aleias.com/
Gluten free since 1990.
Diagnosed by duodenal biopsy.

You don't stop skiing because you get old. You get old because you stop skiing :-)

#5 Roda

Roda

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:55 AM

I make this bread and dry it in the oven to make bread crumbs. I use them in place of regular ones in my meatball recipe. I find I do use less gluten free crumbs. http://www.celiac.co..._1

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: