Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Any gluten-free Hot Dogs In Canada?

11 posts in this topic

Just trying to scrounge up info here....does anyone know of any hot dogs sold anywhere in Canada that positively, 100%, are gluten-free? Not "may contain wheat" or anything vague like that? I've had a look at various brands sold in stores here in Nova Scotia, and I'm yet to find something that's 100% safe.

It's so frustrating, because so many hot dogs in the USA are safe, but not sold here.

Ads by Google:

No, I don't believe that there are any that are "positively, 100%" gluten-free, because I don't know of any manufacturer in Canada that actually tests ingredients or the finished product for gluten content.

I haven't bought hot dogs in quite a while, but IIRC, Maple Leaf had some that were free of gluten ingredients and made on dedicated lines.

I get some from Nature's Fair market, a health food store. They have chicken, turkey, beef and buffalo, and they are marked gluten free.

Safeway carries European weinders (Freybe I think) that are labelled gluten-free, think I found them at Sobey's as well.

Costco also carries hot dogs in the big coolers next to the Freybe gluten-free sliced ham...labelled gluten-free but not sure if they are Freybe or not.

There is a brand that we can get at Wal Mart, Harvest they have no wheat. Also I use Lilydale turkey dogs, they are just like reg hotdogs. Freybe and Grimms have lots of gluten and lactose free products.

Good luck.

There are two types at Costco. Piller's European Weiners and Ballpark. Thanks Costco :)

I was checking out the Maple Leaf Top Dogs recently and noticed the low sodium Top Dogs did not have Wheat listed like all the others did. I know another lady with Celiac in town who eats them all the time and doesn't react.

I was checking out the Maple Leaf Top Dogs recently and noticed the low sodium Top Dogs did not have Wheat listed like all the others did. I know another lady with Celiac in town who eats them all the time and doesn't react.

All the Maple Leaf labels I've read say "may contain wheat"

President's Choice hot dogs are gluten free.

Butterball Turkey Franks are gluten free. According to their website:

Specifically, gluten is not present naturally in turkey. Only two of our retail products currently contain gluten: Butterball

Just trying to scrounge up info here....does anyone know of any hot dogs sold anywhere in Canada that positively, 100%, are gluten-free? Not "may contain wheat" or anything vague like that? I've had a look at various brands sold in stores here in Nova Scotia, and I'm yet to find something that's 100% safe.

It's so frustrating, because so many hot dogs in the USA are safe, but not sold here.

Harvest hotdogs, and harvest bison hotdogs. Made here in Saskatchewan.