10 replies to this topic

#1 canadave

canadave

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:48 PM

Just trying to scrounge up info here....does anyone know of any hot dogs sold anywhere in Canada that positively, 100%, are gluten-free? Not "may contain wheat" or anything vague like that? I've had a look at various brands sold in stores here in Nova Scotia, and I'm yet to find something that's 100% safe.

It's so frustrating, because so many hot dogs in the USA are safe, but not sold here.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:50 PM

No, I don't believe that there are any that are "positively, 100%" gluten-free, because I don't know of any manufacturer in Canada that actually tests ingredients or the finished product for gluten content.

I haven't bought hot dogs in quite a while, but IIRC, Maple Leaf had some that were free of gluten ingredients and made on dedicated lines.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 RideAllWays

RideAllWays

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

I get some from Nature's Fair market, a health food store. They have chicken, turkey, beef and buffalo, and they are marked gluten free.

#4 NorthernElf

NorthernElf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:52 AM

Safeway carries European weinders (Freybe I think) that are labelled gluten-free, think I found them at Sobey's as well.

Costco also carries hot dogs in the big coolers next to the Freybe gluten-free sliced ham...labelled gluten-free but not sure if they are Freybe or not.

#5 sandiz

sandiz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:03 PM

There is a brand that we can get at Wal Mart, Harvest they have no wheat. Also I use Lilydale turkey dogs, they are just like reg hotdogs. Freybe and Grimms have lots of gluten and lactose free products.
Good luck.

#6 aliveat25

aliveat25

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:11 AM

There are two types at Costco. Piller's European Weiners and Ballpark. Thanks Costco :)

#7 kaiess

kaiess

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:00 AM

I was checking out the Maple Leaf Top Dogs recently and noticed the low sodium Top Dogs did not have Wheat listed like all the others did. I know another lady with Celiac in town who eats them all the time and doesn't react.

#8 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:09 PM

I was checking out the Maple Leaf Top Dogs recently and noticed the low sodium Top Dogs did not have Wheat listed like all the others did. I know another lady with Celiac in town who eats them all the time and doesn't react.

All the Maple Leaf labels I've read say "may contain wheat"

#9 rainer83

rainer83

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:54 PM

President's Choice hot dogs are gluten free.
Diagnosed by a Naturopath by an elimination diet, gluten free 2 years, finally able to live again after years of suffering.

#10 Poppi

Poppi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:53 PM

Butterball Turkey Franks are gluten free. According to their website:

Specifically, gluten is not present naturally in turkey. Only two of our retail products currently contain gluten: Butterball® Frozen Italian Style Meatballs and Butterbll® Frozen Stuffed Turkey.

I've eaten them several times and been fine.

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

#11 num1habsfan

num1habsfan

Prairie field, possibly the best picture I've taken!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:18 PM

Just trying to scrounge up info here....does anyone know of any hot dogs sold anywhere in Canada that positively, 100%, are gluten-free? Not "may contain wheat" or anything vague like that? I've had a look at various brands sold in stores here in Nova Scotia, and I'm yet to find something that's 100% safe.

It's so frustrating, because so many hot dogs in the USA are safe, but not sold here.

Harvest hotdogs, and harvest bison hotdogs. Made here in Saskatchewan.

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...
...26 years old...
...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: