This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gall Bladder Issues?

looking4help

looking4help Apprentice

Sorry for the graphic descriptions!

I need some help! I don't know what is going on and need help on what to say to dr.

Just to recap really quick:

• went to ER Nov 08 and hospitalized for diverticulitis
  • Jan thru March 2010 Had every type of CT scan that could be done Hidas all of it. All normal.
  • Had horrible pain in left side start up again Aug 09 was told it was diverticulitis again put on antibiotics
  • Continued pain and went downhill fast, lost weight, bad DH, vomiting, brain fog, migraines etc
  • was finally sent to 1st GI dr. did a colonoscopy March 2010
  • one week later was getting endoscopy b/c I pushed for celiac testing results came back abnormal cells was told by the assistant dr: hey if diet works for you then sure try it, in the meantime go see this surgeon, I pushed the issue more and was told that I have acid reflux and the beginning of ulcers, I was also told I had internal hemorrhoids and not to be alarmed if I pooed blood WHAT??? then I basically was left to cry FIRED this GI
  • Went gluten free April 2010
  • Hired 2nd GI April 2010 did a bunch of bloodwork and sent me to OBGYN to rule out endometreosis
  • I have now have laproscopy scheduled for Aug 3 as well as a new procedure called Novasure

Here is my problem for 2 days now. I am back to pooing black and I mean BLACK sometimes sludge like, sometimes really sandy, gritty poo with LOTS of mucus. I have spasms under my right rib cage where I think??? the gall bladder is located. Tonight not only was there black poo but now there is red blood in it. (Maybe that is from my external hemorrhoids? The amount of poo is a LOT too! I know I am not eating that much! In fact I have lost more weight. My abdomen feels VERY empty now too. It had been really swollen and hard with trapped gas EVERY day but not so much gas anymore. In fact I have been quite relieved with the elimination of the horrible gas and pain it caused.

My diet is very simple as I am eliminating. No gluten, dairy, milk, or soy. Basic veggies (fresh) and simple prepared meat like thin, beef but mostly just chicken prepared with only a little salt/pepper and olive oil. Sometimes a little brown rice or mashed potatoes. Very bland and boring diet.

Isn't black poo a sign of internal bleeding? Am I panicing now? Do I need to call the dr and if so which one? OB, family, or GI?

Thank you all for your help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

K8ling Enthusiast

Sorry for the graphic descriptions!

I need some help! I don't know what is going on and need help on what to say to dr.

Just to recap really quick:

• went to ER Nov 08 and hospitalized for diverticulitis
  • Jan thru March 2010 Had every type of CT scan that could be done Hidas all of it. All normal.
  • Had horrible pain in left side start up again Aug 09 was told it was diverticulitis again put on antibiotics
  • Continued pain and went downhill fast, lost weight, bad DH, vomiting, brain fog, migraines etc
  • was finally sent to 1st GI dr. did a colonoscopy March 2010
  • one week later was getting endoscopy b/c I pushed for celiac testing results came back abnormal cells was told by the assistant dr: hey if diet works for you then sure try it, in the meantime go see this surgeon, I pushed the issue more and was told that I have acid reflux and the beginning of ulcers, I was also told I had internal hemorrhoids and not to be alarmed if I pooed blood WHAT??? then I basically was left to cry FIRED this GI
  • Went gluten free April 2010
  • Hired 2nd GI April 2010 did a bunch of bloodwork and sent me to OBGYN to rule out endometreosis
  • I have now have laproscopy scheduled for Aug 3 as well as a new procedure called Novasure

Here is my problem for 2 days now. I am back to pooing black and I mean BLACK sometimes sludge like, sometimes really sandy, gritty poo with LOTS of mucus. I have spasms under my right rib cage where I think??? the gall bladder is located. Tonight not only was there black poo but now there is red blood in it. (Maybe that is from my external hemorrhoids? The amount of poo is a LOT too! I know I am not eating that much! In fact I have lost more weight. My abdomen feels VERY empty now too. It had been really swollen and hard with trapped gas EVERY day but not so much gas anymore. In fact I have been quite relieved with the elimination of the horrible gas and pain it caused.

My diet is very simple as I am eliminating. No gluten, dairy, milk, or soy. Basic veggies (fresh) and simple prepared meat like thin, beef but mostly just chicken prepared with only a little salt/pepper and olive oil. Sometimes a little brown rice or mashed potatoes. Very bland and boring diet.

Isn't black poo a sign of internal bleeding? Am I panicking now? Do I need to call the dr and if so which one? OB, family, or GI?

Thank you all for your help!

Black and coffee ground poo is a sign of internal bleeding. You need to call a doctor, ANY doctor ASAP! I doubt it's your gallbladder because gallbladder issues usually present in NOT digesting food and yellow diarrhea. The bile goes straight through you.

gary'sgirl Explorer

I had my gallbladder out in February. I had very bad pain in my back that would spread to my front until it felt like all the way through the middle of my torso was in excruciating pain - I really wanted to die, that is no exaggeration. It would last for hours and the more attacks I would get the longer in duration they would last. I would also throw up and that got worse too as the attacks continued to get worse.

It definitely sounds like you are have another problem to me. You could be having gallbladder problems too, but black stool is not a good sign. You could call the family doc and they at least would know where to refer you. You can even call and talk to a nurse in the ER right now and they could tell you if you should do something immediately.

Either way call someone ASAP just in case.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I had my gallbladder out in February. I had very bad pain in my back that would spread to my front until it felt like all the way through the middle of my torso was in excruciating pain - I really wanted to die, that is no exaggeration. It would last for hours and the more attacks I would get the longer in duration they would last. I would also throw up and that got worse too as the attacks continued to get worse.

The above posting sounds like a gallbladder attack. Usually after eating some type of fatty foods.

Black poo could be internal bleeding (could be your ulcer). Also could be from medication or food. If you are taking iron it maybe the cause or eating a lot of green veggies. It is something to call your GI doctor about on Monday. Mention tarry black and grainy stools.

Bright red blood is probably the hemorrhoids. Looks scary but often is not. Increase your fiber intake. Yea, I know while on an elimation diet.

Note: the chicken, it can be injected with broth that may contain gluten. If you eat mashed potatoes that are already prepared they could contain gluten. Remember too that your kitchen might be contaminated with gluten. Toasters, plastic ware, wooden items and coated pans might cause cross contamination. Butters can be contaminated if used by people eating gluten. Also check all your personal care products and medications for gluten. Drinks can also be a problem. Some root beer and orange drinks are not gluten free.

You could ask here for a doctor in your area that specializes in Celiac Disease. Not many doctors (even GI) know exactly how to test for celiac disease. Also testing can be negative but you can be positive for Celiac Disease.

You do sound like you have more than one thing going on. Keep us informed on how you are doing.

kayo Explorer

It sounds like you have a lot going on. Definitely call your doctors and let them know. It could be bleeding or diet or even supllements, like iron. Meds like Pepto Bismal will also cause dark stools.

I would also say to skip the brown rice and eat white rice. The bran on the brown rice can be hard to digest. This could be causing you some discomfort while your body is in such distress.

Good luck!!

gary'sgirl Explorer

"The above posting sounds like a gallbladder attack. Usually after eating some type of fatty foods."

I just wanted to add that when I started having these attacks regularly I had been on a gluten free diet for a couple of weeks and was mostly eating veggies.

I was not eating fatty foods prior to attacks because along with taking gluten out of my diet I also took many other things out of my diet and am left with very few fats that I can tolerate.

So, it is possible to have attacks with out eating fatty or unhealthy foods, although, I know that is contrary to popular belief.

Then again, most of what I have been going through with Celiac Disease is contrary to popular belief. ;)

gary'sgirl Explorer

Oh! And one more thing, I really believe that most of my gallbladder attacks were from gluten cross contamination. :unsure:

I found out after the surgery that the rice flour I was buying from a local grociery store was selling some of their flours under a gluten free label that were milled in the same mill as wheat and other gluten grains. The company it self did not label it's flour as gluten free, but the store was using in their bulk bins and putting a very distinct GLUTEN FREE label on it. :ph34r:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marz Enthusiast

From what I've read, black poo is upper GI bleeding - so stomach ulcer, or something in the small intestine. Bright red is probably hemmaroids (sp?) and nothing to worry too much about.

I would definately recommend a trip to the doctor asap, and definately stress how bad it is - I don't think any doctor would take bleeding lightly. If you don't get anywhere, take a trip to the ER. And demand attention if they're still ignoring you. Bleeding is definately not good, but it may not be serious, may be serious, I don't think anyone could really tell here even if we had the medical knowledge. :P

Please let us know how it goes, hope you feel better soon. :(

Archived