26 replies to this topic

#1 S<3

S<3

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:33 PM

Can Celiac disease cause anxiety? I've been trying to figure out if they trigger each other, But i'm still not sure. Any advice would be extremly helpful!! Thanks (:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 yolo

yolo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:25 PM

Can Celiac disease cause anxiety? I've been trying to figure out if they trigger each other, But i'm still not sure. Any advice would be extremly helpful!! Thanks (:

Absolutely! Besides speaking from personal experience (its one of my number one difficulties with gluten, as well as migraines etc.), it has been shown by various studies to be a very common complaint for those who have celiac or severe gluten intolerance--this and a whole bunch of other neurological disorders that often create psychological as well as nervous system problems. Lactose and Casein can also be contributing factors. Theoretically a very high percentage of those with autism, schizophrenia and ADD have severe gluten intolerance. For myself it also contributed to a racing heart.

Bea
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#3 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:58 PM

I get anxious too when I'm glutened. Also a lot of celiacs are vitamin B12 deficient, which causes depression and anxiety.

#4 TaniaR

TaniaR

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:04 PM

Celiac disease runs in my family, as I also have it and it definitely can trigger anxiety. I overly sensitive to gluten but when i ingest it i get HORRIBLE anxiety. It can also affect your mood and many other symptoms besides just the regular gi ones. So i know how you feel the anxiety factor but the only way to keep it under control is being gluten-free unfortunately. However, I go to freeda.com to get my vitamins and they have a glycine powder that helps with anxiety and I have found that to help somewhat.

#5 rdunbar

rdunbar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:43 AM

gluten actually reduces the blood flow to the brain, so it's like your engine isn't firing on all cylinders. brain fog, anxiety, 'depression', ect... all make sense when you consider this.

#6 conniebky

conniebky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:02 AM

I freak out like a banchee in a hurricane when I eat gluten.
Be kind to each person that you meet, for everyone is fighting a great battle

#7 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:20 AM

gluten actually reduces the blood flow to the brain, so it's like your engine isn't firing on all cylinders. brain fog, anxiety, 'depression', ect... all make sense when you consider this.

Do you have a reference for that one? Kind of curious as I haven't seen anything like that in the literature I've been reading.

#8 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:23 AM

Anxiety became one of my worst symptoms in the year before diagnosis. I had anxiety attacks all day long for no reason. After only 2 days gluten free they went away after suffering for a year! Now if I get glutened anxiety is my first symptom.

I could care less what the literature says. The lit is wrong so much of the time. Many of us on here have anxiety due to celiac.
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

#9 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:12 PM

I suffered greatly with anxiety before going gluten-free. I dealt with it for years--panic attacks, too. I have been on the diet for over 5 years, and still get anxious when glutened. It's one of the first symptoms--and the last to go.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#10 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:51 PM

I could care less what the literature says. The lit is wrong so much of the time. Many of us on here have anxiety due to celiac.

So where do you go for accurate information? The National Enquirer? :lol: The lit is not wrong much of the time. It does tend to be over-interpreted and/or mis-interpreted by non-scientists. Small or poorly designed studies can get an awful lot of press. The bigger problem is that areas of inquiry are too limited by funding issues that arise from the realities of working within a capitalist framework.

I was just curious about the "reduced blood flow" bit. Sounds interesting.

Oh - and I totally have both anxiety and depression due to celiac. I'm not questioning that at all!

#11 pbsml

pbsml

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:58 PM

I was getting some intense anxiety, especially when I was experiencing any pains associated with my intolerance. My GP gave me xanax... well, actually, the cheap imitation version of it, which unluckily for me, contained GLUTEN. Awesome. Needless to say, he's no longer my GP.
trying to figure this whole thing out...

#12 Fey

Fey

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:07 PM

My anxiety has decreased about 80% since going gluten-free. Two and a half years ago, I'd quit my job, couldn't drive due to blacking out from anxiety in my car, had problems going to public places like grocery stores, and I was pretty much agoraphobic and depressed.

Took a few months (last year) of trying different medications to get me to the point where I could function in society again.

I have all but done away with my anti-depressants as well. Before if I skipped a dose, it was noticeable, now I got 2-3 days before realizing I've forgotten. Next appointment with my GP, I'll be discussing getting off them altogether :)
Newbie - Trying out the gluten-free diet since 6/08/10.

#13 Marz

Marz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:36 AM

Oh don't get me started on celiac + anxiety :P

Started having panic attacks out of the blue at the beginning of the year. The trigger was bad food poisoning, but I've been there before and never have I had *panic attacks* over feeling sick! Not a single attack since I went gluten-free, and it's definately a sign I've been accidently glutened when I start getting anxious again for no reason - usually I hunt through all my food for the past few days and find the source. <_<
Feb 2010 - Start of continuous GIT problems and panic attacks
July 2010 - Blood and biopsy -ve, went gluten free after testing which completely relieved symptoms
July 2011 - 1 year gluten free, food intolerances (Chicken, eggs, olives, goat milk) gone!

2012 - Soy no longer a problem
Gluten intolerant

#14 S<3

S<3

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:51 PM

Thanks so much for your help! I was diagnosed with severe anxiety that caused my life to completely change, but since I was diagnosed with Celiac and have been gluten free I haven't had one episode. I'm so glad to know the anxiety can be controlled!

#15 Albion

Albion

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:41 AM

This also makes sense of the terrible anxiety that comes with detox!
diagnosed IgG gluten intolerant October, 2011
diagnosed IgG casein intolerant December, 2011
diagnosed IgE allergic to eggs & bananas, January, 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: