#1 Kim27

Kim27

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:58 AM

Hey Everyone!

I am having annoying problems with mouth sores...what I would call a canker sore or an ulcer. I know this can be associated with Celiac disease (which I have)... To my point--- I am just curious to find out if you all get sores in different places in your mouths or do they tend to happen in just one part of your mouth, i.e., inside of lips, cheeks, or tongue. Mine always tend to be on the sides on tongue and I am wondering if this is weird or not?

Thanks!!!

---------------------------------------------------
Kim

Newly diagnosed Celiac trying to learn the ropes

Very Positive tTG 3/10
Positive EGD/Biopsy 4/10

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ksymonds84

ksymonds84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:03 AM

Hey Everyone!

I am having annoying problems with mouth sores...what I would call a canker sore or an ulcer. I know this can be associated with Celiac disease (which I have)... To my point--- I am just curious to find out if you all get sores in different places in your mouths or do they tend to happen in just one part of your mouth, i.e., inside of lips, cheeks, or tongue. Mine always tend to be on the sides on tongue and I am wondering if this is weird or not?

I don't get them as often now but would mostly get them on my tongue and around the sides of my tongue which as you know made it very painful to eat. Before my celiac diagnosis I got them all the time, now just once in awhile. Very acidic stuff like Franks hot sauce, pineapples, limes ect will sometimes cause them for me as well.
Kathy

Gluten free 3/08
Negative blood work/positive endoscopy
Fructose Malabsorption
Soy free

#3 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

Hey Everyone!

Nope...not weird at all! I got them on the sides of my mouth and on the sides of my tongue also. My dentist actually freaked out and thought I had mouth cancer because one of them would not heal. That was right before I was diagnosed and when I went gluten-free, all sores disappeared, never to return. The dentist, along with myself, got quite an education and I told her not to assume that a mouth sore=cancer and scare the crap out of people. Now, when she see's other patients with the problems I had, she talks to them about Celiac Disease first.

#4 Tina B

Tina B

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:02 PM

Hey Everyone!

I used to get them at least once a month but haven't had any since I have been gluten free...so 20 years.
Gluten free since 1990.
Diagnosed by duodenal biopsy.

You don't stop skiing because you get old. You get old because you stop skiing :-)

#5 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:39 PM

I used to get them often--mostly on the inside of my cheeks. Now, if I get into cross contamination, they reoccur.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#6 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:52 PM

I got them most often on the inside of my lower lip, or the inside of my cheeks where my teeth can catch. They went away after I was gluten-free for a while. It's so weird to bite the inside of my mouth and have it heal normally! If I eat gluten I'll often get one again.

#7 Kim27

Kim27

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for all the comments everyone! I was under the impression most people got them on the inside of their lower lip. I am glad to hear I'm not the only one with tongue problems. I used to get them more often than I do now, but I have a huge one on the side of my tongue now and it's really bothering me. I get them whenever I bite myself as well and sometimes it seems like they pop up for no reason, those are always on the sides of my tongue. Not fun.
Thanks!!!

Kim

Very Positive tTG 3/10
Positive EGD/Biopsy 4/10

#8 i-geek

i-geek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:43 PM

Mine are always on the sides of the tongue, right where my tongue bumps up against my molars. They're pretty much gone after 7 months gluten-free but flare up a bit if I'm CCed.

#9 kimann79

kimann79

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:08 PM

I've gotten them regularly since I was five. All over my tongue, my cheeks, inside my lips and sometimes down my throat. Very painful. I would miss school because of it.
I found that eliminating caffeine and artificial sweeteners reduced my outbreaks but I still get them fairly often- about once or twice a month. Right now my cheeks are a mess and I have a couple on the back of my tongue. My husband thinks I'm addicted to Chloraseptic (is that gluten free? I should check.)

#10 Kim27

Kim27

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:28 PM

Get your dentist to give you liquid dexamethasone. It works wonders! If I swab it a few times a day, mine will generally be gone in 1-2 days.
Thanks!!!

Kim

Very Positive tTG 3/10
Positive EGD/Biopsy 4/10

#11 Ruthie13

Ruthie13

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:06 AM

yep, I get them too, along the side of my tongue...soooo painful. Got one now after getting cc'd...argh not fun. Thought it was weird but clearly its not. Thanks for helping me feel a little more normal :)

#12 Smarts

Smarts

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:33 AM

Mine seemed to pop up pretty much anywhere, sides of my tongue, side of my mouth where there is a crease and behind my lips or on my gums over my teeth.

My ulcers always seemed to come in clusters, but I never gave it much thought as the doctors and dentists were never interested. Hadn't had one for quite a while - but after my first month of being gluten free I ate some gluten crackers this week - and voila I now have 2 beauties behind my lower lip!!

#13 Lori2

Lori2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:41 AM

My daughter has a major canker sore problem. Her physician finally sent her to Mayo Clinic for evaluation. They diagnosed her as having an iron absorbtion problem. As long as she can keep her iron levels up (difficult to do) she is free of canker sores. But I wonder if she actually has a gluten problem which is interferring with her iron absorbtion.

#14 Emsstacey

Emsstacey

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

I have had a lifelong problem with mouth sores. I even get them on my throat and soft palate. Last year, I read an article stating that over 90% of sufferers no longer had mouth sores after taking 1000mcg B12 sublingually. I started taking it and rarely ever have a mouth sore now.

I think mine were/are related to B12 deficiency most likely celiac related. I have had other neuro symptoms that have improved as well.

#15 naiiad

naiiad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:37 PM

I had really bad mouth sores before going wheat-free. I'd have 5-7 at a time, usually on the roof of my mouth, or on the same side of my tongue. When it got really bad, I'd even find a painful few in my nostrils, and even more painful ones, well, on (okay inside) my butt (hole). D:

Two days after going wheat free, I stopped getting new sores, and within a week all the sores healed completely.

I think its pretty common to get sores in the same area. Not sure why. I'd suggest tea tree oil or salt water to treat them ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: