This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

*lucy's* Cookies........ Anyone Tried Them?

concernedmamma

concernedmamma Explorer

I am somewhat frustrated and confused. I asked at Starbucks if they had anything Gluten Free as I had heard that they did. They have these small bags of cookies- the brand is lucy's. I was so excited because my son would love to have a treat when I get my coffee. Once I sat down and read them, I noticed that on the front of the bag it says 'no milk. eggs, wheat, barley or rye'. Oh oh- why would they list all of that and not say Gluten Free? Sure enough, I read the ingredients and there is 'specially selected oat flour' and specially selected oats. It does say that there is less than 1/13 of a cup (I think per pouch, which is 4 cookies).

This statement is right on their home page

"We use the best available methods to ensure there are no detectable allergens from our testing list: gluten, milk, eggs, peanuts and almonds."

I did not allow my son to eat them as we are currently avoiding oats as per the GI recommendation for the first 6 months. Would you have eaten them? I am kinda upset that Starbucks is handing them out stating they are gluten free, although I KNOW it is my own responsibility to read the label.

Any insight? As a side note, I tried the cookies and they are REALLY tasty! As well they are nut and peanut free which is nice as few gluten free products are and we like to share treats with our friend who has tree and peanut allergies!

Kim, Mommy to 4 wonderful kiddos!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mizzo Enthusiast

My understanding is:

There is no gluten in Oats. Oats are consider cross contaminated because they are grown in the same fields as Wheat , Rye and Barley.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

They supposidly use certified gluten-free oats. My kids have tried them, are super sensitive, and no reaction. None of us liked them though, the bean flour taste was too strong.

2 sources:

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

Skylark Collaborator

An estimated 10-15% of celiacs react to oat aveenin as if it were gluten. Oats of any sort are definitely not safe for newly diagnosed folks. The recommendation I've seen is to avoid oats until antibodies are gone. Then add them and get re-tested after eating gluten-free oats for a while to be sure thy haven't done any damage.

Starbuck's is supposed to carry Kind bars, which are gluten-free and made from dried fruit and nuts. I really like them.

mommida Enthusiast

If you are looking for an awesome pre-made gluten free cookie, try Liz Lovely. My favorite is the choclate fudge! Order on-line by the case and use the code Liz Rocks (no spaces) for a discount. Gluten eaters love them too!

I've tried the Lucy's cookies and we didn't have any reaction problems. The Lucy's doesn't even compare as real cookies compared to Liz Lovely.

Ingredients for Gluten free chocolate fudge....

VEGAN

evaproated cane juice*

fair trade chocolate chips*

cocoa liquor*

cane sugar*

cocoa butter*

soy lecithin*

vanilla extract*

rice flour*

palm fruit oil*

vermont well water

fairly tradedcocoa*

potato starch, tapioca starch,

unsulpured molasses*

vanilla extract*

baking soda, sea salt, xanthan gum

*certified organic ingredients

contains SOY

and yes there is a CYA statement about the facility also using wheat, peanuts, and tree nuts. The chocolate chips are produced in a facility that uses dairy.

digmom1014 Enthusiast

I think there are only 4 in a bag. They are a bit on the crisp/hard side and of all of the flavors the chocolate chip is the best. However, for me they are a "middle of the road" representative of a gluten-free cookie.

Darn210 Enthusiast

I guess I'm going against the trend . . . I loved the sugar cookies (haven't had any of the other flavors).

My daughter was able to actually eat a few (I hoarded most of them for myself) and she had no reaction. They are a crunchy cookie but I like some-types of crunchy cookies so I was good with that.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RideAllWays Enthusiast

I was so so sick from these cookies. But maybe I am one of those Celiacs that can't eat oats..

• 2 years later...
Maxi Rookie

These also made me very sick. One time I ate 1-2 and was ok but when I ate a few more the next time (like 4-5) I was really sick the next day, Sad cause they tasted good too. :(

kareng Grand Master

These also made me very sick. One time I ate 1-2 and was ok but when I ate a few more the next time (like 4-5) I was really sick the next day, Sad cause they tasted good too. :(

Some or all of them have gluten-free oat in them. Perhaps that is your issue?

Maxi Rookie

Yes, I must be one of the celiacs who react to oats too.

mamaupupup Contributor

I had them in my hand at WF this week--and put them back on the shelf due to oats. We are avoiding oats for a year, then re-introducing gluten-free certified oats only slowly at that time.

:)

Archived