Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

*lucy's* Cookies........ Anyone Tried Them?

• Please log in to reply

11 replies to this topic

#1 concernedmamma

concernedmamma

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:21 PM

I am somewhat frustrated and confused. I asked at Starbucks if they had anything Gluten Free as I had heard that they did. They have these small bags of cookies- the brand is lucy's. I was so excited because my son would love to have a treat when I get my coffee. Once I sat down and read them, I noticed that on the front of the bag it says 'no milk. eggs, wheat, barley or rye'. Oh oh- why would they list all of that and not say Gluten Free? Sure enough, I read the ingredients and there is 'specially selected oat flour' and specially selected oats. It does say that there is less than 1/13 of a cup (I think per pouch, which is 4 cookies).

This statement is right on their home page
"We use the best available methods to ensure there are no detectable allergens from our testing list: gluten, milk, eggs, peanuts and almonds."

I did not allow my son to eat them as we are currently avoiding oats as per the GI recommendation for the first 6 months. Would you have eaten them? I am kinda upset that Starbucks is handing them out stating they are gluten free, although I KNOW it is my own responsibility to read the label.

Any insight? As a side note, I tried the cookies and they are REALLY tasty! As well they are nut and peanut free which is nice as few gluten free products are and we like to share treats with our friend who has tree and peanut allergies!

Kim, Mommy to 4 wonderful kiddos!
Kim
Son1-lifelong diarrhea and generally unwell. Diagnosed March 2010 with positive blood work end endoscopy-finally feeling better August 2011
Son2-Diagnosed August2011 Bloodwork only.
Me-Positive bloodwork October 2011, Endoscopy booked November 15th.
Daughter1-no symptoms, negative bloodwork twice
Daugher 2- no symptoms, no bloodwork yet.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mizzo

Mizzo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

My understanding is:

There is no gluten in Oats. Oats are consider cross contaminated because they are grown in the same fields as Wheat , Rye and Barley.

#3 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:07 PM

They supposidly use certified gluten-free oats. My kids have tried them, are super sensitive, and no reaction. None of us liked them though, the bean flour taste was too strong.

2 sources:
http://www.drlucys.com/cookies/oatmeal

http://www.drlucys.c.../certifications

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#4 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:37 PM

An estimated 10-15% of celiacs react to oat aveenin as if it were gluten. Oats of any sort are definitely not safe for newly diagnosed folks. The recommendation I've seen is to avoid oats until antibodies are gone. Then add them and get re-tested after eating gluten-free oats for a while to be sure thy haven't done any damage.

Starbuck's is supposed to carry Kind bars, which are gluten-free and made from dried fruit and nuts. I really like them.

#5 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:26 AM

If you are looking for an awesome pre-made gluten free cookie, try Liz Lovely. My favorite is the choclate fudge! Order on-line by the case and use the code Liz Rocks (no spaces) for a discount. Gluten eaters love them too!
I've tried the Lucy's cookies and we didn't have any reaction problems. The Lucy's doesn't even compare as real cookies compared to Liz Lovely.
Ingredients for Gluten free chocolate fudge....
VEGAN
evaproated cane juice*
fair trade chocolate chips*
cocoa liquor*
cane sugar*
cocoa butter*
soy lecithin*
vanilla extract*
rice flour*
palm fruit oil*
vermont well water
fairly tradedcocoa*
potato starch, tapioca starch,
unsulpured molasses*
vanilla extract*
baking soda, sea salt, xanthan gum
*certified organic ingredients
contains SOY

and yes there is a CYA statement about the facility also using wheat, peanuts, and tree nuts. The chocolate chips are produced in a facility that uses dairy.
Michigan

#6 digmom1014

digmom1014

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:30 AM

I think there are only 4 in a bag. They are a bit on the crisp/hard side and of all of the flavors the chocolate chip is the best. However, for me they are a "middle of the road" representative of a gluten-free cookie.
Sarah

"What comes around, goes around"

#7 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:45 AM

I guess I'm going against the trend . . . I loved the sugar cookies (haven't had any of the other flavors).

My daughter was able to actually eat a few (I hoarded most of them for myself) and she had no reaction. They are a crunchy cookie but I like some-types of crunchy cookies so I was good with that.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#8 RideAllWays

RideAllWays

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:07 PM

I was so so sick from these cookies. But maybe I am one of those Celiacs that can't eat oats..

#9 Maxi

Maxi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:45 AM

These also made me very sick. One time I ate 1-2 and was ok but when I ate a few more the next time (like 4-5) I was really sick the next day, Sad cause they tasted good too. :(

#10 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:52 AM

These also made me very sick. One time I ate 1-2 and was ok but when I ate a few more the next time (like 4-5) I was really sick the next day, Sad cause they tasted good too. :(

Some or all of them have gluten-free oat in them. Perhaps that is your issue?

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#11 Maxi

Maxi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:02 AM

Yes, I must be one of the celiacs who react to oats too.

#12 mamaupupup

mamaupupup

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

I had them in my hand at WF this week--and put them back on the shelf due to oats. We are avoiding oats for a year, then re-introducing gluten-free certified oats only slowly at that time.

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: