This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Incredible Edible Egg

Wheatfreedude

Wheatfreedude Apprentice

There have been numerous postings about people who want to get more protein on the go. Instead of your SWEET favorite "before bed snack", consider 2 hard boiled eggs instead (sans the yoke if you want to cut the cholesterol).

Remember, when you sleep... your body gets nothing for 8 hours. You might as well give your stomach a fill of nature's nearly perfect protein source. (unless you happen to have an egg allergy).

Nearly every store has a dozen on sale for 99 cents. Boiled them all and then you'll have easy HI PROTEIN snacks throughout the day!

~Wheatfreedude~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

There have been numerous postings about people who want to get more protein on the go. Instead of your SWEET favorite "before bed snack", consider 2 hard boiled eggs instead (sans the yoke if you want to cut the cholesterol).

Remember, when you sleep... your body gets nothing for 8 hours. You might as well give your stomach a fill of nature's nearly perfect protein source. (unless you happen to have an egg allergy).

Nearly every store has a dozen on sale for 99 cents. Boiled them all and then you'll have easy HI PROTEIN snacks throughout the day!

~Wheatfreedude~

Thank you Dude! I love scrambled eggs with a little red bell pepper and tomato on a piece of toast. I think eggs taste soo much better since going gluten-free. Was never big on meat, either. Now I think it tastes much better. :P

Skylark Collaborator

Thanks! You have such a sensible approach to nutrition. I love reading your posts.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

This is good advice. I use hard boiled eggs as a portable meal/snack when I'm traveling. We drove halfway across the country a few months ago. I packed a cooler with hardboiled eggs, raw veggies (cleaned and cut), grilled chicken breasts, and salad (along with various non-perishable snacks like dried fruit and nuts). We ate some eggs for breakfast in the car. When we stopped for our first lunch stop (at a rest area), we pulled out the salad and chicken and had chef's salad with more eggs. The eggs stayed fresh packed in ice (and moved in to a couple different fridges along the way) for our whole trip (5 days). We ate the last egg's on the drive home. They kept us alert, full and satisfied. Best snack we had with us. The banana chips I brought were much too sweet for a snack in the car (and they had no added sugar). Protein works better for alertness than sugar or carbs IMO.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Thank you Dude! I love scrambled eggs with a little red bell pepper and tomato on a piece of toast. I think eggs taste soo much better since going gluten-free. Was never big on meat, either. Now I think it tastes much better. :P

I have to agree with this! I used to be a vegetarian simply because I wasn't crazy about meat. Now I crave meat if I'm low on iron and it tastes better to me. Eggs too. I never liked eggs for breakfast much, but now I eat them at least 3 times a week.

NorthernElf Enthusiast

Eggs are indeed awesome protein - a complete protein and easily digestible. Keep some yolks though...good nutrition in there as well.

My favorite breakfast (ha ha, celiac style)....

1 cup or so of steamed brown rice (I keep steamed rice in my fridge)

1 egg

a sprinkle of dried cranberries & some chopped walnuts

...mix it all together and microwave until the egg is cooked (2 minutes or so) and you have a nutritional breakfast with complex carbs, complete protein, healthy fats, and some fruit

Wheatfreedude Apprentice

Protein works better for alertness than sugar or carbs IMO.

Amen! As much as I preach about this, friends and co-workers always grab the "usual suspects" when they start feeling tired (Diet sodas, coffee, candy bars, and sugar).

If you are that type of person or you know of someone, have them try a week of substituting a HI-PROTEIN in the afternoon instead of the aforementioned items:

- Hard Boiled Egg

- Low fat cottage cheese

- Low fat lunch meats

- Unsalted almonds or walnuts

- A protein shake made with water

It usually picks me up in about 10 minutes.

~Wheatfreedude~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wheatfreedude Apprentice

eggs with a little red bell pepper and tomato on a piece of toast.

I have, yet, a few more additions and "secrets" for your eggs. Don't get me wrong, our body needs our GOOD fats (fish oil, nuts, avocado, etc.).... but when making prepared foods adopt a new motto:

"Add flavor not fat".

With that said, I applaud your addition of red peppers. I actually buy the jarred and pre-roasted whole ones. You only need to pull one out at a time and dice it. A jar will usually last me about a week (there's about 7 whole red peppers in each)

Secondly, do you have one of these locally owned spice shops in your town? They sell small jars of spice blends that you can't find in regular supermarkets. And, they're usually about $4 per jar and they last for months.

Ask the local spice shop owners for suggestions. And, don't forget to ask about some of the all natural cheese powders that will add plenty of flavor without fat.

Keep egggin' people on about eggs!

~Wheatfreedude~

kareng Grand Master

Natural cheese powders? I will look at the little spice store that is near here. That sinus good for popcorn. I just bought sumac, a Persian spice. So good on rice and chicken! Just be careful to get the pure without the salt.

Wheatfreedude Apprentice

Natural cheese powders? I will look at the little spice store that is near here. That sinus good for popcorn. I just bought sumac, a Persian spice. So good on rice and chicken! Just be careful to get the pure without the salt.

Yes, your local spice shop is FULL of a variety flavors that "add flavor" and not fat. Go have a conversation with the owner and they will have a plethora of ideas for combinations.

And be adventurous! Instead of dashing the typical salt onto a hard boiled egg or in an omellette, use a spice that might just be for pork chops of even a roast. I know it sounds crazy, but the flavors will explode in your mouth. And, it will be a new combination that you palate has never experienced.

In dealing with Celiac's disease, I have found that new flavors are a way to combat the ho-hum of the same thing every day.

~Wheatfreedude~

kareng Grand Master

Yes, your local spice shop is FULL of a variety flavors that "add flavor" and not fat. Go have a conversation with the owner and they will have a plethora of ideas for combinations.

And be adventurous! Instead of dashing the typical salt onto a hard boiled egg or in an omellette, use a spice that might just be for pork chops of even a roast. I know it sounds crazy, but the flavors will explode in your mouth. And, it will be a new combination that you palate has never experienced.

In dealing with Celiac's disease, I have found that new flavors are a way to combat the ho-hum of the same thing every day.

~Wheatfreedude~

Went to the spice shop. Got a nice mix of Romano, parm, garlic & basil. Also, smoked paprika and anchiote powder that are hard to find around here.

Wheatfreedude Apprentice

Went to the spice shop. Got a nice mix of Romano, parm, garlic & basil. Also, smoked paprika and anchiote powder that are hard to find around here.

Nice spice mixes! Believe it or not, my favorite egg spices are actually designed for pork/beef roasts. It creates a unique flavor -- even though it wasn't designed for eggs.

~Wheatfreedude~

• 3 weeks later...
TrickyMama Apprentice

Even better yet, buy the organic brown eggs. You can get them at Costco. I swear they taste even better than regular white eggs. Even my seven year old son can tell when I make his scrambled eggs. If you are an egg lover, you owe it to yourself to try these. My own mouth is watering thinking about it! Now I have to go find those spices you were talking about...

Archived